Author Topic: One Way to Save the Planet?  (Read 403 times)

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
One Way to Save the Planet?
« on: March 06, 2011, 05:01:37 PM »
Scientists plan on shooting one species of owl. In an effort to save another, that can't seem to make it on it's own.

I couldn't make this up.  :O
http://www.redding.com/news/2011/mar/05/scientists-plan-to-shoot-owls-to-save-related/

It's a crazy world we live in. :headscratch:
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
Re: One Way to Save the Planet?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 05:11:10 PM »
 :furious :furious :rolleyes: :cry :cry

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 05:13:35 PM »
Scientists plan on shooting one species of owl. In an effort to save another, that can't seem to make it on it's own.

I couldn't make this up.  :O
http://www.redding.com/news/2011/mar/05/scientists-plan-to-shoot-owls-to-save-related/

It's a crazy world we live in. :headscratch:

It's not that crazy.  If that owl is higher up than the other one in the foodchain, and it can be conclusively shown that: a) the owl they're going to shoot is killing off the other type of owl and b) that there is a clear reason why the second type needs to be keep alive and in large numbers...then why not?  However there is something to be said for just letting nature take its course...

Also, your title for this thread is...somewhat 'disingenuous', to put it mildly.

:furious :furious :rolleyes: :cry :cry

Huh?  Having reread the article, their plan is actually quite logical.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 05:17:26 PM by Yossarian »
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 05:18:41 PM »
Good luck getting that passed into society without protest  :mad:
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 08:31:20 PM »
i don't suppose it occurred to those "geniuses" (using the term very loosely) to trap and relocate the barred owls to regions away from the spotted owl populations? sounds like a bunch of politicians trying to fix the economy...idiots
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 08:37:33 PM »
Knoc-knock.

Who's there?

Who.

Who, who?

Helen, we have an owl out here in the hall.  :D

A cookie for the first to guess what movie that's from.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 08:49:31 PM »
I wasnt going to subject you guys to my planet saving ideas but you opened the door

For many years, it has been known that warm water is less bouyant than cold water. This is why ships have not one, but several, lines painted on their hulls. These are load-level markings for different water conditions. Basically, for any given loading, a ship will sink deeper in tropical waters than it will in winter Antarctic conditions, and there can be a considerable difference in the amount of water displaced.
  Of course, there are a lot of supertankers out there sitting low in the water. If you think about it, when a supertanker sits low in the water, that means its pushing the worlds oceans up a bit.
  If supertankers didn't sit so low in the water, they wouldn't displace so much water and if less water were displaced coastal water levels would go down a bit. Once that is understood, the solution becomes obvious. Just throw a grapling line around the icebergs floating around Antarctica and tow them north.
  Its a win-win scenario, as some politicians would probaly say. They would cool the tropical waters, the supertankers would float higher and coastal water levels will go down.

I'm surprised no one has already thought of it.

No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 08:51:30 PM »
ah, classic biological control.  It will backfire.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Sonicblu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 09:25:51 PM »
I wasnt going to subject you guys to my planet saving ideas but you opened the door

For many years, it has been known that warm water is less bouyant than cold water. This is why ships have not one, but several, lines painted on their hulls. These are load-level markings for different water conditions. Basically, for any given loading, a ship will sink deeper in tropical waters than it will in winter Antarctic conditions, and there can be a considerable difference in the amount of water displaced.
  Of course, there are a lot of supertankers out there sitting low in the water. If you think about it, when a supertanker sits low in the water, that means its pushing the worlds oceans up a bit.
  If supertankers didn't sit so low in the water, they wouldn't displace so much water and if less water were displaced coastal water levels would go down a bit. Once that is understood, the solution becomes obvious. Just throw a grapling line around the icebergs floating around Antarctica and tow them north.
  Its a win-win scenario, as some politicians would probaly say. They would cool the tropical waters, the supertankers would float higher and coastal water levels will go down.

I'm surprised no one has already thought of it.

How about just get rid of all boats/ships wouldn't that do the same thing.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 11:02:26 PM »
maybe we should just effing stop trying to play god.........who the hell are WE to decide that one species has to end?????  :mad: :furious :bhead
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 11:20:10 PM »
maybe we should just effing stop trying to play god.........who the hell are WE to decide that one species has to end?????  :mad: :furious :bhead

They're not saying that one species should end.
Just that it's too successful and certain concessions need to be made for the less adaptable, protected owl to hopefully one day be successful.

Hmmm. :headscratch:

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 11:33:46 PM »
They're not saying that one species should end.
Just that it's too successful and certain concessions need to be made for the less adaptable, protected owl to hopefully one day be successful.

Hmmm. :headscratch:

welll....maybe there's a reason it's evolved to be more successful.

didn't mean to come off like i did in my first post......but owls are cool.........leave em the hell alone. go kill some criminals if they wanna kill something that badly.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 11:47:38 PM »
Fish and Wildlife doesn't have estimates of how many barred and spotted owls are in the woods, she said. Developing population estimates will be part of the study.

so if they don't know how many of either species....how the hell do they know that there is really a problem/?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 11:59:18 PM »
welll....maybe there's a reason it's evolved to be more successful.

didn't mean to come off like i did in my first post......but owls are cool.........leave em the hell alone. go kill some criminals if they wanna kill something that badly.

I'm with you CAP.  :aok
When I first heard of this plan I was like  :huh  I even looked at the date of the story to see if it was 4/1. I first read about it online so I was like yeah right this is bs. Then our local rag comes out with the story I linked, and again I'm like  :O

It's looking more and more like the inmates are running the asylum everyday.