Author Topic: Need help quick...  (Read 415 times)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
Need help quick...
« on: December 25, 2011, 11:17:53 AM »
How do you tell if a DIMM is bad?  The Intel clocking software is telling me that my memory is running at 1033 and all 12 gigs are 1600.  It worked fine last night and when I logged it started this at every Window's loadup.  It offers me the option to revert back to the last working configuration but when I do it, it still gives me the error at Windows startup.  The system is running but slightly sluggish.

Also, when I re-start, the rig comes on, but before the startup, it turns itself off and then it goes into startup again, runs through the bios and starts fine until it gets to Windows and then the Intel software fires up and gives me the error message above.  Additionally, the Intel software says I'm only running 1 core and if memory serves me, it used to say 4 cores were running.

I have tried to change the DIMM settings in the bios as well and they go back to 1033 after I have manually changed it to 1666 so its not holding the manual settings.  H E L P!

Changeup

ASUS Sabertooth X58 MB
Corsair Dominator Memory - 1600 mhz (6 X 2 gig)
nVidia GTX 460 X 2 (SLI) - Factory Superclocked 1 gig, DDR5
Antec Earthwatts 750W PS - 80, Gold
10000 RPM Raptor - 600 gig HD SATA 6
7200 RPM Barracuda - 2 TB HD SATA 6
Core i7 950
Cooler Master 212 Plus heat sink
LG Blue Ray/Writer
Windows 7
Thermaltake Black v9 case with top loading hot-swappable HD bays
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 11:20:02 AM by Changeup »
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Need help quick...
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 11:33:11 AM »
Take ram out one at a time. When one is out and the computer works, bada-bing.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 11:40:11 AM »
you could try memtest, make sure get the correct version for your OS. (64 bit)
http://www.memtest86.com/download.html
memtest has directions and it is easy. I have it on cd, put in cd/dvd player. Reboot PC and start from dvd player. Make sure BIOS is set to boot 1st from cd/dvd player. Memtest will show errors if there are errors, but wil not tell which DIMM it is ( the last I remember, I havn't used memtest in couple years now).

also you could try just running DIMM 1 at a time and switching them out. Also run at rated speed 1600.

Is the voltage coorect for the RAM you have?

The system has you running 1 core though? Are you doing any overclocking? Something in settings get messed up?

I just googled this intel running 1033 on 1600 RAM I don't have time to research at the moment.

extra thought, might want to go to corsair forums, if there are any and look in the forums. might find similar problems.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 12:11:08 PM by cattb »
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 11:47:23 AM »
you could try memtest, make sure get the correct version for your OS. (64 bit)
http://www.memtest86.com/download.html
memtest has directions and it is easy. I have it on cd, put in cd/dvd player. Reboot PC and start from dvd player. Make sure BIOS is set to boot 1st from cd/dvd player. Memtest will show errors if there are errors, but wil not tell which DIMM it is ( the last I remember, I havn't used memtest in couple years now).

also you could try just running DIMM 1 at a time and switching them out. Also run at rated speed 1600.

Is the voltage coorect for the RAM you have?

The system has you running 1 core though? Are you doing any overclocking? Something in settings get messed up?

I just googled this intel running 1033 on 1600 RAM I don't have time to research at the moment.

I tried to let the Intel software recommend a voltage change and it took...till this.  The bios can be set to override the Intel software and I can let the bios set the voltage automatically on its own.

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 12:02:50 PM »
being that you are using an ASUS MB, and your Ram is Corsair..... it probably is downclocking it off the get go and you need to use the  1st XMP Memory profile to reach the original clocked 1600  ........ the 2nd or 3rd  XMP memory profiles should over clock your memory to like 1866  then for the 3rd profile  2000............. if I remember correctly....

that is how 2 of my newest ASUS MB's worked using  Corsair Vengeance 1600 mhz DIMMS ........... it automatically downclocked them at default....  I had to go in and use my 1st built in memory profile to get my 1600

not sure if this is what you are experiencing or not

God Luck ( and yes, test them  1 DIMM at a time,  you should get a beep code  when you find a bad DIMM ....... if you have the little PC speaker plugged in to the MB )

hope this is of some help

edit: also their is a chance that the Intel software is reading the clock speed wrong, it could be actually putting out at 1600 mhz, but is reporting 1033 in the Intel software possibly ........  I use AIDA64 Extreme to get my readings , their are other programs out there that will do the same / nearly the same

TC
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 12:06:51 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 12:34:51 PM »
I tried to let the Intel software recommend a voltage change and it took...till this.  The bios can be set to override the Intel software and I can let the bios set the voltage automatically on its own.

I would check the recommended Corsair RAM kit voltage and then goto bios and just check and make sure the proper voltage is set by the BIOS. I would do this myself just for troubleshooting. Move on to the next step of trouble shooting.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
being that you are using an ASUS MB, and your Ram is Corsair..... it probably is downclocking it off the get go and you need to use the  1st XMP Memory profile to reach the original clocked 1600  ........ the 2nd or 3rd  XMP memory profiles should over clock your memory to like 1866  then for the 3rd profile  2000............. if I remember correctly....

that is how 2 of my newest ASUS MB's worked using  Corsair Vengeance 1600 mhz DIMMS ........... it automatically downclocked them at default....  I had to go in and use my 1st built in memory profile to get my 1600

not sure if this is what you are experiencing or not

God Luck ( and yes, test them  1 DIMM at a time,  you should get a beep code  when you find a bad DIMM ....... if you have the little PC speaker plugged in to the MB )

hope this is of some help

edit: also their is a chance that the Intel software is reading the clock speed wrong, it could be actually putting out at 1600 mhz, but is reporting 1033 in the Intel software possibly ........  I use AIDA64 Extreme to get my readings , their are other programs out there that will do the same / nearly the same

TC

I have gone into the bios and forced the freq to 1600 and it kicks it down on reboot...the MB has a memory monitor that turns red when I find the bad DIMM I think.  I just installed 6 more gigs so my bet is one of them were bad.  I got a deal on it at Fry's because it was opened.  I think I just took a screwing.

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 01:49:17 PM »
try going back to the original 6 gig see what happens.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 02:14:37 PM »
try going back to the original 6 gig see what happens.

Doing it right now...

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 02:20:45 PM »
are you trying to overclock from within windows and from bios?  do not overclock from windows it has caused problems for me in the past.  read somewhere in both my mobo's forums that it should only be done from within bios for it to be completely stable.

check your mobo's forums see if there is any problems associated with using that type of ram

one last thing i noticed with my mobo and nobody could tell me why.  I have 4x4 gigs of ram.  i first bought 1 2x4 set then couple of months later another pair for a total of 16.  installed first set in 1 and 3 and second in 2 and 4 slots.  but if i mix the two sets of exactly the same ram i bought at different times, it wont boot.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 02:45:44 PM »
Ok...as it is with Murphy's Law, it was the last DIMM installed.  I removed it and it runs like a champ.

TC, you Semp were correct.  The American Megatrends bios is the base for any adjustments made to the system and has to be manually upped.  Once it's upped, the Intel software will manage it but the correct initial inputs have to be in the bios before the bios will allow Intel's software to manage the clocking and voltage.  Intel had in undervolted as TC said and recommended the voltages that are printed on the DIMM's themselves so I let it perform the recommended increases.  

I will run with 14 gigs until tomorrow!  Thanks gentlemen

PS - TC, great website too...thanks.

Changeup