• Silver Member
Re: Subs
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 05:32:51 PM »

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 06:32:34 PM »
-1 because they would be UTTERLY USELESS.  Explain please how you figure to get a U-Boat (which has a maximum speed of 20 kts surfaced and 10 kts dived) into firing position on a CV group which is running around at 30+ knots.  You might have a chance if you spent all day running your boat into close proximity of a Port, then hoping that someone popped the CV and it respawns near you, but other than that you have no chance.

Subs would be a complete waste of development time and resources that could best be spent updating other aircraft, adding other vehicles, or designing and adding a surface battleship group (which might have some actual USE during amphibious operations).

Eagle
$.02

Offline fullmetalbullet

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 07:24:03 PM »
-1 because they would be UTTERLY USELESS.  Explain please how you figure to get a U-Boat (which has a maximum speed of 20 kts surfaced and 10 kts dived) into firing position on a CV group which is running around at 30+ knots.  You might have a chance if you spent all day running your boat into close proximity of a Port, then hoping that someone popped the CV and it respawns near you, but other than that you have no chance.

Subs would be a complete waste of development time and resources that could best be spent updating other aircraft, adding other vehicles, or designing and adding a surface battleship group (which might have some actual USE during amphibious operations).

Eagle
$.02

only if they add merchant fleets for the resupply of fields and ports, then yeah they could be used, but wi think i would be the only one dumb enough to take a sub out. plus with their slow speed the fuel it would need would stretch into a 1 day maybe a half a day worth of fuel before needing to refuel.
"Cry Havoc, And Let Slip The Dogs Of War" Julius Caesar

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 07:54:50 PM »
as it got lighter, it would get faster, no? i know we started on this conversation in another thread, but at least this one is dedicated to it.

only if they add merchant fleets for the resupply of fields and ports, then yeah they could be used, but wi think i would be the only one dumb enough to take a sub out. plus with their slow speed the fuel it would need would stretch into a 1 day maybe a half a day worth of fuel before needing to refuel.

i say +1 to the idea of merchant fleets/convoys, would be a bit more realistic than the little bunch of barges and a tugboat we have now... and because they would have to go as slow s the slowest ship IN the convoy, the subs might have a chance, if they didnt, they could just get a lead on the convoy. and because were wishing for subs, might as well bring up the subject of flying boats. SUNDERLAND was/would be amazing :rock and maybe the catalina as well, with depth charges.

Offline fullmetalbullet

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 08:04:43 PM »
as it got lighter, it would get faster, no? i know we started on this conversation in another thread, but at least this one is dedicated to it.
i say +1 to the idea of merchant fleets/convoys, would be a bit more realistic than the little bunch of barges and a tugboat we have now... and because they would have to go as slow s the slowest ship IN the convoy, the subs might have a chance, if they didnt, they could just get a lead on the convoy. and because were wishing for subs, might as well bring up the subject of flying boats. SUNDERLAND was/would be amazing :rock and maybe the catalina as well, with depth charges.

i already brought up the PBY-4 Catalina. they first need to make water truely water and not blue painted ground where only ships and PT boats can go.

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 08:13:45 PM »
that was another point that i forgot to mention. if they're going to have subs, they're going to need to add an entirely new dimension to the game-->give the water depth, because OBVIOUSLY submarines dove and resurfaced. i mean, they wouldnt have to keep it going forever, but at least for 100ft or so (thats the test depth that the UCII was given) so that you could have some form of hiding. and visibility from the surface..?

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 09:10:47 PM »
OHOHOHOHOH another thing :D was there a glitch, does anyone know, offline with the pt boat on open water and putting winds at 127? when that happened, the pt boat would sink, and if you looked down, there was like, this endless blue space with the pt boat becoming smaller and smaller. anybody else notice this?

Offline fbEagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 07:26:56 PM »
<Insert witty remark here>

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 07:57:31 PM »
Release the Kraken....   :noid
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline fullmetalbullet

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 08:04:40 PM »

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 08:07:58 PM »
... i feel like the last couple of pictures might have been aimed towards me.  :bolt:

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 08:11:48 PM »

Eagle
$.02

HTC is smart enough to know this, and take it into consideration.  There have been previous threads where hitech has expressed his interest in having subs at some point and acknowledged the need to address the speed issue.  My point is, HTC isn't going to release something that couldn't actually interact in game-play. 
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.