Author Topic: Learning curves ?  (Read 1616 times)

Offline TheDude

• Zinc Member
Re: Learning curves ?
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2011, 01:31:36 PM »
its hard..but to me thats what makes it fun for me....i really enjoy knowing that someone else is flying that cartoon plane and besting them
TheDude

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2011, 01:52:23 PM »
The only thing I can think of to add, is that the amount of time you play makes a big difference.  The "Best" I ever was, I  was playing a ton of hours, had the wife mad at me for the one and only time that I've been 'flying' and it's about all I was thinking about.  I was tough to beat, but I reached a point where I wasn't having fun anymore. 

Not saying that's true of everyone, but there is a balance between understanding the ACM and the tricks of the trade and applying them often enough to maintain your edge.  I consider myself able to put up a fairly good fight when I run up against a good stick, but I don't fly enough anymore to not suffer from the rust when I'm in that fight.

All that being said, I think the biggest challenge is to continue getting better while not losing sight of having fun each time you fly.  It can sometimes be a tough balance, in particular when you are having 'one of those nights' where you feel like nothing is working.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2011, 02:12:32 PM »
Arrange training sessions with a AH Trainner
practice your gunnery skills

JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2011, 03:07:28 PM »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2011, 11:20:26 AM »
Hmmm one thing I noticed was missing from all the suggestions and advice. Pick one plane and stick with it for several weeks at least until you REALLY learn the strengths and weaknesses of that particular airframe. I remember way back when, when I first started playing I was trying every plane in the set, one after the other, and getting my butt handed to me all the time. When I finally calmed down and picked a ride and stuck with it, I found my K/D ratio steadily climbing and my overall performance improving. Most of the top sticks from when I was playing on a regular basis had a small handfull of aircraft they excelled in and they flew those aircraft all the time. Get them out of their comfort zone and most of them turned into average to slightly above average sticks. Put them into their ride of choice and they were deadly.

Now I haven't been playing for several years now, but the itch is back and I should be back in the virtual skies again soon. I plan on picking a ride and flying it almost exclusively, and most likely it will be a midwar type aircraft. Alot of peoples scores should go way up once I start playing again.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline jd

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2011, 11:50:24 AM »
I hit the learning curve wall about a year in and thought i'd never get any better, then I did. patience and a good attitude will take you far. Although, dont expect miracles. The learning curve is still REALY steep even if you start landing kills on a regular basis theres always someone out there to shatter your bubble.

<S>jd
Current: Slipstrm

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2011, 02:15:57 PM »
Hmmm one thing I noticed was missing from all the suggestions and advice. Pick one plane and stick with it for several weeks at least until you REALLY learn the strengths and weaknesses of that particular airframe. I remember way back when, when I first started playing I was trying every plane in the set, one after the other, and getting my butt handed to me all the time. When I finally calmed down and picked a ride and stuck with it, I found my K/D ratio steadily climbing and my overall performance improving. Most of the top sticks from when I was playing on a regular basis had a small handfull of aircraft they excelled in and they flew those aircraft all the time. Get them out of their comfort zone and most of them turned into average to slightly above average sticks. Put them into their ride of choice and they were deadly.

Nope I got cha   :aok on page one
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE