Author Topic: 5 Axis Robot Carves Metal Like Butter (Video)  (Read 280 times)

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
5 Axis Robot Carves Metal Like Butter (Video)
« on: April 20, 2011, 05:06:49 AM »
"Industrial robots are getting precise enough that they’re less like dumb machines and more like automated sculptors producing artwork. Case in point: Daishin’s Seki 5-axis mill. The Japanese company celebrated its 50th anniversary last year by using this machine to carve out a full scale motorcycle helmet out of one piece of aluminum. No breaks, no joints, the 5-Axis mill simply pivots and rotates to carve metal at some absurd angles. Every cut is guided by sophisticated 3D design software (Openmind’s HyperMill)....."

"......Information technology has crept into everything, and where it goes, innovation follows. So it is with the Daishin Seki machine’s 5 axes which are guided by the Hypermill software. These industrial robots can carve exquisite pieces out of materials 3D printers can’t touch.  Eventually production may belong to 3D printers, but for now the industrial robots sculptors are showing us that they’ve still got years of unparalleled work ahead of them. As for humans…well, we’ve moved from the machine room floor to the designer’s chair. That’s okay; the coffee’s better in the chair, anyway."

http://singularityhub.com/2010/04/05/5-axis-robot-carves-metal-like-butter-video/

Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
Re: 5 Axis Robot Carves Metal Like Butter (Video)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 07:18:45 PM »
Blimey, thats amazing stuff!
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Blackwulf

• Copper Member
Re: 5 Axis Robot Carves Metal Like Butter (Video)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 07:52:10 PM »
They've actually had this capability for a long time now, just that the machines have been way to pricey to be purchased by the average machine shop.  They demo this stuff using soft aluminum with a diamond bit so they can go super fast with a bright finish, they don't go near as fast cutting steel for the most part.  I have also seen a lot of these machines demo'd over the years, then never be produced.

They can also now cast parts +- .005 with a 120 finish and minimal cleanup needed.  That will make machining practically obsolete for a lot of things when it comes online enough to be practical.

In time, machinists will only be needed for extreme close tolerance stuff.  It's already gotten to the point that companies are no longer hiring machinists for general production, but "machine operators" at minimal wages with a qualified machinist acting as a supervisor/troubleshooter.

I find it interesting that CNC is coming to the home shop more and more lately though, with CNC wood routers, and benchtop CNC mills on the market right now.  Still a bit pricey at $1500 - $2500, but not near as expensive as they used to be.  Back when I was machining, a CNC mill was 220v 3-phase only, the size of a small car, and started at $50k.  One company I worked for had a self loader with self offsetting capability, that cost $500k.  I liked that one, I could set it up with long cycle time jobs on each loader pallet, then walk away to go work on short cycle jobs.  I just had to stop by and double check the measurements a couple times a night.  It still required a machinist to set it up, so we didn't have to worry about some kid just out of High School coming in and replacing us for 1/2 pay.