Author Topic: GV related issue  (Read 362 times)

Offline TheflyingElk

• Copper Member
GV related issue
« on: June 01, 2011, 10:23:15 AM »
After I position my tank in any position while I engage targets the tank will suddenly move forward, unless I shut the engine down......but then I can't shoot and scoot  which is problematic, I know its control related but I still think we need a neutral position for the transmission just my thoughts  :salute
You dragged the dead horse into the yard and handed out the bats, sir.

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
Re: GV related issue
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 12:23:17 PM »
Weren't those manual transmissions nice.  <heavy sigh>
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 12:42:36 PM »
Do you have a twisty stick?  Are you driving a tank that can now rotate in place with just the rudder?  That will force the tank to creep forward...
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 02:03:54 PM »
I have the twisty stick mapped to rudder for tank steering.  It's hard to move the stick for aiming without causing a bit of twist as well and that leads to the tank moving off.  The only solution is to either not use the twisty stick mapping (i.e. stick with AWSD), use actual rudder pedals and steer with your feet, or turn the engine off (which, as the OP points out, turns "shoot and scoot" to "shoot, dawdle and be blown up"). 

Actually there could have been one more solution.  You can now map an analog axis to a key press in the latest version and I have mapped the right toe brake to W (mid) and shift W (max) and the left toe brake to S (mid) and shift S (max).  Then if you hold down your left foot max, for shift S or STOP, you'd think it would keep the tank stationary even with the engine on and turn requested via the twisty stick.  Unfortunately, the turn input overrides the STOP input and the tank still moves.  This is true even if you hold down the SHIFT S key.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 04:00:38 PM »
I have the twisty stick mapped to rudder for tank steering.  It's hard to move the stick for aiming without causing a bit of twist as well and that leads to the tank moving off.  The only solution is to either not use the twisty stick mapping (i.e. stick with AWSD), use actual rudder pedals and steer with your feet, or turn the engine off (which, as the OP points out, turns "shoot and scoot" to "shoot, dawdle and be blown up"). 

Actually there could have been one more solution.  You can now map an analog axis to a key press in the latest version and I have mapped the right toe brake to W (mid) and shift W (max) and the left toe brake to S (mid) and shift S (max).  Then if you hold down your left foot max, for shift S or STOP, you'd think it would keep the tank stationary even with the engine on and turn requested via the twisty stick.  Unfortunately, the turn input overrides the STOP input and the tank still moves.  This is true even if you hold down the SHIFT S key.

You can also greatly increase the deadband for the rudder axis in MODE 2

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 05:16:52 PM »
You can also greatly increase the deadband for the rudder axis in MODE 2

Unfortunately if the controller is the same as used for Rudder in Mode 1, the deadband will be applied to Mode 1 exactly the same. Unlike button assignments that can be different.

Being able to have different deadbands for the same controller in the different Modes would be very useful. Alas it is not so so far as Modes 1 & 2 are concerned.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 10:26:56 PM »
Unfortunately if the controller is the same as used for Rudder in Mode 1, the deadband will be applied to Mode 1 exactly the same. Unlike button assignments that can be different.

Being able to have different deadbands for the same controller in the different Modes would be very useful. Alas it is not so so far as Modes 1 & 2 are concerned.

Are you positive about that?  I have scaling enabled for mode 2 but not mode 1.  I just assumed that deadband settings would work the same way but perhaps not...  I'll have to check into that.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 03:17:44 AM »
Are you positive about that?  I have scaling enabled for mode 2 but not mode 1.  I just assumed that deadband settings would work the same way but perhaps not...  I'll have to check into that.

Yes quite positive.

One solution for problematic sticks would be to make use of the new axis assignments to keys. So a twisty stick that gives GV problems on the analog axis should be reassigned to keys A and D in Mode 2. That would be like having a mega deadband as turning would only be on full twist.