Author Topic: Deflection shots FTW?  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Vapor

• Zinc Member
Re: Deflection shots FTW?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 07:17:32 AM »
Is the armor plate behind the pilot modeled in the game for the planes which had them? That might account for pilot protection from the 6 shot.

Lt. Vapor
VF-17 Jolly Rogers
AH Tour 115 start

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 07:33:46 AM »
That is a great theory and I would be very interested in if this is correct or not. Anyone know?

Quincy

You could walk/drive to the office and ask them :)
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 08:27:20 AM »
The ballistics model is affected by the speed of the firer, so I would guess the damage model is affected by the relative speed of the projectile to the target.

The best way I can think of to test this reliably is fly formation with an enemy bomber from the front, behind, left and right, and above and below and record the number of rounds it takes to do critical damage to individual spots on the A/C.

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline Spork

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 07:14:27 PM »
You could walk/drive to the office and ask them :)

Used to be able to, now they are out of Ft. Worth. Moved about... a month ago?

Still could drive I guess    :)
Spork
80th FS "Headhunters"

"The all purpose utensil in the all purpose plane" - Karma

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron, My Little Pony
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 06:35:36 PM »
I think that one reason deflection might do more damage when you can hit is that there is less density of structure between you and the important bits you want to hit hard. For instance to hit the pilot from 6 position there are more structures in between the shooter and target. I don't know how HTC models these but there are definitely more from that angle.

On the other hand, doing a 90 degree deflection against the a/c planform, all bullets can directly hit the vulnerable bits without having to travel through other structures.

Just a thought. . .
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
Longest continuously operating MMO squadron
Serving your target needs since 1990
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 04:00:33 AM »
In dead 6 shots, due to the scatter, a lot of the bullets are very near misses. Not all hits produce a hit sprite so it is hard to see since the max number of sprites is already showing. When you hit a larger surface all bullets will hit even with some scatter.

However, the most important aspect is how planes die in AH: you need to break a wing/tail, set fire to the engine or kill the pilot. When you shoot from dead 6 the parts that are most likely to take the damage are control surfaces: flaps, elevators, ailerons, rudder. They will soak up the damage and even if destroyed, the plane is still flying. You are much less likely to hit any of the critical components mentioned above. In top plane shots everything critical is exposed. If you fly the twin engine fighters, one of the more useful things you will learn is how much more survivable the plane is if you roll the plane to take the hits on the side instead of the very large top.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 09:07:19 AM »
If you fly the twin engine fighters, one of the more useful things you will learn is how much more survivable the plane is if you roll the plane to take the hits on the side instead of the very large top.

That is good advice no matter what you happen to be flying at the moment.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 02:41:58 AM »
If you fly the twin engine fighters, one of the more useful things you will learn is how much more survivable the plane is if you roll the plane to take the hits on the side instead of the very large top.

Like Del pointed out, that is good advice no matter what plane you happen to be in.  However, in the P-38, it's very important to present as low as a profile as possible and that's why it's important to present the side profile as much as possible when being shot at.  Many think that because the P-38 is rather large for a fighter that its side profile must be as large but in reality the Lightning had the slimmest profile of any US fighter of the time.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 10:14:41 AM »
Like Del pointed out, that is good advice no matter what plane you happen to be in.  However, in the P-38, it's very important to present as low as a profile as possible and that's why it's important to present the side profile as much as possible when being shot at.  Many think that because the P-38 is rather large for a fighter that its side profile must be as large but in reality the Lightning had the slimmest profile of any US fighter of the time.

ack-ack

Definitely.  I generally find the P38 is pretty much the toughest plane in the game to hit from dead six as well.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 11:02:16 PM »
Would the stress on the airframe during scissors add to the ease of getting the wing to come off from a crossing shot versus a dead-six shot on a barely manuvering plane?
No, that's not modeled.  Structural parts can carry the same load up until the point they take enough damage to break.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 11:12:59 PM »
Another fact is that from dead 6 the energy is reduced due to the target flying away from the direction of the round. In head on shots the energy is increased. So in deflections the round is often more damaging than dead 6 shots. Again, I could be wrong but that is how I understood the game to be modelled.
You understand correctly more or less, but I don't believe the difference between a 6 shot and a 90 degree shot would be a huge difference in energy delivered to the target.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2011, 11:23:55 PM »

1) Does this have something to do with how damage is modeled in the game, i.e. hits on a wider area of wing surface are actually more effective than hits in a single rear area?
2) Is the cockpit more vulnerable in a straight 6 shot than I think, and I should be aiming there rather than wing roots?
3) Is pilot head postion actually factored into the damage model?  (In other words, does looking back make you more likely to be brainboxed rather than hunkering down behind your pilot armor?)
4) What other factors might be at play here?

Thanks for any feedback.

:salute
1) I think some of this is a general lack of depth perception when you're firing on the rear profile of a plane.  In my experience when reviewing films, what looks like concentrated hits from a 6 shot, are actually quite dispersed along the surfaces of the plane.
2) I've also reviewed films of pilot wounds and found that what you think was a dead 6 shot was in reality a high 6 shot and there was a valid unobstructed shot on the cockpit.
3) no

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2011, 01:06:59 AM »
Murdr is back from the abyss!  :D
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME