Author Topic: Invisible rivers  (Read 500 times)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
Invisible rivers
« on: June 23, 2011, 11:07:22 AM »
Yes, they exist but are "painted as land".

I ran a tank into one after a 2 sector drive last night but somehow was able to back out after firing my gun to rock the tank while I was in reverse.

Yes...I was 1/2 sector from the lake or any marked water.

Ths happened near the bishop HQ last night before the reset where there is a lake beside it with a river heading toward the rear of the map.

Apparently this river also exists headed toward the front but it is  not shown on the clipboard as being a river.

So.....we have rivers that aren't mapped that you cannot ford with a tank yet these same rivers are not navigable by PT boats......which run aground in them.

If a river is deep enough to float a tank or LVT, then it should float a pt boat as well.........it should also show up on the map.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 12:09:00 PM by icepac »

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: Invisible rivers
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 12:15:14 PM »
Not a bug.  It's the map design.  I'm guessing you don't have "detailed water" enabled in your advanced graphics prefs.  Without that, you see the underlying terrain texture, if the map maker used anything other than "deep ocean" under the river.  Also, if the river is not at 0 altitude, boats cannot navigate them.  And the clipboard map is drawn by the map maker, so any details in it are his doing.

Here's a sample I made to show the differences some of the settings make: (clickable thumbnail)
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 02:34:40 PM »
I understand his point though. I do have detailed water enabled and I can see it, but not always shown on the map.
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 11:14:59 AM »
It's not fun driving a tank two sectors to find you are blocked from you destination by something not on the map.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 03:33:25 PM »
It's not fun driving a tank two sectors to find you are blocked from you destination by something not on the map.

I'll keep that in mind while working on my current MA map.  :salute
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 10:06:15 AM »
Dang....that's a pretty big undertaking.

It's good to see you use the forums to incorporate what will eventually be found in your map and hope to fly it one day in the main arena.

That said....."jeep tunnels".