Author Topic: optics + armor + camo make the M4A3(76)W tank of choice for most gv dweebs  (Read 587 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
Even with it costing a perk or two more than it did before the patch the M4A3(76)W is still in heavy use for good reason. It has near the same k/d ratio as the higher perk point sherman firefly...  1.7 vs 1.8. It is less painful to lose to the inevitable bomb or tank round that ends every offensive and most defensive tank sorties.

I am not sure if the M4A3(76)W we have is modelled as an upgraded armor jumbo E8 sherman but it is very survivable. All of the really troublesome gv dweebs that motivate people to bring bombs are using the M4A3(76)W with what their enemies have dubbed titanium armor and deflector shields. This may have a corelation to the tendancy of the armor penetration modelling to anecdotally favor rounded surfaces when calculating deflected rounds. The rounded sherman turret seems to be indestructable sometimes to even heavy 88 mm with an uncanny number of deflected rounds.

Most of the time it takes 2 or more direct hits to knock one out even when using the mid range perk tanks.  and the number of ricochet's that happen when fighting against a sherman increase its viability even further. If judging by number of kills it is the most popular tank in game at the moment.

The combination of decent firepower, ability to sustain and or ricochet multiple hits, high zoom 5x? optics and default green camo make the M4A3(76)W the preffered choice of most experienced gv dweebs. It is also the most used and most succesful low price perk tank as well.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
We are still very early in tour 138 and the ultra-cheap Tiger II for the first few days created an abnormal situation as well, so I would wait at least one, better two weeks to let the numbers settle down.
That being said, there is no doubt that the M4(76) is still the best choice in terms of combat efficiency and will continue to dominate the AH battlefield, especially in offensive operations where few players are willing to throw 15-100 perks away for a "true" perked tank.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
Overall K/D for M4A3(76)W: 5715/3249  1.76/1

M4A3(76)W (in order of most used) vs:

Panzer IV H:  2329/617   3.77/1
T-34/85:        733/617   1.19/1
Panther G:       64/274    0.23/1
Tiger 2:           18/97     0.19/1
M4A3(75):      468/56     8.36/1
Tiger 1:           27/97     0.28/1
Sherman VC:    37/77     0.48/1
T-34/76:        170/27     6.30/1

Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
M4A3(76)W (in order of most used) vs:

This is the K/D matrix for a full tour, before the T2 was introduced

With only 2 or three days since things have gone back to "normal" in the new tour, it's too early to use current numbers, simply just not enough data for the rare tanks yet.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
Stats war! :)
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Stats war! :)

Sorry, there is no war because there is no major disagreement ;)

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
Sorry, there is no war because there is no major disagreement ;)

Can we call it a Humanitarian Police Action?

For my money, I prefer the Panzer over a Sherman.  Especially with the vehicle patch, aiming is a breeze in the thing.  If I go perks, I go for the Tiger I, again due to it's great targeting & it's variable zoom optics.  I've also found the Tiger I seems to be much more survivable than the King Tiger which I find to be rather soft.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member

Can we call it a Humanitarian Police Action?

For my money, I prefer the Panzer over a Sherman.  Especially with the vehicle patch, aiming is a breeze in the thing.  If I go perks, I go for the Tiger I, again due to it's great targeting & it's variable zoom optics.  I've also found the Tiger I seems to be much more survivable than the King Tiger which I find to be rather soft.

Other way around, King Tiger is a beast and the Tiger is tamed.
JG 52

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
If we look at the capability of the M4A3/76mm, it is under-perked and has too high of an ENY.

Speed, reload rate, AP ability, optics, armor.  What else can match it? 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Perhaps a perk price of 5-10 and an ENY of 5 would be more appropriate.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-