Author Topic: Panther vs M4/Panzer, etc.  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Scotty55OEFVet

• Nickel Member
Panther vs M4/Panzer, etc.
« on: August 08, 2011, 12:00:51 AM »
Earlier tonight, I was fighting in a Panther at one of the V bases on the Bish front. At least 4 different times I hit an M4 or Panzer dead center hull or turret and the round riccochet'd off into nothingness lol. Now, normally would not even bring this up but my film viewer does not work on my comp so I couldnt check this, but on 2 of the 4 occasions I was fired at and killed 1 shot, once by a Panzer and once by an M4....at ranges of over 1200 yds. Thoughts on how ridiculous this is?
"War can only be abolished through war...in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun."

RedDevil

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
Re: Panther vs M4/Panzer, etc.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 12:02:52 AM »
Earlier tonight, I was fighting in a Panther at one of the V bases on the Bish front. At least 4 different times I hit an M4 or Panzer dead center hull or turret and the round riccochet'd off into nothingness lol. Now, normally would not even bring this up but my film viewer does not work on my comp so I couldnt check this, but on 2 of the 4 occasions I was fired at and killed 1 shot, once by a Panzer and once by an M4....at ranges of over 1200 yds. Thoughts on how ridiculous this is?

as for the M4 idk, but keep in mind how old the panzer model is

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 08:40:04 AM »
The M4/76mm and the Panzer IV should have a challenge busting through the Panther at 1200 yards, but the Panther should be able to cut right through the M4x and Pzr IV at the same range.

Both the Panzer IV and M4/76mm can penetrate 81-83mm armor @ 30 degrees at 1000 yards, according to various sources.  The Panther could penetrate about 112mm at the same distance vs same 30 degree sloped armor.  Other than angle of impact I'm not sure what else to say other than they were right on the edge of being able to beat your front armor.

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 11:04:47 AM »

Here's the problem, without film there's nothing to be said here, we can't explain what we can't see. However anything below 3k you should easily be able to kill a Panzer/M4 without any trouble from the front, assuming you are hitting the tank square and not on an angle.

What I can say is make sure you are hitting the tanks armor Dead on at 0 degrees, if the tanks turned slightly the armor increases and less likely a chance for a penetration.

I can't say anything because at 1200 yards it doesn't matter what angle an M4/Panzer would be that a kill shot would not happen. Then again without Film this is pointless :)
JG 52

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 05:16:56 PM »
Apparently ricochets were running rampant for everyone last night.

Solar flares.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 01:09:23 AM »
Apparently ricochets were running rampant for everyone last night.

Solar flares.
wrongway

hooter is having a very horrible time with Ricochets lately, counted over 300 while I have usually only had one or two per day in 30+ tank engagements.
JG 52

Offline Killer91

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 01:12:06 AM »
I don't know about the M4 but the panzer has as certain area on the front of it that you can shoot all day long with ANY tank (Don't know about the Tiger2, I haven't drove it much so IDK) and riquechet every shot from any distance off of it. Its just below the turret where the armor is kind of curved. I can't think of a single time I've ever been able to penetrate the armour in that area. As for the M4 there seems to be a bug with it. Like the OP I don't have film but my Panther was killed by an M4 76 at about 2300yds in one shot after I bounced 4 rounds off the front of his tank.
someone named pervert is thanking someone named badboy for a enjoyable night?

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 01:27:29 AM »
I don't know about the M4 but the panzer has as certain area on the front of it that you can shoot all day long with ANY tank (Don't know about the Tiger2, I haven't drove it much so IDK) and riquechet every shot from any distance off of it. Its just below the turret where the armor is kind of curved. I can't think of a single time I've ever been able to penetrate the armour in that area. As for the M4 there seems to be a bug with it. Like the OP I don't have film but my Panther was killed by an M4 76 at about 2300yds in one shot after I bounced 4 rounds off the front of his tank.

You have to aim for the Turret or Lower Front hull or the Hull itself, that curved area is most commonly shot at and will deflect rounds.
JG 52

Offline steveb999

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 11:11:24 AM »
Pretty much everyone I have been hanging with the last few days has been complaining about ricochets or hitting tanks 3-6 times with no kill. I generally run a t34/85 or better and haven't really noticed issues but yesterday I ran a Panzer several times and I too found that several direct hits were doing nothing to M4's and T34's at less than 2k range. Something "seems" to be up. *shrug*

Offline Scotty55OEFVet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 12:06:07 PM »
Pretty much everyone I have been hanging with the last few days has been complaining about ricochets or hitting tanks 3-6 times with no kill. I generally run a t34/85 or better and haven't really noticed issues but yesterday I ran a Panzer several times and I too found that several direct hits were doing nothing to M4's and T34's at less than 2k range. Something "seems" to be up. *shrug*

agreed :bhead
"War can only be abolished through war...in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun."

RedDevil

Offline shermanjr

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 01:29:02 PM »
yes has noticed that too with my panther vs m4 76s within 600 yards i have film but have no idea how to post it tho
475th fg dgs
404th fighter group Winter SKy Deth ground
361 st fg
1st pursuit squadron avg
+flyingfury+ main arena
in game name pattonjr

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 05:31:28 PM »
Im gonna throw this out there since they may be related but it also seems some planes have become "invincble" such as the LA7 where me and 2 other squadies who put alot of 20mm into the la with no kill (we were flying mossies)

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 09:27:22 AM »
If you have a good example of this happening, send us the film and we can see exactly what's going on.  Most of the time it's just the strike angle being greater than what the shooter thought it was but we've found plenty of issues in various vehicles by reviewing films.  I don't know of anything that would have changed in the latest version to affect this aside from what has already been listed in the readme.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 12:23:45 PM »
If you have a good example of this happening, send us the film and we can see exactly what's going on.  Most of the time it's just the strike angle being greater than what the shooter thought it was but we've found plenty of issues in various vehicles by reviewing films.  I don't know of anything that would have changed in the latest version to affect this aside from what has already been listed in the readme.

What kind of issues are you finding if you can say so? I would like Hooter to send you a few of his films, he's logging hundreds of ricochets and I am starting to experience them as well - my issues have come from shooting a tank in the rear, for example and Engine shot or Turret, and the rounds will bounce 8 of 10 times, Knowing the armor of an M4(76) rear, vs a T34/85 at 600 yards - I logged over 20 ricochets.

Even shooting a Panzer from the side at 600 yards, I thought I might of aimed towards the front of the turret, but on the film it shows dead center on the side, only to watch a HVAP bounce off.

I might of had an issue however due to a virus which was attacking my frame rates. I got fed up of my FPS dropping from 90 to 27 everytime I moved, I ran a virus scan and it seems things are back to normal game wise.
JG 52

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 01:29:13 AM »
Well, my experience is just the opposite. I can't kill a panther no matter what. I think I've killed 1 since they came out...on the ground. Tarded quite a few  :P
for about 2-3 weeks, nearly ever thing I shot, glanced off...no idea why? I usually do kill shots, on the run with consistence from my 85. Finally tonight I landed 15 GV kills at rooks A1 on a bunch of wirbles and a t-34/75(Side) with a Panzer(front turret shot).  :banana: Maybe it's back? Hope so. :headscratch:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,