Author Topic: Grammar class is in session!!  (Read 890 times)

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
Re: Grammar class is in session!!
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 02:47:23 PM »
     I like the use of multiple exclamation points.  The more I see, the less attention I tend to pay  :D
Perfect example would be the landgrab fuhrers.  "Someone needs to grab a goon for A83!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Even better is the classic, "I NEED 150 MORE GUYS FOR MY MIZHUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 07:17:37 PM »
You're thread is being make my head hurt  :)
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 07:18:28 PM »
Hooray!  :banana:

I've been waiting forever to use this:

:aok

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 07:18:41 PM »
    I like the use of multiple exclamation points.  The more I see, the less attention I tend to pay  :D
Perfect example would be the landgrab fuhrers.  "Someone needs to grab a goon for A83!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Even better is the classic, "I NEED 150 MORE GUYS FOR MY MIZHUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Dont forget the random "1" and "ONE" to make it of more importance!!11!ONE!!ELEVENTYON!!
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 07:44:55 PM »
I kin type the weigh I wants two, and gramma i kin dew reals guud.
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Hawk78th

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 08:11:39 PM »
Fore

Four

and  For

Do we need to Explain these also....?
JHawk  (in Game)

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 08:16:26 PM »
I dun dont understood?

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 08:30:47 PM »
Inspired by the "math class" thread I'd like to express my feelings about several grammatical errors that occur around here, the most common of which revolve around the improper use of the apostrophe!

Let us first learn the two most common uses of an apostrophe in the English language:

1> The apostrophe is used before the letter "S" at the end of a word to indicate ownership.  If that word already ends in an "S" then the apostrophe is usually moved to the end of the word.

PROPER EXAMPLES: 
Skuzzy's computer will never have Flash or Java installed.
The Axis' forces did not know how to make a good sandwich!
Those cars' tires have all been slashed!

I see a lot of people who are sticking an apostrophe in a word just because it ends in the letter "S".  This is usually incorrect and more often than not the apostrophe is not required.

IMPROPER EXAMPLES (Remove the apostrophe in these examples to make them correct):
There are two car's in the parking lot.
Two computer's were used to test the most recent Aces High update.

JUST BECAUSE A WORD ENDS IN THE LETTER "S" DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO PUT AN APOSTROPHE BEFORE IT!  IF IN DOUBT DON'T USE ONE!

There are some exceptions which will be discussed below.

2> The apostrophe is used to join two words together.  This is usually used to represent how the English language is actually spoken.

EXAMPLES:
The words "we" and "are" can be combined to make the following sentence:  We're going to have a memorial flight next week to observe the anniversary of 9/11.
The words "he" and "is" can be combined as well:  He's not going to notice the plush sheep missing from his office.
The words "is" and "not" can also be combined to mean the same thing:  He isn't going to notice the plush sheep missing from his office.

Of course there are many other ways to combine two words together in this manner just keep in mind that when in doubt forget about the apostrophe and just type out both words.  "Who are the people that run Hi-Tech Creations?" looks a lot better than "Who're the people that run Hi-Tech Creations?" (Especially if you forget to type the apostrophe!)

Also when the two rules conflict with each other rule #2 usually takes precedence.  Take the words "its" and "it's" for example.  "It's" is a short version for "It is" therefore "its" would be an example of an exception for rule #1 above.

PROPER EXAMPLES:
It's a wonderful world.
(Talking about Skuzzy's computer) Its computing power is superior because it doesn't have to run Flash or Java.

Since this relates we'll also talk about the following words below that are commonly misused:

"Your" means something the belongs to you:  Your computer is faster than mine.
"You're" is short for "You are":  You're going to regret stalling out in that maneuver.

"There" is a place:  There is Dale's sheep.
"They're" is short for "They are":  They're very cute and fluffy!
"Their" indicates ownership:  The programmers at HiTech really like to make jokes about their sheep!

There are of course many other grammatical errors that occur but what I've explained here is by far the most common.  For more information feel free to refer to the following website. http://www.youryoure.com/

doesnt matter.
dont care.
therefore, your grammar lesson has taught me nothing you durn grammer natzee! :neener:

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 09:09:56 PM »
If you teach everybody correct writing skills you will remove my ability to silently mock them for ignorance and or stupidity. 

Are you going to write up the correct use of commas next?  :neener:

+1

SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 09:55:19 PM »
I make understand better

I have several grammatical errors that occur around here, want to express my feelings about the most commonly used among them revolve around the inappropriate use of the apostrophe in "math," inspired by a thread!

First, let's learn how to use the two most common of the apostrophe in English:

1> apostrophe to indicate ownership, to the end of a word letter "S" used before. Already the word is "S" if it ends with an apostrophe are typically moved to the end of a word.

Cases PROPER:
Skuzzy computer is that you have installed Java, Flash or never.
The Axis forces did not know how to make a good sandwich!
Their car tires are all significantly reduced!

It is the letter "S" just because I end with, please refer to the number of people have been sticking an apostrophe in the word. This is usually inaccurate, and do not require an apostrophe is more often than not.

Inappropriate cases
(remove the apostrophe in these cases to correct it):
There is a parking lot there are two cars.
The two computers were used to test the latest updates Aces.

The character WORD "S" because it ends in JUST in place that should be there is no apostrophe! If in doubt, if you do not use any!

There are a few exceptions discussed below.

2> apostrophes are used to join two words. This is typically used to indicate whether the English language is actually spoken. There are a few exceptions discussed below.

For example:
the word "we" and "" can be combined to make the following statement: We've got to fly next week to observe the anniversary anniversary of 9 / 11.
Word "he" and can be combined as well, "the": He'll never notice the gorgeous sheep missing from his office. Word "is" can be combined to mean the same thing again and "no": he is not going to notice the gorgeous sheep are not missing from his office.

Of course, to combine the two words in this way to keep in mind that you enter both words only when they simply forget the apostrophe in question, there are many other ways. "People running the high-tech Creations Who is?" Looks much better than "So the people who run the high-tech Creations?" (If you forget to type an apostrophe in particular!)

In addition, the rules conflict with each other during the rule # 2 is usually takes precedence. For example, "it's" words "that" Please with. "That's" "it is" therefore "and" on the rule # is a short version to become an example of one exception.

Cases PROPER:
It's a wonderful world.
It is not necessary to run Java and Flash (Speaking of computers Skuzzy), it is excellent computing power.

This we also, since the relationship will describe the following words or less, has been misused in general :

"You" refers to something that belongs to you: Your computer is my faster than those.
You're going to regret their tactics to stall out: "You're" "you are" stands for.

"Present" location: There are sheep Dale.
"They are" "they" stand for: they are very cute, fluffy it!
"They said," shows ownership: Hitec programmer's like to make jokes about his sheep so much!

However caused , that I have described here is the most common thing ever, grammatical errors are of course many others. For more information, feel free to visit the Web site below. http://www.youryoure.com/

:D

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 11:20:36 PM »
Whats gramma??? aint she the old woman married to grandpa?
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2011, 03:18:10 AM »
Much fail, this topic is filled with.  :old: