Author Topic: Kills per death plus one.  (Read 952 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Kills per death plus one.
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 10:56:16 AM »
But that is still wrong. If I kill 500 people without dying, my kills per life is 500/1 = 500. Then if I get killed it becomes 500/2 = 250. But I never got kills with the second life, so why is it relevant or more acurate?

If it is Kills per life, a life is defined as the interval between deaths. It starts as a default of 1, but doesn;t become two until you die the second time.

That's what Tilt's math would do.

I agree  :aok

yup if you havent died then your kills per life is 500.  if you died once, it means you are on your second life so it's 250.  if kd was to change only until after you died twice, then whoever hasnt died would have a lower score than whoever has at least one death.  since the person who hasnt died would have no kd ratio.  k/0=no solution.

what gets you confused is they using the term kill to death.  if you havent died then you have no deaths so your score would be 500 kills and no deaths but then you would have no kills to death ratio as you cannot actually divide by zero (500/0).  that's why they add the +1. as somebody else mentioned it before, the proper way to abbreviate it would be "kd+1" as "kd" is misleading.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 12:59:04 PM »
the proper way to abbreviate it would be "kd+1" as "kd" is misleading.

semp

or K:L ratio
Ludere Vincere

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 01:19:58 PM »
no it isnt. 500K, no Deaths = 500K/1L = 500K/L. then you get killed and you get another life so now its 500K/2L = 250K/L.

no it isnt, thats a lifetime. eg. you havent died yet, but you've still had a life ...

Life span is what matters. A life is an undefined time period, and as such can't be used in the denominator of a fractional ratio because it is continuously variable, ruining the point of the ratio which is to define the number of things you do per a a unit of something else.

Before your first death, you have not completed a full unit, and how far along the unit you are is indeterminable. It is defined at death. The death is what makes the units consistant. Without the death there is no fractional ratio.

So it should be life spans. And again Tilt is correct.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 06:38:59 PM »
Life span is what matters. A life is an undefined time period, and as such can't be used in the denominator of a fractional ratio because it is continuously variable, ruining the point of the ratio which is to define the number of things you do per a a unit of something else.

Before your first death, you have not completed a full unit, and how far along the unit you are is indeterminable. It is defined at death. The death is what makes the units consistant. Without the death there is no fractional ratio.

So it should be life spans. And again Tilt is correct.  :salute

No matter how long, a life is still 1. Otherwise you haven't actually lived until you are dead.

:angel:

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay