Author Topic: Training arena = Training  (Read 587 times)

Offline Jase

• Zinc Member
Training arena = Training
« on: February 19, 2000, 01:18:00 AM »
This should not have to be posted, but thx to some incredibly annoying child by the name of TernToo, I feel it must.  If two people are in the training arena and they request to be left alone so they may train together, please respect their wishes and do not intentionally attack them.  This happened several times tonight, and what started out as "bad form" was bordering on harrassment by the end of the night.  Most in this community will respect this request, but for the few "kids" who live to be annoying to others, go do it somewhere else other then the training arena.  

------------------
+Jase ^Nomads^ AH
Fly-Nomadic

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2000, 04:51:00 AM »
Jase, I totally agree with you. A couple of nights ago a bud and me were comitting some duels out in the training arena when TerneToo showed up and kept interfering. He was strafing us down on the runway - well, I just would have left this particular field and go on for another; but he drew the attention/hunting-fever of my sparring partner...  

I was not upset at all; I even enjoy being jumped ONCE - this adds another training aspect   - but as it looked like TerneToo was only there to do mischief.. blanting about QuakeWarrior3 etc. ...   so, if ya want some furballing go to the main arena or make something up with people that share your need for frags. The training arena should kept "clean"; so people can do what they cannot do in the main arena - I remember how hard it was to set up a duel in the main arena... you were always just too busy shooting down the interfering buggers...  

Kirin out
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2000, 07:49:00 AM »
Note, I have not had any problems running training sessions, and the pilots I have flown with in the training arena have been complete gentelmen.

That said, if there is a trainer online, have him ask the individual to stop interfering with training, but failing that ask him yourself.  Please ask nicely and be polite.  It also helps if you offer to let him participate in some training if you can.  Most folks will participate rather than disrupt.    If an individual continues to be disruptive, grab a film of the goings on, and forward it to myself or Pyro privately.  I'm sure these things can be dealt with.

You can always go hunt him and vulch him into the ground.    Vulch training! <G>

------------------
Lephturn
The Flying Pigs
Visit Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH news, resources, and training data.
 http://users.andara.com/~sconrad/

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2000, 09:28:00 AM »
Sad to say that in the days I have been in the TA (and that's been all but one since it opened) I have seen individuals doing this. Most of the people are well-behaved, and are looking for help. Couple of guys went there for private duels (not a bad idea IMHO), but there were some "disruptors". Lephturn has the procedure right, I think. Ask them politely to stop, invite them (if it won't disrupt your training) to join you in structured practice, inform the trainer on hand of the action, or take a snap and forward it to HTC. Let's not abuse the TA!  

TT

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2000, 12:15:00 PM »
  I never thought id ever say this. But maby the per hour charge is nessesary to keep the children out. From what I have read on this board, and on the open channel, the last couple of weeks. This is getting out of hand.

I perpose we police ourselves. If someone does something really obnoxious. if your on the same side. Report his position, and type of plane, on the open channel. If your on the other side, pass everything else up until you shoot him down.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2000, 01:26:00 PM »
TT, you just suggested Pay per hour? Wait a minute..., yup, I just reread it, Pay per HOUR?!!!

Maybe you can have another arena for you hardcore adults who pay $5 an hour. I see no problem with that. Might get boring flying around alone, but no one will bother you. Actually, all the crazyness that goes on in the main arena can get annoying, but generally is really great entertainment. It's part of the whole deal.

So, back to the original post. If someones training, leave em alone for Christ's sake. That's pretty simple.

[This message has been edited by Creamo (edited 02-19-2000).]

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2000, 01:35:00 PM »
TT, these types of social misfits are  everywhere and strech across the full bredth of the universe.  Our beloved Warbirds has a list of misfits even Charlie Manson would admire.  $2 an hour will not weed out the misfits.

Yeager

[This message has been edited by Yeager (edited 02-19-2000).]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2000, 02:50:00 PM »
 As long as ALL arenas are open to people with new accounts there will be people who fly for free and will do whatever they want - if their intent is to be disruptive with thier 2 weeks free trial.
 I don't know what the solution is. If you only enable the main arena for the two week trial period then maybe that would work.
 Two weeks is enough to know if you'd like to subscribe for most people.
 Then when the account goes pay they get access to any training, special events or historical arenas?
 If someone would email HTC, give them a chance to send him a warning and if they recieved more complaints for future misbehavior, I'd bet the account of "TernToo" would be nixxed VERY fast

-Westy

Offline Thorns

• Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/computerpilot/
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2000, 05:18:00 PM »
I had a newbie to Aces High trying to learn with another newbie_Mskt in the Training room and some idiot was shooting them down.....of course they are going to learn very quickly now....and go HUNTING!
They are not new to flightsims, just trying to learn what Aces High has unique....and they thought they were doing it in the right arena.

Thorns_Musketeer
CO Musketeer Escadrille

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2000, 05:41:00 PM »
 I was in the T/A helping a player with his joystick and was shot down today,maybe trainers icons should be a different color for identification purposes,or possibly a message should appear when players enter to inform them of the guidelines/rules of the arena.And possibly the .eject command should be enabled for booting players who can`t/won`t follow said guidelines.

------------------

JG2 "Richthofen"

[This message has been edited by weazel (edited 02-19-2000).]

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2000, 05:47:00 PM »
I had a funny one a while ago... I was helping a guy get into the air. He had no rudders (a lot of guys don't!), so I was trying to talk him through the whole rudderless lift-off thing. Finally get him off the ground, we are soaring in the wide-blue... then he beelines for the first plane he sees!

"Don't shoot! Don't shoot!" I yell, knowing someone's training is going to get a new dimension. He bores right in, and I think "Great. Now I have to take this guy out...". I am closing in and notice the other half of the interrupted training session is closing on my 6. Oh well, if he gets me maybe they will feel better. He does.

I go to private and tell my killer I'm trying to control this guy. He laughs, and I tell him to waste him. He does.   The newbie laughs, and off they go to continue the fun.

At the end the new guy finally understands what happened. No real harm was done, but he had a few "defensive maneuvers" lessons from an impromptu trainer.

Goes to show sometimes the disruptive activity happens because some are so new they don't understand what they are doing.  

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2000, 09:13:00 AM »
My experience with RAM in Training arena was just the opposite, while taking off with numerous cons, I simply posted in open channel that we were training.  No one engaged, one fellow asked if we'd be interested in engaging, but we declined since we were concentrating on tactics rather than a furball...no problems *yet* in training arena at this end..maybe trainers should announce when they are in the TA and tell the occupants what their intent is...could help some.

Side note: Wouldn't hurt as a trainer to "drop in" to training arena and offer services on occasion, I know alot of you trainers already do this, it's the first priority I have when I log on...also, if you notice a newbie in Main asking alot of questions, drag him over to TA and work with him, this is a no-brainer, but thought I would mention it.

------------------
Brian "Ripsnort" Nelson
++JG2++ ~Richthofen~ XO
(Formerly VF-101 Grim Reapers~Rip1~Warbirds~)

"Opfer mussen gebracht werden"
— Otto Lilienthal

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 02-21-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 02-21-2000).]

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2000, 09:30:00 AM »
Excellent comment Rip.
I usually drop into the training room first and see if there are any names I dont reconize. I havent had the opertunity yet to assist anywone there. I am just helping like normal in the main arena. I am hoping that when training is fully set up the names of any trainers in the main areana will show in the roster or something. I havent played other online sims so dont know what the norm is for that kind of thing.  

------------------
Pongo
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2000, 09:57:00 AM »
I spend on the average 2 hrs a night in the training arena (TA). I have seen many of the trainers in there. I've also seen a hardcore following of duelers, too. Not been bad at all.

I would suggest that once a training session is fully developed that the trainer/trainee go on private channel or to a different field/country. Learning as I go...