Author Topic: E6B  (Read 963 times)

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Re: E6B
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 11:54:58 PM »
i call it a waste of cash because i dont NEED it. why spend money on one when i got everything i need mapped to the mouse?
when i said that i was saying that not every button is mapped as in all of the controls are mapped but theres still some open buttons. i fly with a mouse and only use the keyboard for flaps and gear. not sayin thats what im doing but if all i need is throttle, firing and controls on my mouse then thats it. its all i use and if i map the E6B to my keyboard, (me being the usual klutz as usual) im probably going to bump that button in the middle of a fight and have it cover up my screen and screw me over.

Do you ever open your clipboard to look at the map while flying?

If so, do the same thing to see the E6B.

:banana:

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 03:27:45 AM »
Actually, to answer the question about HTC taking ideas.  Yes, they most certainly do.  What we have no idea of is how much work or how feasible an idea or wish may be.

Once I posted an idea spawned from a discussion very much like this one and in a matter of days it was implemented.  HiTech's response to the idea was something along the line of it was only a line or two of code. 

Sometimes I think they don't like "Good Ideas" unless they're theirs. I've seen dozens of fairly good ideas on here and cannot remember one that got put in yet. I know they have, but none I've read or can remember. Bomb selector for internal/external on bombers/fighters with that ability ie: A20 comes to mind....just saying...  :bhead :old:

Rick, I agree that it would be nice to have a "dummy" display which tells us which set of bombs are selected, internal or wing, but remember, these guys are working on projects constantly, and what may seem to be a simple solution to us may actually foul things up in other areas that we have no way of knowing or checking.   

They have had me hooked for ten years and some ideas that date back to when I started are just recently getting around to being implemented. 

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 05:42:52 AM »
I always have my clipboard open, thus I need to use the mouse to open E6B because leaving that open just takes too much space. I would like a dot command or a button. Not that big of a deal though, I only check it when I'm getting close to bingo.

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 07:00:25 AM »
Like I said previously, the area where I think this idea would really improve game play is in the bombadeer position. 

For example:  You have done all of your calibrations to the tee.  Your speed and course are all set, and you get jumped by fighters and switching to gunner position and maneuvering has altered your speed.  But how do you know this?  There is no airspeed indicator from that position.  So, here is the tricky part.  You are zoomed in to locate your target to level bomb and you need to know that your calibrated speed is just so.  When you go to the clipboard E6b you are smacked in the head by the thing (it is zoomed in so far nothing is legible pertaining to speed or climb).  Also, like Rick said in certain bombers you don't know which ord is selected internal or wing loadout.  When you find the key to zoom out and get to read the info you find that you are off and need to adjust speed somehow, while still maintaining altitude and let's not forget that you will need to make fine adjustments to hit your target and not the Colonel's Volkswagen parked next to the tower.  So let's put the clipboard down and find that zoom key again.

^^^
Picture that the need for E6b clipboard, zoom and un-zoom, guess work on how much speed was gained or loss since last peek at the clipboard, all will be done away if the current airspeed was listed on the screen in text the way that altitude currently is.  Now, I am gonna feel like I am doing my job rendering evil doer's factories, refineries and HQs to rubble, instead of laying the ground work for a new swimming pool in their backyards.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 07:36:40 AM »
like i said, a .E6B command would be just as good. maybe even better. and let me give an example on how it'd be better-fighting in an insane furball or whatever it happens to be and you bumb the button you mapped the E6B to, well you just missed your shot.
do you have your clipboard positioned so it blocks your view out the windshield?

separate e6b that can be mapped to a joystick button would be nice.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 03:06:51 PM »
do you have your clipboard positioned so it blocks your view out the windshield?

separate e6b that can be mapped to a joystick button would be nice.
im never looking at anything but my clipboard in flight (unless im actually fighting and not flying to my destination), im directionally impared :lol

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 10:56:28 AM »
As normal this may be a case of give what is wanted not what is asked for.

Why do you wish to have such quick access to your clip E6B?

HiTech

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 11:54:17 AM »
As normal this may be a case of give what is wanted not what is asked for.

Why do you wish to have such quick access to your clip E6B?

HiTech

Why wouldn't we want to play with our whiz wheel at a moment's notice?
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2011, 01:03:07 PM »
Why wouldn't we want to play with our whiz wheel at a moment's notice?

I am confused as to which parts of e6b you guys look at and why.  all I check is remaining fuel time. 

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 01:18:26 PM »
Remaining fuel time is why I check it regularly in a fighter.  Ground speed is why I check it in a bomber (maybe a bit gamey, but considering there's no speedometer in the bombsight and I don't generally bomb in such a way that I have a sector to stabilize my speed and calibrate, I'll take all the help I can get.  :aok)

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 01:58:27 PM »
^^^
What Wiley said, but I have a problem with using the E6B and zoom.  I would prefer ground speed access all the time while in bombsight in text.   :bolt: 

The reason is I don't have a lit keyboard and I play when it is not convenient to have proper lighting, so switching between E6B and zoom out / bombsight and zoom in is a bit messy.

I mostly use it in every sortee to check for remaining minutes of fuel and trimming my fuel consumption.  Maybe remaining minutes could also display when damage screen is brought up.  This way it can be located in the corner like an extra fuel guage (for dummies -- like me) that doesn't interfere with the field of view.

Full explanation from prior post:

Like I said previously, the area where I think this idea would really improve game play is in the bombadeer position. 

For example:  You have done all of your calibrations to the tee.  Your speed and course are all set, and you get jumped by fighters and switching to gunner position and maneuvering has altered your speed.  But how do you know this?  There is no airspeed indicator from that position.  So, here is the tricky part.  You are zoomed in to locate your target to level bomb and you need to know that your calibrated speed is just so.  When you go to the clipboard E6b you are smacked in the head by the thing (it is zoomed in so far nothing is legible pertaining to speed or climb).  Also, like Rick said in certain bombers you don't know which ord is selected internal or wing loadout.  When you find the key to zoom out and get to read the info you find that you are off and need to adjust speed somehow, while still maintaining altitude and let's not forget that you will need to make fine adjustments to hit your target and not the Colonel's Volkswagen parked next to the tower.  So let's put the clipboard down and find that zoom key again.

^^^
Picture that the need for E6b clipboard, zoom and un-zoom, guess work on how much speed was gained or loss since last peek at the clipboard, all will be done away if the current airspeed was listed on the screen in text the way that altitude currently is.  Now, I am gonna feel like I am doing my job rendering evil doer's factories, refineries and HQs to rubble, instead of laying the ground work for a new swimming pool in their backyards.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 02:05:08 PM by Chilli »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2011, 03:14:58 PM »
so all you need is the remaining fuel and the ground speed?   see there's a big difference between saying i want the e6b and just those two items. 

if you look at the screen, there's not much left.  so a pop up window would be good. and it would have to be a .command that can be mapped to a stick.  which is not going to help any of you guys flying with keyboard only.  I dont think there's many key left without having some type of command.

as for having the those two items in text, perhaps look again and say where.  the bottom is taken by text bar.  upper left corner is taken by bombing data.  upper center is taken by the cntl I status, right upper is normally taken by the clipboard itself.  and the center of the screen is taken by the bombsight.  so where would it be installed that it could be seen?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2011, 04:01:53 PM »
^^^
What Wiley said, but I have a problem with using the E6B and zoom.  I would prefer ground speed access all the time while in bombsight in text.   :bolt: 
The reason is I don't have a lit keyboard and I play when it is not convenient to have proper lighting, so switching between E6B and zoom out / bombsight and zoom in is a bit messy.
I mostly use it in every sortee to check for remaining minutes of fuel and trimming my fuel consumption.  Maybe remaining minutes could also display when damage screen is brought up.  This way it can be located in the corner like an extra fuel guage (for dummies -- like me) that doesn't interfere with the field of view.
Full explanation from prior post:

+10 yes what he said!! :rock
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,