Author Topic: head of the terrain team  (Read 946 times)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
head of the terrain team
« on: February 23, 2012, 09:48:51 PM »
might i ask, who is head of the terrain team, and who are some of the authoritative members?

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Re: head of the terrain team
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 09:56:03 PM »
Depends ... AvA or CM?

If CM the head is myself, with Mrmidi, 68falcon, and Kantorri. If AvA I believe USranger but not sure who is under him.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 10:08:19 PM »
thanks man, thats what i need to know.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 10:20:21 PM »
AVA would be good. if possible i would like the midway42 terrain tested for a setup id like to do in the AVA. it has custom carrier groups with 4 CA's as opposed to 1. i would like to use this terrain to spawn a large sea battle where the players have to find each other first. then once the battle group is found, i will release the groups to player control and hope that they will launch a large air and sea offensive against each other. i could really use the terrain teams help on this one, to test and recommend this terrain to skuzzy and would like to thank everyone in advance for helping with your time and effort in pursuing this endeavor. skuzzy has said that he would like the terrain team to test and recommend before he moved it over to the AVA server and we could really use it. i think his biggest concern is that it not crash the server.  the terrain is presently in the custom arena terrain list. thank you again.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:45:16 PM by captain1ma »

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 07:39:01 AM »
Well for us to test it we will need the source files not just the res or going into the Custom Arena. So zip up the source files and send them to me. Well zip them up first and see how big the zip file is and then we can figure out how to send them. Once I have them I will distribute them to the others on the team and we will put it through the testing ringer. Basically same process we do for the SEA terrains before we ask Skuzzy to put them over on the SEA servers.

CM Terrain Team

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 08:57:16 AM »
might i ask, exactly what does the testing ringer entail, just out of curiosity? mind you i don't know anything about it, and i'm just curious?

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 09:54:07 AM »
Actually having that discussion with Nr_RaVeN right now. Basically the editor does a bunch of programmatic checks only. There are things you can do that will pass the editor but will trigger issues from a mechanical stand point once on the server or from a play ability stand point.

An example of a mechanical is that you can actually go and create a forest by individually placing every single tree. Its tedious but can result in some stunning results and actually allow you to the tree line more close to the shoreline. However, doing this has caused some issues in the past such as killing players frame rates and from what I was told put an extra strain on the server.

Another instance was we had a case where some custom field work was done but it somehow impacted the AA guns on the field. The editor was fine with everything but when I actually went spawned in the gun and fired off a few rounds the tracers were actually offset to the right of where they should have been. So for example if anything is done to an airfield it is part of my testing routine to actually go and spawn in the guns, spawn in the hangars, and at the spawn point to make sure everything is okay. Had another case where work was done that impacted the ability of LVTs to transition from water to land. Also have many instances of bridges levitating in the air. Not good for bridges but opens up an interesting possibly of making barage ballons for WW1 terrain or WW2 so acceptable for a barrage balloon but not for a bridge. All of these type of issues have happened in the past and the editor checks didn't catch them, only manual testing caught them. Which is why HTC really doesn't allow for much customization for MA terrains.

From a play ability stand point. If you know what you are doing you can actually take an existing plane and replace its 3D model (ask MrMidi since he is the 3D modeler) converting it into a new plane. You could say take a P51 and replace it with a He 111. It would still have the flight characteristics, damage model, etc. of the P51 but to the players it would actually look like an He 111. While doable, no you would not want this because a player comes in and thinks they are selecting a P51 and then get something completely different. You could replace the CVs in a terrain with Akagi CV. Now this is acceptable but would have to be tested to make sure that landing and take off still works correctly and manning the guns still work correctly.

Basically when adding new things to terrains you always want to add and not subtract. For instance you don't want to make re-arm pads destructible by players even if the editor allows you. Also you don't want to put Task Groups to close to land because it can cause server issues.

So its basically a whole host of what are probably termed best practices. If you create a 3D object it needs to be inspect to make sure that while the editor accepts it that it won't actually cause issues. Technically with the editor and 3D objects you could model the City of London in exact detail. The editors checks would allow you to do this. However, doing could crash the terrain since you are modelling every building individually and the strain on the server might be to much. As I said MrMidi is better one to chat about the exact details of modelling but I know Dale has also talked about the issue of how much detail can cause server issues (the whole do you really need to model the rail for the stairs of the field tower in exact detail discussion).

The more you customize things with new objects or modified objects the more things manually have to be tested and reviewed.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:57:23 AM by ghostdancer »
CM Terrain Team

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 10:03:42 AM »
yes it does, thank you very much.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 10:56:48 AM »
NM
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 11:57:02 AM by jimson »

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 02:22:53 PM »
Had a very good meeting with Nr_RaVen and USranger about testing requirements, the need for sources files, the whole process, etc., etc., and better coordination between them and the terrain tea, and ways to streamline the whole process and leverage the AvA terrain team more in the process.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:40:00 PM by ghostdancer »
CM Terrain Team

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 08:09:16 PM »
This year some magic is going to be happening in the world of AH terrains. :aok
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩