Author Topic: Starting point for skins  (Read 1595 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Starting point for skins
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 06:17:07 PM »
Pardon me for another question that may have you all rolling your eyes but since I have Coreldraw, can I work in vector for things like outlining and placing mask outlines, where I seem to have more control or should I stay in bitmap "Photopaint" all the time? I'm still learning features I have not used. Expect some pretty primitive questions from me for about a year.  :-)

that I cant help ya with, :headscratch: I don't use vector drawings.

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 09:43:22 PM »
If your editor allows vectors (I only use photoshop/illustrator, don't know which programs do and don't other than those) then definitely keep anything you're going to be resizing a lot as a vector.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Swoop73

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 09:53:07 PM »
Thanks, Mensa. I'll try it. Had this package "CorelDRAW X4" for a couple of years but primarily used it for photos. Whole lot of new stuff to learn.
"Had to...Had to keep 'em from the bombers"
325th Ace Art Fiedler on why he and 3 other Checkertails
charged into 40 FW 190's over Regensburg, Germany in Jan., 1945.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 01:07:01 PM »
I, personally have never used vectors for making skins as there is not a lot of re-sizing to be done.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 01:10:01 PM »
I could see it being useful for creating custom-recreations of historic noseart. I spent probably 20 layers on P-47D-25 "Rabbit"s nose art of Bugs Bunny.

The vector graphics system IMO doesn't really cater to skinning, which is more about pixel blending. However I wouldn't condemn somebody for trying it out  :cheers:

Offline Swoop73

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2011, 06:20:21 AM »
Thanks for the input. The only reason I was wondering about vector format is to work with and position lines and mask outlines. The actual artwork in RGB would remain unchanged. I'm having a tough time getting an accurate outline of, say, a wing and just do do the outline, vector allows me to push nodes around and get everything just right. I haven't found a way to adjust a line in RGB...I have to start over. Could just be my own ignorance since I'm in VERY new territory. Give me another decade, folks, and I'll be a force to be reckoned with!   :-)
"Had to...Had to keep 'em from the bombers"
325th Ace Art Fiedler on why he and 3 other Checkertails
charged into 40 FW 190's over Regensburg, Germany in Jan., 1945.

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2011, 02:03:03 PM »
Same swoop, pen tool ruled for an outline, then just rasterize when you don't need it anymore and use a clipping mask layer so you only 'color in the lines' so to speak.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2011, 02:03:40 PM »
Same swoop, pen tool ruled for an outline, then just rasterize when you don't need it anymore and use a clipping mask layer so you only 'color in the lines' so to speak.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer