Author Topic: Home networks  (Read 325 times)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Home networks
« on: November 22, 2011, 07:46:45 AM »
My game play PC is connected directly to the router via ethernet.
My (BT Vision) television  subscription service connects to the router via ethernet (and power circuit adaptors)
Three other lap tops and an ipad and sometimes even a couple of phones  connect to the router directly via wifi.

The ipad uses itunes via a connection to a lap top. One of the other lap tops is occasionally using p2p file sharing.

Am I doomed to perpetual packet loss?
Ludere Vincere

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: Home networks
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 07:57:50 AM »
yes you're doomed, unless you set up QOS in your router to prioritise your AH PC's packets.

edit: btw how much bandwidth up/down is your connection?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 08:03:27 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 11:34:18 AM »
well all the wifi devices share the same total bandwidth, but they can still overload your internet connection by themselves probably. I've never heard of pack loss due to overuse of a connection, but I'm not a network expert anyway.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 01:10:42 PM »
Packet loss occurs when, at any choke point (i.e. a router, switch....), network activity exceeds the limits of the connection and/or hardware.  Limits can be the speed of the router, the speed of the switch, the speed of the connection, and so on.  Wireless introduces a new type of packet loss due to bit errors in the stream, which are going to occur regardless of the network load.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 07:28:15 PM »
yes you're doomed, unless you set up QOS in your router to prioritise your AH PC's packets.

edit: btw how much bandwidth up/down is your connection?

QoS on a home grade router will not achieve much, especially if P2P is on the network.