Author Topic: Havent seen this trick before  (Read 423 times)

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
Havent seen this trick before
« on: February 17, 2012, 07:51:11 PM »
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: Havent seen this trick before
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 07:53:45 PM »
post deleted
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:31:12 PM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 08:02:06 PM »
You could use that trick as a way to get to translational lift regime if the helo is too heavy to lift off outside of ground effect.  I've read of tricks where UH-1 pilots flying overloaded helos in vietnam would unload the tail rotor to get more torque available to the main rotor and lift off in a crazy corkscrew, flipping the helo off the ground and down a hillside where it could accelerate and gain enough lift to continue to fly.  Sometimes it even worked.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 08:31:03 PM »
You could use that trick as a way to get to translational lift regime if the helo is too heavy to lift off outside of ground effect.  I've read of tricks where UH-1 pilots flying overloaded helos in vietnam would unload the tail rotor to get more torque available to the main rotor and lift off in a crazy corkscrew, flipping the helo off the ground and down a hillside where it could accelerate and gain enough lift to continue to fly.  Sometimes it even worked.

Oh so you use ground effects like a runway? Cool.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Hoffman

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 10:01:41 PM »

Heh, my Father has some crazy stories about Helo pilots he rode with who learned to fly during Vietnam. 
"Uhh.. aren't we a little close to that mountain?"
"Nah, Sir, we're getting free lift off of it!"
"Yes, but I can reach out and touch the mountain."

"Could you land a little further away from the trees please?"
"Don't worry about it, Sir, I've cut down whole trees before."
"Yes, but you're flying a Blackhawk now."

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 10:16:15 PM »
     Hmmm
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 10:29:25 PM »

Think it was the book Ckickenhawk by Mason that described a UH-1 flight where he was directed to land in a field surrounded
by barbed wire.  Just before he touched down he was informed by the base he was about to land his overloaded helo in a
minefield!  He managed to get it to a hover, but couldn't climb over the fences.  So he kept turning to the left <I believe> until
the combination of transitional lift and clean air for the rotor enabled him to hop the fence and land safely.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars