Author Topic: JABO  (Read 2154 times)

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
Re: JABO
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 05:42:47 AM »
take the thousand pounders too. You'll suffer a performance penalty, of course, but the increase in blast damage makes up for it. In any event, if you find yourself engaged en route to your target, you'll likely ditch the eggs anyway.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 08:45:38 AM »
Pro tips:

2. Put your nose where you guess you need to point, then go into 0-G. Yes use the G-meter. In that state, your trajectory is close to that of a bomb. The dive angle will steepen steadily, but within a fraction of a second you'll get the feeling of where you will hit the ground - if it happens to be on the target then release (still at 0-G) and pull out. If not, either correct or pull out without releasing and try again.

The pro's don't dive at 0 G to deliver ords. If you're in freefall you have no control over the impact point. You also accelerate too quickly at 0 G even with your engine off. A consistent dive angle in the range of 45-60 degrees will generally give the best results.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 05:31:15 PM »
The pro's don't dive at 0 G to deliver ords. If you're in freefall you have no control over the impact point. You also accelerate too quickly at 0 G even with your engine off. A consistent dive angle in the range of 45-60 degrees will generally give the best results.
In a dive you are at G<1 anyway. The steeper it is the closer you are to 0G, so the difference in acceleration is insignificant.

You dont aim the bombs while in 0G - you check your aim point. The fact that the future impact point does not change is the whole point (pun intended). It gives you a second to estimate it, without it changing all the time. You also dont need to hold 0G for more than a second. Looks good? release, no? correct, go into 0G again. What happens to many players is that they start from 12k or so, dive and then correct, not sure, correct, not sure, correct, not sure... oops about to crach, release in panic, miss, hit the ground. 0G gives a very intuitive feeling to where you will hit, without any aids. As a result, the player is confident in releasing from a higher altitude. It teaches you to get it right in the first or second guess, instead of walking the fuzzy future impact point along the ground, loosing altitude while you wait for it to reach the target. The latter is great if you have a CCIP computer and a HUD. We don't.

Of course, a real pro can release the bomb while in a 6G spiral dive, looking back, typing profanity on channel 200, and still hit the target.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 05:33:55 PM by bozon »
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 06:28:08 PM »
That may work for you but I think a shallower angle is better when you're learning to dive bomb. You don't need a CCIP. You can use your sight picture if you learn to consistently fly the same attack profile.

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 04:09:38 AM »
I only fly P38s.
My method is to approach with a 12K alt advantage.
Roll upside down and when my target is halfway between the canopy support and forward support, I chop throttle , engage "brakes" and roll level-wing in my dive, keeping my target in view the whole time; from commitment to pullout.
I generally pull out and extend away at around 1500 ft.
Works for me . . . but as the saying goes, "you're mileage may vary."
Check my stats, you'll see that I am much better at attack than fighter.

But I'm working on it.    :old:
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Peyton

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 09:45:22 AM »
From our website: http://www.fw190.org/training1.htm .

Where can you download the Jabo gunsight?