Author Topic: Joining a service  (Read 522 times)

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
Re: Joining a service
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 07:30:02 AM »
Curry dont listen to some of these knuckleheads. Game forums are filled with Liars and Mommies boys who have filled their days going brain dead with computer games and posting stupid one liners in forums. If you want the military life then go for it. ROTC is a great place to start. Become an Officer your men would do anything for, then, if you do go into battle you'll never be alone. Best of Luck.

Part of my job was raising and lowering the flag every day. On a military base if you dont stop your car during the ceremony, salute or put your hand over your heart, you could end up in the brig. It was a ceremony I was Honored to do.

During my life Ive both had to see and do terrible things. What got me thru it was the phrase, "this is the life I chose". Best wishes in your military career.
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 07:48:08 AM »
I joined US Army Infantry( Hooah!) in Nov 83. Spent almost 12 yrs as a Mortar Maggot (11C),
before being discharged 30% disabled.
You can leave the Military, but it never leaves you!                                                                                       
Wish I was still in.
                                                                                                                                      :cheers: Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 08:46:46 AM »
Monday was my twenty year anniversary of joining the Army. For me, it was the best decision of my life. I learn new things every day, the comradery is something not found in most work places. I love taking care of Soldiers. The bonds built with brothers and sisters who were/are with me is something which could never be replaced.

Hooah, Sarge !

Congrats on 20  :x

:salute
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 11:11:08 AM »
Well.

My dad told me if I joined the Army he would kill me.
I beleived him.
He was forward radio observer for Patton's 3rd Army
..went ashore D-Day all the way to VE day, spent a few months behind german lines,
..txferred to USAF after the war.

Weird to see a Msgt with infantry badges, bronze/silver stars an such.

Dad told me Navy or USAF for the education ..and no matter what the recruiter said,
..press for a college degree or you are wastin your time!

I told the recruiter I wanted to learn to put speakers in my car.
He put me in Electronic Countermeasures.
Man ..did I LEARN how to put speakers in a CAR!
I mean.
Associate in Avionic Technology.
My first degree ..earned while in the USAF.

Spent 13 years in, most of it on grave shift workin the flight line.
I learned there are no easy days on the flight line.

Saw some damn fine aero-planes turned to scrap metal in the blink of an eye here an there.
Knew some pilots who aren't around anymore.
Met some truly great people, worked with outstanding teams in desperate times.

I learned from leaders who did things right ..who earned my respect.
You will also meet their direct opposite ..
..be wary of anyone who asks you your date of rank first thing
..all he wants to know is if he can be a total jerk or if he has to kiss your ass.

There were a lot of good times ..a lot of bad times.
ie: I got reamed by a total jerk supervisor for not being in-shop to answer the damn phone
(I had delegated a Sgt to do that) ..
..I was out fixin a B-52 with two other guys that had to fly the next day ..
..silly me.

This was the guy who told me on my 3rd day there I did not act like a Tsgt
and he was going to do his best to make sure I did not remain one.

I replied if I got up on his desk and took a dump I would be acting like a Tsgt
because I *was* one
..and if he wanted to take a stripe to give it his best shot.

He turned a little purple, kinda half stood up behind his desk..
..figured if he took a swing at me I'd prolly break something of his.
A year later I got the HELL out.

I earned Commendations from Wing Commanders, Base Commanders, Senior Controllers
..even a petition signed by 75 people that wanted me back as their supervisor.
(Judge Advoate General showed me that when I was out-processing
..told me he needed me to stay and report on the jerks I was workin for ..
..that he hated to lose a supervisor with that kind of support from his troops.

The ECM shop at Castle AFB had the lowest retention rate in the USAF ..
..the Maintenance Officer actually accused me of sabotaging aircraft ..I laughed at her.
..I had never seen so many jerks all together in one place.

As an officer/leader ..
..you have to realize leadership is a priveledge extended to you by those who want to be led.
The key to being a good leader is treating your troops how you would like to be treated.
Respect is a two way street.
Don't be an ass.
Anyone can just say NO ..
ie: worst case ..
'fragging' was a very real event during that little fiasco in Southeast Asia.

-Frank aka GE
 USAF '72-'86
 (honor graduate, NCO Academy ..among other things)
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 12:15:20 PM »
In USAF the real Heros are the guys who worked the flightline and made sure the planes would be ready to go. And they would be out there in all kinda of weather, working all kinds of hours, under really adverse conditions. Most of all the gear-heads for the hot loaded B-52s cause not only did those bombers ALWAYS have to be ready but the "special mission" BUFFs were mostly based in the northern tier where is it COLD as HELL! Places like Minot ND, Moosehead MN, Northern MI, Ellsworth SD....ect

Now the fleets of hot Buffs are a thing of history but back then Those guys worked their rear ends off. Imagine the nightmare of keeping those birds flying in the MidEast.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:17:20 PM by Rich52 »
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 12:18:45 PM »
In USAF the real Heros are the guys who worked the flightline and made sure the planes would be ready to go. And they would be out there in all kinda of weather, working all kinds of hours, under really adverse conditions. Most of all the gear-heads for the hot loaded B-52s cause not only did those bombers ALWAYS have to be ready but the "special mission" BUFFs were mostly based in the northern tier where is it COLD as HELL! Places like Minot ND, Moosehead MN, Northern MI, Ellsworth SD....ect

Those guys worked their rear ends off.

I wholeheartedly agree.  However I wouldn't pass up the shot to be a pilot of anything and I am sure no one would blame me either haha.

ROTC is crap.

Curry1-Since Tour 101