Author Topic: Next up list for planes and vehicles.  (Read 417 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
Next up list for planes and vehicles.
« on: May 22, 2012, 09:40:07 AM »

What if HTC had a web page off the home page that tracked and displayed the list of planes [& vehicles] on the development list in order of priority. The list would be interactive with a check box next to each plane [or vehicle] that you could vote for. It records one vote per player, so if a new plane gets added, or you change your mind, you can vote for it, but any previous vote would be cancelled. 1 vote per player. Then the list would update in real time, displaying the order of priority based on votes [it could show the vote totals for each plane or vehicle].  Really really cool would be adding a link to an "official" wishlist topic of each plane so players could view the history and arguments for or against, as posted by the community. There are some very knowlegable memebers who's postings would be great insight into the history and performance of various planes and vehicles. This would reduce the need to re-start plane X,Y,Z threads every so often. These topics would get pinned in the Wishlist once the plane was added to the "next up" voting page.

A plane or vehicle only makes the list once it's been suggested in the wish list, and HTC had determined it meets their criteria.

:salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
Re: Next up list for planes and vehicles.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 02:19:20 PM »
There are a lot of AC and a hell lot more GVs to be added on thE list.  Like the idea but a lot of work to get the historical info of each.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 05:42:45 PM »
so what if the a/c ranked #1 is in development and they have spent a crap load of hours working on it and then it suddenly switches to #20 because slots #1 to #19 are all about the nook and any variations.  should they stop working on that aircraft and move to the one that is now on top?  what if the list changes everyday?  all the wasted time in developing an a/c that keeps switching.

just let ah determine how they want to proceed.  it hasnt been too bad, last time they asked we got the b29 and of course that airplane is so overused right now.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 06:02:23 PM »
I'd rather let HTC decide what to add with the occasional vote to throw the community a bone rather than see every imaginable American aircraft added before anything else.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 08:56:46 PM »
I'd rather let HTC decide what to add with the occasional vote to throw the community a bone rather than see every imaginable American aircraft added before anything else.

Why?  :headscratch:

everyone said the b-29 would ruin the game, but it didn't because they perked it. What could go wrong. So everyone would want the meteor, they'd perk it to death and then what? we'd be right back to quality aircraft. HTC woudl still decide what goes on the list so they could keep the riff raff planes out if you think they are on the same page with you. but it would stop the three month cycle on the boeard of resurecting every wish thread over and over.

wouldn't that be nice?  :D
Who is John Galt?

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 10:54:54 PM »

everyone said the b-29 would ruin the game,

I didn't.. I predicted it exactly.. You would never see one unless it was 30K+, so it would make no difference to anyone..
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 11:20:29 PM »
Why?  :headscratch:

everyone said the b-29 would ruin the game, but it didn't because they perked it. What could go wrong. So everyone would want the meteor, they'd perk it to death and then what? we'd be right back to quality aircraft. HTC woudl still decide what goes on the list so they could keep the riff raff planes out if you think they are on the same page with you. but it would stop the three month cycle on the boeard of resurecting every wish thread over and over.

wouldn't that be nice?  :D

I certainly never claimed the B-29 would ruin the game.  I wasn't even unhappy that it won, even though I voted for the Me410.

The problem is that due to either people just voting for something they have some idea what it is or nationalism, if there is any non-spectacularly bad American aircraft (I'll grant you the TBD Devastator wouldn't win) on the list, it will win over anything else.  If HTC put the entire queue up for voting, nothing non-American would be added until after the A-26, P-61, P-63, SB2C, PBY-5, M26 and M7 were added.

Bob, Charlie and Hank all want the A-26, Bill and Ted want the Yak-3, George and Carl want the Beaufighter, Jim and Mike want the P-61, Jack wants the P-63, Richard wants the SB2C.

First vote:
A26: Bob, Charlie, Hank
Yak-3:  Bill, Ted
Beaufighter: George, Carl
P-61: Jim, Mike
P-63: Jack
SB2C: Richard

So, A-26 gets added and Bob, Charlie and Hank have their votes freed up.

Second vote:
P-61: Jim, Mike, Bob, Hank
Yak-3: Bill, Ted
SB2C: Richard, Charlie
P-63: Jack

Now the P-61 gets added, freeing up Jim, Mike, Bob and Hank's votes/

Third vote:

P-63: Jack, Jim, Mike, Bob
Yak-3: Bill, Ted, Hank
SB2C: Richard, Charlie

Now the P-63 gets added, freeing up Jack, Jim, Mike and Bob's votes.

Fourth vote:

SB2C: Richard, Charlie, Jack, Jim, Bob
Yak-3: Bill, Ted, Hank
Beaufighter: George, Carl, Mike

Thus the Yak-3 has been in second place the whole time, yet never gets added.  The players who won the first vote get to then decide who wins the second vote and so on.  This creates a situation in which a sizable minority, about 40% based on the Me410 vs B-29A vote, who don't get what they want, not just for a single vote, but until the group that keeps winning runs out of things they want.  It is a recipe for frustration.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 11:35:51 PM »
Yak-3:  Bill, Ted
Bill and Ted's YAKcellent Adventure  :devil

And on topic, I also think a voting system is a bad idea.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 12:18:58 AM »
Thus the Yak-3 has been in second place the whole time, yet never gets added.  The players who won the first vote get to then decide who wins the second vote and so on.  This creates a situation in which a sizable minority, about 40% based on the Me410 vs B-29A vote, who don't get what they want, not just for a single vote, but until the group that keeps winning runs out of things they want.  It is a recipe for frustration.

Well put. I've noticed this problem in HTC's "tiered" polling process for a long time now. You get folks voting for things they don't really care about because it's the lesser of 2 evils, and if evenly matched would have stood a better chance.

Better to have just 1 vote and gather info/sampling from it, but not use it for the determining factor, or some other way of doing it that makes more sense. I'm no statistician, I just know there has to be a better way.

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 07:32:02 AM »
I'd rather have two lists.

List 1: Planes that people frequently wish for, mainly sexy late war super rides that get most of the votes every time. These are the planes that will be voted by the whole player base. Their release have first priority. These could be done e.g. once a year.

List 2: Planes that have value in scenarios or are required due to playability. These are added to a list with consideration by HTC and with player board (if need be) and these are released with secondary priority. No player base voting. These are done when List 1 does not have entries.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 09:11:41 AM »
I certainly never claimed the B-29 would ruin the game.  I wasn't even unhappy that it won, even though I voted for the Me410.

The problem is that due to either people just voting for something they have some idea what it is or nationalism, if there is any non-spectacularly bad American aircraft (I'll grant you the TBD Devastator wouldn't win) on the list, it will win over anything else.  If HTC put the entire queue up for voting, nothing non-American would be added until after the A-26, P-61, P-63, SB2C, PBY-5, M26 and M7 were added.

I see your point, but the way you've proposed it goes down means the YAK was never really in second place. A large group of folks all want the same 5 planes, non of which are the YAK. That's just a perception problem not a reality that the yak is more desired but keeps getting shafted. That's fixable by letting people vote for 5 planes/vehicles at a time. Then you'd see teh YAK in 6th place.

You needent fear the vote. HTC will only let on the list what they feel belongs in the game, which is big safety net. Perhaps it's that some of the more proficient WWII historians feel they have a better chance of getting what they want because HiTech thinks more like they do, so why risk a vote of the great un-educated masses. I don't mean that in a bad way, I think it's a valid point, that the game be driven by some expertese. But after three years in this game I don't think the masses are un-educated and I'd trust them with a vote. Data is always good, and always interesting. If nothing else that pole page with the links would be a great read.  :aok

I'm also not suggesting that HTC be legally bound by the results at a given time or the standings on the list. They could, when it's time to do a new plane choose a number of ways to use the list. For example
"We at HTC are going to add the top Allied and Top Axis plane in the standings."
Or "We are going to add the top Russian, Japanese, and French fighter."

all I'm suggesting is a running list that reflects what people have asked for, with up to date status community support for the stuff on the list, and a pinned thread to each plane. It's really just a more organized wish list because I enjoy the wish list and the discussion. All the repeats and back tracking, searching and rehashing are inefficient.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 09:20:10 AM »
I still don't like it.  Bottom line is, in my experience, players are often bad, very bad, at game design.  They usually pick thinks they think would be cool without thinking of the consequences of that change.  I see this all the time on these forums and the World of Warcraft forums.

Further, having such a list and then HTC deciding that the game needs, say, the TBD Devastator and adding that would produce a lot of additional whining about how the TBD was added when the vote was clearly for the  the A-26.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Dover

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 09:57:19 AM »
I think the voteing idea is not good
maybe every once in a while when they have a few planes they don't know which one to add but not for the whole list
but i would like to see a list of que of whats coming up
something that will give you a idea and maybe just a year its planed on being released like

Ju-87-g  2012
Me 410  late 2012
##### 2013
@@@@ mid 2013

something like that dont give exact dates so no one can be like where is it

but gives the people something to salivate over
not only that but have the discussion thread for each plane linked to it like he siad could be a good place to get ideas for it like gun packages and load out options