Author Topic: Terrain creation request: roads/tracks that dont get removed by water/beach  (Read 316 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
I could do some awsome stuff if water and beach textures did not make the road/tracks invisible.

could it be possible to make the roads and tracks always visible regardless of clutter kind of like strat and airbases? i think this would be better than them being invisible next to water or when clutter isn't visible.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
I always thought it would be really cool if they made real bridges over water so you could drive tanks cross countries, like make bridges every sector or so! And maybe planes could bomb out certain parts of the bridge, or troll a tank crossing by bombing both sides of the bridge leaving him stranded  :rofl
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
I always thought it would be really cool if they made real bridges over water so you could drive tanks cross countries, like make bridges every sector or so! And maybe planes could bomb out certain parts of the bridge, or troll a tank crossing by bombing both sides of the bridge leaving him stranded  :rofl
wish granted...just can't be used on a main arena map. usranger made a great one with destroyable bridges for use in the ava...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline 715

• Silver Member
I'm curious: what awesome stuff?  A rail line in the ocean (causeway)?  A flooded road?

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
the train tracks and roads have built in bridges that are always in the same position along the road/track. if they were not made invisible by proximity to water or beach in the terrain engine they could actually have a logical reason for the bridges because the terrain maker could add some rivers or lakes that flow under the bridges. they are not destructable but still would be fun.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Fester,

There is a great deal to the "art" of putting together wonderful new looking terrains for the MA that you and a select few are blessed with the abilities to put together.

For those of us who would love to be able to just take a peek at what it is that you all do, we need to understand that some things are allowed / not allowed in making these terrains.  These are just some answers from questions raised on the Terrain Editor forum:

1) editing terrain textures
Yes

2) rearranging the object layout of the default terrain clutter tiles
Yes

3) replacing terrain objects (like trees or forrests) with custom objects on the clutter tiles
No

4) editing default object textures
Depends.  One of the goals of a MA terrain is to keep the size reasonably small.  Changing a lot of textures have the greatest imapct on terrain file size.

5) rearranging the object layout of the bases or strats
No

6) replacing base or strat objects with custom objects
No

7) adding new objects (like bridges)
No

My question to you, is it #3, 4 or 7 that gets in the way of what you wish to achieve?

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
Fester,

There is a great deal to the "art" of putting together wonderful new looking terrains for the MA that you and a select few are blessed with the abilities to put together.

For those of us who would love to be able to just take a peek at what it is that you all do, we need to understand that some things are allowed / not allowed in making these terrains.  These are just some answers from questions raised on the Terrain Editor forum:

My question to you, is it #3, 4 or 7 that gets in the way of what you wish to achieve?

It has not been a problem using the limitations asked for in this main arena so far. I am using default textures as well.

the bridges I am talking about are part of the road and track system and are already in game as default parts of the roads that the supply convoys travel on.

I try to place the roads so that they are in the area where vehicles travel.

my request deals with the road/track object being in the same category as clutter. because of this it is set to disapear when the terrain maker places water or beach texture or a town/base/city within a mile of the road/track.