Author Topic: Dot Speed command  (Read 1099 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Dot Speed command
« on: July 11, 2012, 01:48:41 PM »
 :airplane: For some reason, the last month or so, I may have to enter the dot speed that I want 4 or 5 times before it will engage. (Yes, I am in auto-climb and I am above the value I am trying to obtain). Is there an adjustment for this command, or is it a PC problem?
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Dot Speed command
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:57:09 PM »
What plane and what speed are you typing?

Also are you doing this shortly after take off?

HiTech
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:59:16 PM by hitech »

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 02:23:31 PM »
I use the command a lot - and as recently as last Friday during FSO; works fine for me and never had any issues with it. I've used it shortly after takeoff with no issues. Once set and engaged, I use the throttle to adjust my climb/decend rate, since the auto-pilot mode is an auto-speed function and can be used for climb or decent.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 12:50:40 AM »
I use it daily without failure. Must be an out of range issue.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline TwinTail

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 01:55:21 AM »
Make sure your not still within auto take off, dot speed will not work until you manually disengage auto take off after liftoff and then engage auto climb.
d-40 and d-11 easily out turn a spixteen
==*Top Gun*==
TwinTail

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 09:03:21 AM »
Is there a way to restore the default climb speeds after they are changed or is it not a "sticky setting"?

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 09:06:11 AM »
Is there a way to restore the default climb speeds after they are changed or is it not a "sticky setting"?

I'm not 100% certain, but I think it resets the next time you spawn that plane in a new sortie.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 09:27:07 AM »
What plane and what speed are you typing?

Also are you doing this shortly after take off?

HiTech
:airplane: I am usually about 1,000 feet AGL, as I wait until all bombers have become airborne and then enter the dot speed command. I noticed one of the replies said that you have to disengage auto takeoff function, then re-engage auto climb before entering dot speed commands. I have never follow that procedure before, as I usually don't make any turns until all have taken off. Should I disengage auto takeoff first, then engage auto climb, so as to make dot speed command work. I usually get it to work, but have to make 4 to 6 attempts to do so..some of the other guys in the squad, Devil Dogs, have also complained of the same problem. Every once in a while, 1 out of 5 takeoffs, it will work normally and will engage first time I try it.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 09:43:41 AM »
Try this, Earl: disengage autopilot during climb out. Hand fly then set speed dot command. Setting the speed command is engaging an autopilot command. You can set 3 autopilot modes: level, angle (AoA) set and speed set.

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 09:53:07 AM »
Try this, Earl: disengage autopilot during climb out. Hand fly then set speed dot command. Setting the speed command is engaging an autopilot command. You can set 3 autopilot modes: level, angle (AoA) set and speed set.
:airplane: Thanks for tip, will try that next sortie!!  :salute

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 12:07:48 PM »
earl1937.

In AutoTake off the speed is set for a take off speed. As the plane is climbing after take off, the speed setting is controlled by the auto take off auto pilot, it slowly increases until the plane is traveling at the default best climb speed . Once it reaches this speed it switches to the normal "speed" auto pilot. Until this happens the .speed function will not work if you are remaining in auto take off.

So just toggle the auto pilot off, and back to speed, if you wish to set it before the speed has been reached.

HiTech

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 12:17:32 PM »
earl1937.

In AutoTake off the speed is set for a take off speed. As the plane is climbing after take off, the speed setting is controlled by the auto take off auto pilot, it slowly increases until the plane is traveling at the default best climb speed . Once it reaches this speed it switches to the normal "speed" auto pilot. Until this happens the .speed function will not work if you are remaining in auto take off.

So just toggle the auto pilot off, and back to speed, if you wish to set it before the speed has been reached.

HiTech

No way in hell HiTech actually typed this!  Not enough errors.

Thanks for the info, whoever you are.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 12:33:21 PM »
earl1937.

HiTech
:airplane: I never try to use dot speed command until after I have stablized in default climb speed. However, I do understand that if it worked as advertised, even if I entered it at 100MPH IAS, if it engaged, it would just push the nose down until it reached the dot speed 120, which is the speed at which we are trying to set. That is with 50% fuel, 12, 500lbers, best ROC is 118MPH, IAS and the default climb speed is close to what Boeing recommended for cruise climb. No big thing, just trying to get altitude faster, there-fore less cross country time enroute, which allows us to take off from closer base to target. Thanks for your help and comments!  :salute