Author Topic: Limitation with the Lead Computing Sight?  (Read 577 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Limitation with the Lead Computing Sight?
« on: July 26, 2012, 02:49:06 PM »
My understanding of the Lead Computing gunsight is: When enabled you keep the center of your fixed gunsight on the green cross and within the effective range of your gun(s) your lead and elevation is adjusted by the green cross for your rounds to intersect the moving con as you hold your gunsight center on the green cross.

I've been testing the new Target command with the Wirbel Wind and Ostwind to build distance and elevation correct gunsights. The picture below is from a screen capture after setting the offline target so my LC high lighted B25 will fly through the target exactly where my rounds are impacting. That way I don't have to track the B25 just hold down on the trigger while it flys into the 37mm stream and explodes. If you look at the picture the green lead cross is not inline with the center of the gunsight but, with the corrisponding elevation line to 2325 yards at 25 degrees pitch.

The screen shot was taken just before the B25 passes through into the target in the shot dispersion zone and blows up from the bullet stream.

So are our instructions for using the lead computing gunsight different when using Flack versus flying aircraft? And no one has ever updated us about this all of these years?

At 2325 yards you are looking at a 90ft dispersion cloud for the 37mm. Past 2700 yards the 37mm rounds stop making hit sprites and shot patterning on the target. So the Osti has a 2700 yard maximum effective range. That would coincide with self destruct fuzes used in AA rounds.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Limitation with the Lead Computing Sight?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 02:57:59 PM »
I was testing with the 37mm manned ack the same way. For manned ack, wirbel and osti, the lead comp sight does not calculate the loft for you. Only the lead, leaving the drop compensation to you. And you need to know when using the lead comp sight what your maximum ranges are for the guns you are testing.

Gun in Game Tested------Max at level------Max at 85 degrees
Wirbel 20mm Flack 38 --- 1700 yards------1600 yards(4800ft)
Ostwind 37mm Flack 43 - 2700 yards------2600 yards(7800ft)
Manned 37mm Flack 37 - 4700 yards------4600 yards (13,800ft)

If the Ostwind 3.7cm gun is using the same ammo as the manned 3.7cm gun, the ranges against the offline target should match. Maximum effective range for the 3.7 cm Flakzwilling gun family was 4800m(5249yd-15,740ft). Modeling of self destruct fuzes to limit range is understandable but, that would be more towards the end of the effective range, not just past half.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.