Author Topic: Training Films: Dueling with Bruv: P47-D11  (Read 592 times)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Training Films: Dueling with Bruv: P47-D11
« on: February 17, 2013, 09:16:49 PM »
This film contains nearly an hour of solid dueling in the P47-D11. We were using the six gun loadout. This was the final part of what was a very long session of intense dueling between myself and Bruv119 sometime back in 2012. Bruv is an excellent and versatile opponent and this made for very entertaining and challenging fights for me. I enjoy this type of dueling immensely, win or lose.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?3vwvcbe8i1ndd55  -  film link to P47-D11 duels  18mb

The D11 is a fantastic plane to learn ACMs in. Spending a tour or so in a D11, D25 or D40 will teach you things you never thought you could know about combat flying in an aircraft. Well, as long as you stay below 15k and actually are forced to fight some. If not, they also make excellent smart flying rides with murderous guns for picking off foes in high speed dives.

If you want to know anything about what the D11 can do in a toe to toe fight then the chances are you will find it in this film.

Please feel free to post comments, questions or advice.

(forgot to say, the terrain we dueled on is not one of the HTC terrains so unless Bruv or MickyD wants to post it up for us to d/l the fights will appear to take place over water, but this is no real problem.)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 09:20:13 PM by mechanic »
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline B2B

• Nickel Member
Re: Training Films: Dueling with Bruv: P47-D11
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 09:48:30 AM »
 :aok Fantastic footage Batty/Bruv! Thanks for your time and effort on all the films.  :salute
Tour 92

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 11:10:45 AM »
 :salute  B2B.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 10:02:35 AM »
Very nice, guys.

Thanks for posting!   :aok
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Seadog36

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 11:57:55 AM »
Nice fights :salute

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 02:18:53 PM »
I have a question..

Were you purposefully setting up for so many overshoots?  I know from your other videos it seems to be something you're very good at, but was this a conscious decision you were making from the start or did you just adjust once the opportunity presented itself? 

Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 05:39:12 PM »
No not really. I would say mostly it is just a matter of reacting to the opponent's flying. In most dueling situations the guy who gets lower will be attempting to setup negative energy advantages and the guy who grabs more alt will be trying to control the fight.

Perhaps watching the films will illuminate certain styles that each of us has. What is also interesting to note is that our individual styles slightly favour different planes. In the spitfire and the 109 films also posted in the training forum here Bruv dominates more often than not. In the bigger and heavier P47s my style seemed to work for me slightly better than in the smaller fighters. In the spifires I would guess I lost around 70% of the fights. Perhaps more.

Negative energy advantage is a phrase I sort of made up quite some years ago relating to an explanation I was trying to give about the BRD and other lower speed relative tactics, so I am not sure if it is even a real term. What I mean is turning the supposed disadvantage of lower speed to your opponent into an advantage. I'll draw a quick diagram to show roughly how I see it.

So the pink and the red zones are the worst possible places to be. The Pink being that you do not have enough E to reach your enemy. The red being You have just too much E to turn with your enemy but not enough to be out of reach. Either of the two green zones are where we want to be. I like to fight differently so that sometimes I'm aiming for negative E adv and other times for positive.

And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 06:28:36 PM »
Ahhh ok.   You're diagram makes complete sense to me.

I found a lot of similar positions from your film that I often get into.   I usually end up making the wrong choice and wind up in a disadvantageous position.

I need to work on forcing over shoots.    :old:
      -AoM-