Author Topic: GVs vs Aircraft but not in a fight  (Read 655 times)

Offline Taurus45

• Zinc Member
GVs vs Aircraft but not in a fight
« on: January 08, 2013, 04:33:07 AM »
Hi there I have a complaint, not a whine a complaint ;) When it comes to aircraft they have little if any obsticals to overcome byh this I mean even the weather is perfect for flying.

A GV on the other hand must not only deal with obvious terrain problems but also the very numerous small bumps, hills, rocks etc that have been added to block that GV from reaching its objective and/or seeing it.

My question to this forum and to HTC is WHY?

I know this is a flight game, I can and do fly bombers. I do not fly fighters because I cant. My bombing is not that bad and my tank score is ok also. I have fun here but sheesh make it a little more compatible for GVs.

<S> Taurus45

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: GVs vs Aircraft but not in a fight
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 07:31:19 AM »
LOL!!! Really?

At this point in the GV game, you have to know how to drive to avoid objects. aim at a slow moving if not stopped target and press one button to fire. Move to continue the hiding part of the game, and repeat.

Flying on the other hand you first have to get off the ground with out running into things. While under attack this can be very difficult. Once your up in the clear blue the flying can be as easy as driving. Once a fight starts on the other hand you have to be VERY busy. throttle, flaps, rudder and stick, and that is only to contol YOUR plane. You still have to work the fight. Figure out where "he" is going force him into a move, watch for other bad guys, and even good guys so you don't shot them as they try to pick your target.

How much easier do you want the GV game? Especially the way it is played today.... drive to spawn, kill until killed, repeat.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 07:42:30 AM »
  I drove up to an air base the other day and parked at the end of the runway just out of sight. Oh what fun dropping airframes like octomom drops babies.  :O  :rofl
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 03:02:57 AM »
A GV on the other hand must not only deal with obvious terrain problems but also the very numerous small bumps, hills, rocks etc that have been added to block that GV from reaching its objective and/or seeing it.
Really?! the terrain is very smooth and easy ride for GVs. Have you ever driven off road with a heavy vehicle? There's a reason that even tanks tended to stay on the roads instead of driving at a random direction across muddy fields, streams, ditches and stone piles. When they did, it was SLOW.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Taurus45

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 06:00:34 PM »
Really?! the terrain is very smooth and easy ride for GVs. Have you ever driven off road with a heavy vehicle? There's a reason that even tanks tended to stay on the roads instead of driving at a random direction across muddy fields, streams, ditches and stone piles. When they did, it was SLOW.

Good point and well taken TY for your post <S>

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 06:42:15 PM »
Limiting visibility due to hills and foliage creates tactical situations.  In an open, unobstructed environment tactics matter a lot less and it simply becomes who has the largest force with the best guns and the best optics.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 10:06:04 PM »
Um... the way I see it gv's have it real easy in terms of navigating terrain.  No ravines, no mud, no mines, no rivers, no tank traps, etc, etc.  Heck, even the terrain is as smooooth as can be to drive over.

GV's have it easy, dont kid yourself.  The only thing gv's have to watch out for it a rabid hedge row once in awhile.   :D
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 10:49:20 PM »
GVs should have to follow the same icon range/identification that aircraft do.

Oh, I'm in a T-34... that's clearly an La-5FN out there... look at the wings.  Yes, he's 5k away... big whoop.  STAND BY ION CONTROL!!!
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 11:32:19 PM »
GVs should have to follow the same icon range/identification that aircraft do.

Oh, I'm in a T-34... that's clearly an La-5FN out there... look at the wings.  Yes, he's 5k away... big whoop.  STAND BY ION CONTROL!!!

The whole icon thing is another topic.  But yes, you're correct there could be some adjusting done to limit the insta-info icon we currently have.  I'd like to see a generic 1ENG, 2ENG, 4ENG, from 6000 down to 3000 yards then at 2999-0 show the model of aircraft.  I think too much info is given too fast, the air to air recon/scouting portion of AH is lacking.

The air to ground icon is about right, imo.  The 1200 yards while moving and 600 yards while parked is a whole lot better than the 2k it was prior.  The same would go for gv to air as air to air icon (6000-3000 a generic icon, then at 2999 it shows the model).
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.