Author Topic: avoid capture?  (Read 692 times)

Offline texasfighter

• Copper Member
avoid capture?
« on: February 21, 2013, 10:50:02 PM »
You are in a gv, you spawn in to join an attempt at a base take but it fails. You survive but the friendly base you spawned in from is a whole sector away. How far do you have to drive to avoid capture?

I had a M3 with troops and was hiding in a barn when the base take failed and gradually everybody but maybe one friendly fighter was gone. I tried to drive back far enough that I could tower out without getting "captured." I drove for almost a half hour until I was definitely outside the dar ring of the enemy base. When I towered out I was still captured. So do you really have to drive half a sector to get back to the point where you won't be captured? That would have been probably 45 minutes or more of driving in the example I gave.

As always, thanks for the help!
Tex78

"If you wanted a glamor picture to send home you sat in a Mustang, when you wanted to come back from a mission you sat in a Thunderbolt."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: avoid capture?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 04:16:48 AM »
You are in a gv, you spawn in to join an attempt at a base take but it fails. You survive but the friendly base you spawned in from is a whole sector away. How far do you have to drive to avoid capture?

If you are in hostile territory (which simply means an enemy base is closer to you than a friendly one), you have to get at least 5k separation from the nearest enemy for a safe landing.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline texasfighter

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 09:10:12 AM »
Ok, I'll try to be more precise. I drove outside the dar bar of the enemy base. What is the radius of the dar bar? 10k? No-one got a proxy kill. Therefore, as I understand it, there was no enemy within 1.5 k of me. So I was at least 10k away from the enemy base with no enemy within 1.5 k of me. I believe in fact that there was no enemy within about 5 k and that was an enemy plane so altitude is factored in. I will check that on the film. So again, I don't understand why I was "captured". It has to be more than 5k. Maybe I can get a screen shot of the map from the film to illustrate my point.

"If you wanted a glamor picture to send home you sat in a Mustang, when you wanted to come back from a mission you sat in a Thunderbolt."

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 09:28:02 AM »
Ok, I'll try to be more precise. I drove outside the dar bar of the enemy base. What is the radius of the dar bar? 10k? No-one got a proxy kill. Therefore, as I understand it, there was no enemy within 1.5 k of me. So I was at least 10k away from the enemy base with no enemy within 1.5 k of me. I believe in fact that there was no enemy within about 5 k and that was an enemy plane so altitude is factored in. I will check that on the film. So again, I don't understand why I was "captured". It has to be more than 5k. Maybe I can get a screen shot of the map from the film to illustrate my point.

It gets confusing as to which "terms" you use. "I drove outside the dar bar of the enemy base" well there really isn't any such thing. Dar Bar is sector related. So if the enemy Vbase is in the top left corner of sector 12.8 then driving over the line either north or west gets you out of the sector and out of DarBar range, but your still close to the enemy base.

As Lusche said, if your in "enemy territory" (closer to an enemy base than a friendly base) you have to get at least 5k separation from the nearest enemy for a safe landing. That includes planes. There is no "about" as you say here "no enemy within about 5 k ". It's computers and it is always exactly 5k. If you see a plane with an icon, wait until it is out of site.

Offline texasfighter

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 09:48:45 AM »
I was outside of the radar ring. I just reviewed the film. Unfortunately the map does not appear on the film. I know I checked it several times as I was driving so I think the film just does not capture that. There was an enemy bomber, a B24 that was flying in my direction in the last minute or so before I towered out. It was 5.1k away 1 sec. before I towered out. If that was the problem, I don't understand why he didn't get a proxy kill.

Also, this is not the first time this has happened to me. I went in to the early war arena and drove a Panzer to an enemy gv base. I killed a couple auto guns and knocked down the radar. I drove that Panzer a long time to put separation in between me and the enemy base. There was only 1 other player in the game and I don't think he ever showed up at the base I was attacking. Certainly never saw or heard from him. Again, no proxy kill when I towered out but I was "captured".

I guess I will have to do this all over again and get screen prints to prove my point.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 10:02:13 AM »
There was an enemy bomber, a B24 that was flying in my direction in the last minute or so before I towered out. It was 5.1k away 1 sec. before I towered out. If that was the problem, I don't understand why he didn't get a proxy kill.

Because proxy kill range is much shorter.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 10:03:58 AM »
Also, this is not the first time this has happened to me. I went in to the early war arena and drove a Panzer to an enemy gv base. I killed a couple auto guns and knocked down the radar. I drove that Panzer a long time to put separation in between me and the enemy base. There was only 1 other player in the game and I don't think he ever showed up at the base I was attacking. Certainly never saw or heard from him. Again, no proxy kill when I towered out but I was "captured".

Just because you don't see him, it's not that he can't be there. For example somewhere beyond 3k in a jeep.
There's a film of that particular incidence? Had you been damaged by auto ack?

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 11:32:29 AM »
Actually I think HT said 5.5K at one point for a safe landing.  Proxie range is 2K or under and if the enemy didn't get a ping on you even that's not guaranteed.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 05:46:22 PM »
 Tex,

simply put you werent far enough away from the nearest enemy!  Doesnt matter where you are on the map, except if you happen to find some concrete to tower out on, if you tower out and an enemy is within the range you get a ditch.

Judging from your account it's likely the B24 was too close,but as Lusche pointed out an unseen enemy GV could cause the same thing. If you really are concerned about a successful landing the best bet is to find some concrete in friendly territory and tower out there. Of course a friendly storch or other A/C could scout the area to see if you're clear but otherwise be prepared for a long drive home!

It's similar to landing a plane,if you have just 1 wheel off the tarmac it's a ditch, the line has to be drawn somewhere and I think HTC is rather generous with the "line" for GV's.

If you'd like we can talk about it,just drop by you know where to find me!

:salute

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 10:58:22 AM »
You can  land in this game..........who knew......     :devil