Author Topic: Channel 1 or Channel 200  (Read 767 times)

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
Channel 1 or Channel 200
« on: February 04, 2013, 01:18:54 PM »
I have been window shopping different arenas recently, and was interested to understand why the cross country open vox channel is different based on the area that you're in. 

Example: 
EW, MW, LW seem to use channel 200 for cross country comms, while the DA and TA use channel 1?

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Channel 1 or Channel 200
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 01:33:12 PM »
I believe 200 is used in the MA's so it has the capability to be turned off.  TBH not sure why it'd be on in the DA.  The TA it could be so people without special privileges could say stuff that everybody can hear unless they have you explicitly squelched.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 01:39:18 PM »
I couldn't see any easy way to detune channel 1 when in the DA.  I was doing some training with a friend, and someone was berating another with a bunch of others... there was no way to detune without creating a filter in the text tab or squelching a ton of people. 

Just wondering if it is intended to be this way or if this was just overlooked for these arenas.

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 03:05:10 PM »
I believe that due to the lower population of EW/MW/etc., they leave ch1 active. It's an arena setting to toggle ch1 comms and kill messages (we turn them both off for FSO, for example).

Some say that you can .squelch 1 - maybe you can try that. I personally have not yet found a reason to detune anything or squelch anyone. I'm perfectly capable of ignoring what is of little interest to me, and have the self-control to not get sucked into the ch200 crap-fests or BBS drama that so many seem to have problems with.

For those that say HTC should disable ch200 in the game, there is still 201-299 for people to choose from and it wouldn't take long for everyone to settle into the next channel in the list.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 04:59:28 PM »
I have been window shopping different arenas recently, and was interested to understand why the cross country open vox channel is different based on the area that you're in. 

Example: 
EW, MW, LW seem to use channel 200 for cross country comms, while the DA and TA use channel 1?

The nuts of it is population and crowd control.

In lower pop arenas, it's tollerable and constructive if a "neeewb" or even a new guy behaving like a CAH can immediatley access and communicate to everyone across the board.  IE:
-"Hai guys, why can't I fly the P51?"  <"This is the Early War arena.">
-"Hai guys, bish CVs are at 12.10.8, 9.7.5 and 1.2.3 sailing for 5.5.5, go get em!"  <"We all know, we're setting them up for a massive multi-country CV engagement at high-noon.">

The same can happen on 200 in the LWMAs, but you first have to figure it (ch200) out as a player.  Abuse it, enough, and you'll get moderated or mass reported.  Also, you can't detune 1, so it's all or nothing for the the arena in terms of settup.  Nobody is/wants to be tuned to an all-channel 100% of the time in an arena with 150-500 players - the optional/available 200 solves that.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 08:50:53 PM »
Try:-

.squelch 1    .unsquelch 1

Alternatively you can set up your own 'peace and quiet' tab and right click to filter out everything you don't want to read. You only have to set this up once and then you can use it whenever you wish.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 11:00:56 PM »
Try:-

.squelch 1    .unsquelch 1

Alternatively you can set up your own 'peace and quiet' tab and right click to filter out everything you don't want to read. You only have to set this up once and then you can use it whenever you wish.

Ah then when going into those arenas iI can just click the tab... thanks shida!

Regards,

Pandemonium

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 07:40:58 PM »
I couldn't see any easy way to detune channel 1 when in the DA.  I was doing some training with a friend, and someone was berating another with a bunch of others... there was no way to detune without creating a filter in the text tab or squelching a ton of people. 

Just wondering if it is intended to be this way or if this was just overlooked for these arenas.

There are 5 radio channels. Beside each one is a drop down arrow. The channel "all" is used in all except the MA where most tune to 200 but "all" will work in the MA but nobody is tuned.

Simply tune your radio 1 channel to ANY CHANNEL or just set it to "mission". If you are with a friend then tune to each other on Channel 1

" .radio 1 253" ---- both tune to this channel (or any number over 200) on channel 1 and you will only see chat from each other. Channels above 200 let you chat with the opposing team. Channels below 200 are for your country.

There is a whole radio tutorial on the training site...not sure of the link. But its there .

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 02:07:27 PM »
There are 5 radio channels. Beside each one is a drop down arrow. The channel "all" is used in all except the MA where most tune to 200 but "all" will work in the MA but nobody is tuned.

Simply tune your radio 1 channel to ANY CHANNEL or just set it to "mission". If you are with a friend then tune to each other on Channel 1

" .radio 1 253" ---- both tune to this channel (or any number over 200) on channel 1 and you will only see chat from each other. Channels above 200 let you chat with the opposing team. Channels below 200 are for your country.

There is a whole radio tutorial on the training site...not sure of the link. But its there .

I've inadvertently been tuned before to 1-All in the LWMA after being in another arena on that channel.  When I tried to send messages, nothing showed up, I do believe it is disabled in the LWMA.  Tuneing to it will reveal nobody there because of this too, I believe.

I believe "missions" is also it's own seperate and temporary channel for the duration of your participation in a mission.

Also, in the LWMA, I thought (maybe previously) channels 201-299 were disabled...  because, you know, spiezz.  :noid

Personaly, I wish both were enabled in the LWMA, maybe even for just a 1-month trial.  Snoops and snitches will be snoops and snitches - if 201-299 were enabled I doubt it would further degrade inter-chess-piece relations or "conspirations" (unfounded or otherwise), however it might (just might) improove some relations across borders and spur some variety to the normal/routine melles and horde grabs.  And the 1-All channel...  one word, please.  "Noobs" wouldn't think about finding the 200 channel, maybe even avoid it out of lack of need or interest.  Let 200 remain, let it continue to be the dim-lit alley behind the bar, and if necessary police 1-All as if it were the main street frontage.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 07:10:56 PM »
There are 5 radio channels.<snip>

Technically 6  :)
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 07:38:14 PM »
There are 5 radio channels. Beside each one is a drop down arrow.

Technically 6  :)

Nope, those are radios...not channels. Each radio can be tuned to any number of different channels (like 'squad', 'mission', 'all', 103, 150, 200, 237, etc.)
My Current Rig:

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 10:21:49 PM »

Nope, those are radios...not channels. Each radio can be tuned to any number of different channels (like 'squad', 'mission', 'all', 103, 150, 200, 237, etc.)

OK, technically six radios.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 10:53:11 PM »
What's #6?  :headscratch:

Radio 1-4 are text-only and radio 5 is text/voice.
My Current Rig:

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 11:44:53 AM »
What's #6?  :headscratch:

Radio 1-4 are text-only and radio 5 is text/voice.

Tempted to wait and delay the reply but I'm not that  :t 
Maybe I am     :devil
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaa :angel:

The SHIFT [ | \ ]key. Under backspace and above ENTER, it will transmit text on your VOX channel, whoops radio.

So Shift

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 11:47:44 AM »
Shift-\ is a shortcut for typing text on the vox radio (Radio 5).  So, technically there are still only 5 radios - it's just one can also handle vox.  ;)
My Current Rig: