Author Topic: MA Maps  (Read 299 times)

Offline scarecrw

• Zinc Member
MA Maps
« on: February 17, 2013, 08:10:36 PM »
Can we get some desert or snow maps in the MAs?

or is there some rule behind it?
"scarecrw"
12+-
JG5 "Eismeer"
I'll see you in Valhalla!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: MA Maps
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 08:15:44 PM »
The original pizza map (AKDesert) was a great desert map. So it can be done. I'd send a note to HTC first to see if it would be ok be YOU start building it tho   :devil

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 06:53:14 AM »
The original pizza map (AKDesert) was a great desert map. So it can be done. I'd send a note to HTC first to see if it would be ok be YOU start building it tho   :devil

AKDesert was a great map. Question...why cant it be brought back? I know it would have to be reworked, but don't we have some of the older maps in the game still, like Mindano?
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 07:13:44 AM »
From what I've read all the source files to compile the map were lost. So instead of just editing the files to update them, they all have to be completely remade.

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 07:42:11 AM »
From what I've read all the source files to compile the map were lost. So instead of just editing the files to update them, they all have to be completely remade.

bummer :cry
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 07:55:26 AM »
The problem with doing a desert or snow MA map is that to make it look any good you would need to add your own ground textures. While there are beach and snow textures in the default terrain ETO and PTO sets, you'd really need a lot more variety than one snow or beach texture. MA map designers are allowed to add ground textures to MA terrains but these textures tend to make the resultant terrain file huge. HTC don't like massive MA terrains, probably because it takes players with low speed connections too long to download them and also bandwidth for them = money.

To look really good a desert or snow terrain would also need revised objects, i.e. snow covered trees and buildings or North African style mud buildings in the towns. However MA map creators are not allowed to change terrain objects in this way, since to do so could introduce bugs that could crash the server or players' FEs.

Offline scarecrw

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 03:04:42 PM »
Ah that makes sense Greebo. Thanks!
"scarecrw"
12+-
JG5 "Eismeer"
I'll see you in Valhalla!