Author Topic: Training Films for the P38 ??  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: Training Films for the P38 ??
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2013, 05:53:27 PM »
I am sure glad y'all talked me into staying with the P38.  It is a remarkable plane when you start getting the feel for what it can do.

Fugative, I practiced your advice today and it works

TwinBoom, Drano and Delirium,  I will work on the outside furball this week following y'all's advice.  Man I love a good furball but I need to be smarter about them

Had a good battle with Latrobe in his 109 this afternoon.  He eats my lunch normally and quick but I finally won one today and was quite proud to win one with such a fine stick.  I need to look at the film but I think he stalled it low while trying to follow a full flap yo-yo that was on the edge of the P38 falling like a rock.  I will not win probably the next 9 with him but now I have a bit of hope. :salute

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2013, 06:39:12 PM »
I'm looking forward to working with you, Randy.   :salute
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2013, 11:42:14 PM »
Couple more from tonight since it seems that some folks are at least enjoying them.

Was an off and on night in the MA, been spending some time in the SpitV trying to get ready for the scenario that starts this weekend

***shameless plug***
http://www.ahevents.org/component/content/article/88-previous-scenarios/932-mediterranean-maelstrom.html

Anyway the 'ol 38G felt like a brick after an evening in the little spitfire.  First flight starts out well enough but as is my SOP I quickly get in over my head. :)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?su2m42ur21t1zlk

This one I think is more interesting because of the things I did wrong more than what I did right, was very lucky to survive this flight.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bi40i6os2ytbl3i

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2013, 07:26:07 AM »
I'm looking forward to working with you, Randy.   :salute

I am looking forward to the training session Delirum.  I stalled the 38 twice last night at the top of a loop setting myself up for an easy kill.  I really need the help.  :aok

Soulyss, you are a terrific shot.  Do you zoom for most shots?

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2013, 08:34:07 PM »
I am looking forward to the training session Delirum.  I stalled the 38 twice last night at the top of a loop setting myself up for an easy kill.  I really need the help.  :aok

Soulyss, you are a terrific shot.  Do you zoom for most shots?

There's something I don't hear very often. :) 

I don't think of myself as a particularly good shot, missing shots gets me killed more often than not in the MA.  If you watch the films and check the box film viewer that says "Use recorded views" it will show when I'm using zoom and when I'm not. 

In general I don't use it very much I don't think when possible I prefer not to zoom in.  When I do use it is when I'm having trouble seeing my target.  My eyesight isn't very good especially viewing certain colors, more specifically greens tend to blend together and I have a real hard time making out distinct shapes.  You'll see that one of the times I use zoom is when I'm diving on the P-47 in the last film, when I'm looking down and it's a green P-47 against the green ground during dawn/dusk in the MA I was having a real hard time seeing him, making out the P-47 shape or seeing which way it was oriented compared to me.

One easy little "drill" that I like to do when I'm killing time in the TA is set up on the runway 25% or 50% fuel and perform a normal take off, as soon as the plane get's airborne I level and hug the ground, when I get down towards the end of the runway I pull and zoom straight up.  If you can keep the plane going straight up you can hold it there down to 0 airspeed, after that I drop off and dive I zoom back down the runway and do it on the other end.  I stay within the length of the runway,  I feel like it helps with my spatial orientation as well low speed handling because you have to make a lot of small adjustments as the speed bleeds off, if you don't have the nose going straight up, the plane will fall off before IAS get's down to 0.  You can also practice the stalls at the top, see if you can decide which way you're going to fall off then do it, practice over the top, nose/bunt over, rudder left, rudder right, etc.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2013, 07:22:56 AM »
Soulyss, i will give that practice a go this afternoon offline.  That should give me a good tuneup.  I recently changed my trackir setting and that threw off by vertical climbing perspective and orientation.  i got beat badly in vertical climbs last night because of that.

I will post how the practice goes.

Yes, I have the same slight color blindness.  Just enough to make it difficult to see someone near the ground.

Thanks for the help.

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »
Yes, I have the same slight color blindness.  Just enough to make it difficult to see someone near the ground.
Thanks for the help.

If you haven't done so, find other colors than the default red/green for the countries.  I personally use a deep blue for friendly and bright yellow for enemy, and it helps immensely with my red/green colorblindness.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 12:27:15 PM »
If you haven't done so, find other colors than the default red/green for the countries.  I personally use a deep blue for friendly and bright yellow for enemy, and it helps immensely with my red/green colorblindness.

I have added blue with the slider but have not tried changing the base color.  That is a good thought.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2013, 07:01:01 PM »
I experimented a lot with different icon colors over the years, I ended up settling on the default colors but inverted where friendlies are red and enemies are bright green.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2013, 07:03:07 PM »
I don't shoot till I'm 200 off usually...so color  don't matter ,i can tell you my opponents eye color  though in a fight.
 :aok
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2013, 11:02:01 AM »
Delirium, the trainer is very good in the 38. He did a session on the flying of the 38 a while back and it was filmed. I'll hunt around to see if I can find it.

Edit: found it!

Here is the site that has the text version http://www.fw190.org/P38Clinic.htm

Here is the film of the clinic http://www.fw190.org/p38_6.ahf

and here is the post on the boards about it http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,281921.msg3558853.html#msg3558853

I missed this post so thanks for the plug Fugitive  :aok
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2013, 08:46:57 PM »
Here's the A6M vs 38G fight I mentioned tonight while you were working with Del Randy. 

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?n0w2ldzv6htus3b
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2013, 09:46:41 PM »
Got it Souless.  Thanks again to you and Del.  Special thanks rto Del for the training session.  I have lots to work on.  You read and read and study, but having someone work one on one with you is a real eye opener.

Randy