Author Topic: Wireless network cards  (Read 458 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Wireless network cards
« on: March 02, 2013, 09:37:59 AM »
Is there one that is better than the others? What should I look for in a wireless card?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Wireless network cards
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 11:37:13 AM »
Is there one that is better than the others? What should I look for in a wireless card?

A socket for the ethernet cable  :lol

Wireless and games are a bad combination. But if you must, I would look for known brands like 3com, Belkin etc. I have had extremely bad experiences with D-Link.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 11:56:05 AM »
A socket for the ethernet cable  :lol

Wireless and games are a bad combination. But if you must, I would look for known brands like 3com, Belkin etc. I have had extremely bad experiences with D-Link.

3com no longer exist..

I could try this: http://www.linksys.com/en-eu/products/adapters/WMP600N
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 11:59:31 AM by mipoikel »
I am a spy!

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 12:27:38 PM »
A socket for the ethernet cable  :lol

It's not for gaming.

Thanks folks!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline edog1977

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 05:31:20 PM »
This is the card I use.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704133

I've been using it for about four months and haven't had any problems with it. Obviously a wired connection is preferred. 

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 01:35:16 AM »
It's kind of a crap shoot. The quality isn't always the best. I installed 2 into non-gaming computers. One was an obsolete build being readied for give-away to distant family member. Put the wireless card in the back (PCI slot) and didn't have many problems. The second box was more modern but still on the older end. Totally different hardware and about a generation and a half newer. However that was a lot harder. There was some stupid hardware incompatibility where the PCI slot used would dictate if the card functioned or not. And when "not" it would stop a lot of other things from working properly too! I managed to find a slot after a lot of effort uninstalling, reinstalling, reviewing online reviews (that's a redundant thing to say!) and so forth. It works now on that wireless card. The one I bought had the best reviews of its price range too. Most were downright abysmally bad. This one, the best of the lot, was 60/40 chance of working.

Basically unless you're willing to schill out tons of cash the lower end ones might or might not work.

Do all the research you can ahead of time and don't throw away any packing or receipts. Be prepared to RMA it if it just won't work.