Author Topic: Metal Skin  (Read 509 times)

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
Metal Skin
« on: March 15, 2013, 02:04:37 AM »
Gday All,

First of all let me say that I am just experimenting and trying to understand how the metal skin works, so after seeing Hornets B29, I decided to have a go myself, but despite Hornets help, I find myself with the following problem.

This is the image in the skin viewer

However this is it in game

Can anyone shed some light on why the two are different?

Thanks
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Metal Skin
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 02:28:26 AM »
Move "Full updates" from none to at least one notch to the left?

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 07:01:30 AM »
Hi Krusty,

Even with full update all the way to left, it makes no difference :(
Raw Prawns      

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 02:25:14 PM »
I thought that when full updates was "off" that turned off the reflective mapping. So I was guessing that was why you saw such a difference. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

EDIT: You know there are 2 materials files, right? One for non-bump, one for bump? Try the skin viewer and check the bump mapping box on and off and see if you get the same difference as you see in-game.

Offline HornetUK

• Skinner Team
  • Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 05:57:14 PM »
AHHH think i know what your problem is, The skin view saves all it setting in the default skin folder which you created by getting the game to save the dealft skin first place. if you have that folder say in this case when the game save the default folder it will be called b29 in your skins folder you will obviously have a folder you are working on called something like b29_1. the setting for the material.txt and bumbmat.txt will be in the b29 folder. Skuzzy has told me that it is a bug in the skin viewing application.

Secondly The materials only works for the shadowing which can use the mapping slider. But if you want the mapping slider to work with the bumpmat only you also have to have a bumpmat.txt file.

Hope this makes some sence
Hornet Paint Shop Skins: Now Ingame  B-29  B-24  B-17     Current Project

Member of the 97th Bomb Group

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 10:40:43 PM »
Hi Guys,
again thanks for the replies.

Krusty, by 2 material files you mean the bumpmat.txt and the material file yes?  Both of those files are identical.  With the bump mapping box unticked it is "slightly" more reflective, not much though.

Hornet, I believe that the skin viewer was updated to specificaly counter that problem, however I did take the material from the base folder and move it to the _1 folder but to no avail.

I have 8 files in the folder, B29, B291, B291_B, B291_B_a, B29_B_d, bumpmat, info and Material.

Tks.
Raw Prawns      

Offline HornetUK

• Skinner Team
  • Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 06:13:15 AM »
ah but did you move the material and bumpmat files from the b29 folder to the b29_1 folder, you need to do that?
Hornet Paint Shop Skins: Now Ingame  B-29  B-24  B-17     Current Project

Member of the 97th Bomb Group

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 05:43:45 PM »
ah but did you move the material and bumpmat files from the b29 folder to the b29_1 folder, you need to do that?

Bingo !.  I created another folder and copied the contents of _1 to _2, the copied the material and bumpmat files from the base folder to _2 and suddenly both work.

Thanks for your help !

Cheers
Raw Prawns