Author Topic: International Baccalaureate programs?  (Read 208 times)

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
International Baccalaureate programs?
« on: March 04, 2013, 10:03:18 AM »
What do you think of these programs? any personal experience?  Not for me of course. For daughter in another year and a half.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Re: International Baccalaureate programs?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 05:49:08 PM »
My son just went away to school.  Instead of IB he went to a school which is AP based.  Both are excellent though.

His brother and sister are in IB schools.

The best thing about them (AP and IB programs)  is that they are internationally recognised.  If your daughter is thinking about going to a university overseas it takes the guesswork about where they stand vs other candidates.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 07:36:42 PM »
Daughter has been in private school always and will go to the same for 9th grade next year. Our three options are:

- stay with the same private school that has a relatively new and very small high school
- go to a bigger and more expensive private high school
- local accredited, good ranked public school into AP or IB program

At least we have about 10 months from now to decide.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 09:08:55 PM »
IB is an excellent program. More than the program, what you get is an academic environment that is entirely and completely focused on academic achievement and college preparation.

It is not that IB is the 'secret sauce' it is the focus that comes with it. As an example, US News and World Report will publish an annual ranking of the top-100 public schools in America. For three of the last four years the top public school in America is Basis Charter High School in Phoenix, Arizona. Their entire curriculum pushes kids to prepare for, take and excel in AP courses. They do so well because it is the entire focus of the school.

If you had a chance for a rigorous, academically challenging environment (IB or AP) jump on it with two feet, fists, knees and elbows. It will benefit your daughter, her children, grandchildren, etc. Is will be one of the best decisions you could make over the next decade.

Just say'n!!
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 01:03:06 AM »
IB wasn't offered at my high school, but AP programs are pretty nice. I earned 12 college credits taking AP courses in high school.
I don't know about the mechanics of IB, but if AP courses aren't offered by a high school then that school is completely worthless
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 01:08:33 AM by Motherland »

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 03:31:20 AM »
IB wasn't offered at mine either.  I'll say that AP is broadly defined in practice.  If a particular AP class is at the college level you'll get what you expect.  If an AP class is AP in name only the credits are nice but the student can easily end up over their head when they get to college. 

My advice would be to use a local community college in liew of AP courses taught at a high school, unless they are taught by a really good teacher.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 04:56:58 AM »
Coursera.org

Lots of classes given by well known Schools from around the globe - all free!

:cheers: Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 06:29:51 AM »
I just found out that my son who is away at school has made the "Headmaster's Honour Roll".  It is the highest Academic award given to kids there.  Great school too, one of the top in Canada.

His goal (at 13 years old!) is to go to Harvard.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 06:46:29 AM »
I just found out that my son who is away at school has made the "Headmaster's Honour Roll".  It is the highest Academic award given to kids there.  Great school too, one of the top in Canada.

That's great news! Congratulations!

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 10:05:45 AM »

Chris, Let me know when he gets to that point.  We should be able to help him out.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 01:08:51 PM »
Chris, Let me know when he gets to that point.  We should be able to help him out.

Really? :O

That would be fantastic, thanks.