Author Topic: Microsoft Precision 2 Sidewinder with Windows 7  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Microsoft Precision 2 Sidewinder with Windows 7
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 12:42:44 AM »
Indeed. Mine was first-gen also, with the spinning dome for a throttle.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 05:06:41 AM »
It's not faulty, and they're not pots. I've opened it up on many an occasion. The sensor was always clean (no grease).

It's just never been CH quality. I have a CH stick now. When I put this somewhere, it stays there on the axis. Almost no spiking whatsoever.

The Sidewinder also had a bit of a deadspot.. not so much dead as a slightly wobbly center where inputs weren't as precise (most likely due to the free-floating head design with the LEDs on it that hovered over the sensor). I had to scale it for best effect.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it was a BAD stick. Far from it. I enjoyed it for the most part. It did, however, have some annoying habits. Minor, but present nonetheless. They existed ever since I bought it, and when I bought it the condition was unopened mint in box.

For what it's worth.

Got a CH throttle other month and it was spiking, was talking to pipz about it :old:

Opened it up and sorry to say bloke who put it together was thinking about the next episode of "Falcon Crest".

The three connectors could be pushed off with your little finger,potentiometer was nice but lugs needed opening out to make it sit tight in the plastic housing and the three wires were hanging loose in front of the slides. :cry

20 minutes later it was how it was sorted :)

CH stuff is good but be warned you need a screw driver,pliers and a spot of glue to make sure :)

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 05:47:09 AM »
It's not faulty, and they're not pots. I've opened it up on many an occasion. The sensor was always clean (no grease).

It's just never been CH quality. I have a CH stick now. When I put this somewhere, it stays there on the axis. Almost no spiking whatsoever.

The Sidewinder also had a bit of a deadspot.. not so much dead as a slightly wobbly center where inputs weren't as precise (most likely due to the free-floating head design with the LEDs on it that hovered over the sensor). I had to scale it for best effect.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it was a BAD stick. Far from it. I enjoyed it for the most part. It did, however, have some annoying habits. Minor, but present nonetheless. They existed ever since I bought it, and when I bought it the condition was unopened mint in box.

For what it's worth.

Yes also my stick has the slight wobblyness but movement wise my stick has always been extremely high precision. I have never had any non-linear movement from it except the time that the wire got detached inside :)

I actually even returned my first Precision Pro to the shop after it got that slight slack when my wife played with the stick and used a huge amount of force. True story :)

Later on I've thought I should have just kept the stick and buy another to have a second one in stock, it's been that good.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 05:49:15 AM »
Not true.  I had an original Sidewinder Precision Pro (first iteration of the Sidewinder sticks) that I used for about 12 years.  I had to switch when I built my new machine as these sticks weren't able to use USB adapters.  There was one guy who made adapters using circuit boards but he'd wait until he had enough orders to order the boards and as demand dropped that was the end of that.

Anyway, after 12 years, while the stick still worked, the handle was loose and it would jitter and spike continuously.  When I finally did switch to a cheapie Saitek I was amazed at how much steadier it was.

That said it was sad to see MS get out of that business because they made hands down the best product in the marketplace.

If it jittered and spiked your stick was suffering from the same problem like mine - the tiny cable in the optical sensor was breaking loose from the soldering. It started as random jitter untill it just lost two axis completely.

By the way: There were different models of sidewinders. Mine came with a USB adapter out of the box.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 07:59:06 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 08:16:23 PM »
There were well more than 2 models of it.

And you seem more than keep to imply ours were broken... So, I shall repeat, mine was new from the box and wasn't in the process of breaking down. For what it gave me, it was totally reliable. I knew I could always get a certain amount of response from it. I just wanted a higher level of response, eventually. It wasn't in the process of losing an axis or two. All the solder points were good and clean. I opened it up many times. I studied it carefully because I was going to modify it after many years of faithful service. It was in perfect condition.

In fact, I've almost never heard that Sidewinders had a stellar reputation for perfect accuracy. You're the only one I've ever heard make that claim. I *have* heard, over the many years and many forums, that they are decent but not great, and they will never wear down unless you physically break the plastic. That matches my own observations, as I've spelled out in the previous post.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013, 12:14:40 AM »
Go here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Sidewinder then scroll down slightly to the model chart.

Mine was the Microsoft SideWinder 3D Pro, the very first model MS built.  You'll notice there was no USB option.  If you click on the link to the JS itself there's a picture of it and an accurate description.

I also had a Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback Wheel USB which just died within the past year.  It would no longer power up and wasn't recognized in Windows despite the DC adapter testing good.

Both were great game controllers.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 12:19:06 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 12:46:57 AM »
There were well more than 2 models of it.

And you seem more than keep to imply ours were broken... So, I shall repeat, mine was new from the box and wasn't in the process of breaking down. For what it gave me, it was totally reliable. I knew I could always get a certain amount of response from it. I just wanted a higher level of response, eventually. It wasn't in the process of losing an axis or two. All the solder points were good and clean. I opened it up many times. I studied it carefully because I was going to modify it after many years of faithful service. It was in perfect condition.

In fact, I've almost never heard that Sidewinders had a stellar reputation for perfect accuracy. You're the only one I've ever heard make that claim. I *have* heard, over the many years and many forums, that they are decent but not great, and they will never wear down unless you physically break the plastic. That matches my own observations, as I've spelled out in the previous post.

Ok then your sidewinder had a manufacturing fault. Because I've used mine for over a decade and I've never seen anything that would indicate the slightest amount of jitter or spiking. I've never had to use any damping or deadzone with it for example. When I move the stick in calibration setup the feedback is 100% linear and even on the micro level which you can see by the raw output, there's no spiking at all. It follows smoothly any movement I make.

So either I have a very special model of the Sidewinder or you have had a monday sample.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2013, 12:47:55 AM »
Go here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Sidewinder then scroll down slightly to the model chart.

Mine was the Microsoft SideWinder 3D Pro, the very first model MS built.  You'll notice there was no USB option.  If you click on the link to the JS itself there's a picture of it and an accurate description.

I also had a Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback Wheel USB which just died within the past year.  It would no longer power up and wasn't recognized in Windows despite the DC adapter testing good.

Both were great game controllers.

I have the Sidewinder Precision Pro I. 3D Pro and Force Feedback were completely different constructions. Even Wikipedia states that the USB model Precision Pro is the best of the MS sticks, requiring no calibration and has a virtually unlimited lifetime. Precision Pro 2 already had potentiometers and fails just like most other sticks in a couple of years.

The Precision Pro was reported to have a rare problem of static buildup in the stick. Perhaps this is what caused the problems Krusty was experiencing. I personally have never had any problems with the stick outside the cable detaching from the sensor and the hat switch getting dirty.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 12:57:27 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2013, 10:43:02 AM »
This stick crushes the FPS on my system.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."