Author Topic: request for additional track IR support in the nature of head movement.  (Read 346 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
I am hooked on track IR as I feel it has greatly increased the immersion factor exponentially for me.

the one thing I have noticed though is in Aces High my head movements do not mimic how I would look around a cockpit in real life in that my point of view rotates in one spot and does not pivot around like a moon orbitting a planet as my eyeballs would do when I turn my head.

this is especially evident when looking to the rear. in real life when I turn my head to look behind my point of view moves a good ways in the direction I turn to look.

because of the nature of track IR and looking at the screen I believe the game would increase realism if it could mimic point of view that moves in a circumference some distance from the center of the pilots head.

Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: request for additional track IR support in the nature of head movement.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 06:29:08 AM »
I can't quite grasp the wish you described.

The FOV setting can dramatically effect the TrackIr view.   I run mine below the default setting.  88 seems to work best for me in the P38.  When you adjust the FOV, also work on your head position.  If you haven't experimented with this, give it a try.   Try adjusting the "Speed" as well.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 03:25:18 AM »
while sitting in your chair turn and look behind you and is your point of view centered and looking behind you from the center of your chair? meaning your eyeballs are looking from a point directly in the center of your chair or is your point of view moved to a distance half a foot or so to the side of the chair so if you look directly down while looking back you see the corner of the backrest of the chair and not the center?
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 03:29:17 AM »
I'm pretty sure the software (TrackIR) is capable of doing this for you. Are you saying AH limits the software to where the curves will no longer have that capability?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 08:12:59 AM »
I think you should be able to modify your head roll curve to reproduce this.

Actually with my set up I do not get a pure 6 view (usually centered on 5.30 or 6.30 depending upon rotation)unless I lean to one side slightly.... in fact by leaning I can take the view past the 6 point although holding it stable becomes difficult.
Ludere Vincere

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 08:32:20 AM »
With all six DOF set up in the TIR software, I feel like the head movement in AH, as well as other games that support it, is pretty true to how I turn my head while sitting at my desk or driving my car. It looks and feels natural.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 11:16:20 AM »
I dont use the axis that zooms in and out cause I find that to disorientating. If I have to zoom I just use a button to do that.

But I always thought TrackIR in this game was very good.

TrackIR is like the baby out of wedlock. You didnt want it at the time but eventually you couldnt imagine being without.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 11:51:46 AM »
Basically what you're saying is you want the head to have 'depth', where your POV is set a couple or 3 inches in front of the pivot point for the TrackIR, so when you turn your head it's more like how your POV moves when you turn your head on your neck because your eyes are not centered over your spine.

As it is now, it's like your POV is on a tripod swivel with the swivel point exactly where the lens is.

I get what you're saying, and it would probably be a vast improvement to VR/Oculus Rift setups.  I'd be in favor of it.  Not sure it would add much for monitor setups though, as that view is already pretty unnatural.  I could see it possibly making a difference looking around canopy bars.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 03:54:37 PM »
if you actually used the regular clip that TIR comes with on the brim of a baseball cap, would it not work as wished?

the reflectors (eyes) would be "in front" of the pivot point (yo head) then..

only thing, the passive clip doesn't work as good as the active one that goes on side of headset.

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.