Author Topic: Beautiful Sisters  (Read 4926 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Beautiful Sisters
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2013, 03:41:54 PM »

"The film was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture. Of historical interest is that a portion of the filming took place aboard the battleship Arizona, which was sunk by the Japanese on December 7, 1941, at Pearl Harbor. Further, portions of the film also include shots of the dirigible Macon, a year before the accident that destroyed the dirigible with the loss of two crew."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_Comes_the_Navy

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/135414/Here-Comes-The-Navy-Original-Trailer-.html

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2013, 05:01:18 PM »
That movie was released 79-years ago! Likely made 80-81-years ago. My how time flies.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Blinder

• Nickel Member
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2013, 05:22:24 PM »
The bottom poster shows the Arizona (or Pennsylvania, its hard to tell) leading the Nevada sisters. Nice. If I recall, this movie also featured life aboard the big tripod masted dreadnoughts.

But I think they did a tad more dancing in the movie then they did in real life aboard those battleships. But then again ...they are Navy.  :D

Fighter pilots win glory .... Bomber pilots win wars.

17th Guards Air Assault Regiment (VVS) "Badenov's Red Raiders"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2013, 06:00:22 PM »
This movie featured life aboard a PT boat:

I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2013, 05:19:05 AM »
Wrong Saratoga. The subject of this thread is currently at the bottom of  Bikini Atoll.

(Image removed from quote.)

Ironically considering the contents of this thread, she rests not far from the Prinz Eugen. Prinz Eugen survived the war and was taken as a prize by the USN and used as a dummy ship at Bikini Atoll, just like Saratoga. However she survived the nuclear explosions and was towed to nearby Kwajalein Atoll, where she some time later capsized and sank.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2013, 07:30:54 AM »
Saratoga survived the explosion, too. They had to scuttle her afterwards.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2013, 07:53:51 AM »
Funny how two warships starting out so far apart can share the same fate.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2013, 08:24:47 AM »
Anybody know off hand how Nagato handled the explosion?  She's another one I wish we'd preserved.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2013, 09:22:18 AM »
Anybody know off hand how Nagato handled the explosion?  She's another one I wish we'd preserved.

~~~~~~

The ship was selected to participate as a target ship in Operation Crossroads, a series of nuclear weapon tests held at Bikini Atoll in mid-1946. In mid-March, Nagato departed Yokosuka for Eniwetok under the command of Captain W. J. Whipple with an American crew of about 180 men supplementing her Japanese crew.[49] The ship was only capable of a speed of 10 knots (19 km/h; 12 mph) from her two operating propeller shafts. Her hull had not been repaired from the underwater damage sustained during the attack on 18 July and she leaked enough that her pumps could not keep up. Her consort, the light cruiser Sakawa broke down on 28 March and Nagato attempted to take her in tow, but one of her boilers malfunctioned and the ship ran out of fuel in bad weather. The ship had a list of seven degrees to port by the time tugboats from Eniwetok arrived on 30 March. Towed at a speed of 1 knot (1.9 km/h; 1.2 mph), the ship reached Eniwetok on 4 April where she received temporary repairs. On her trip to Bikini in May, Nagato reached 13 knots (24 km/h; 15 mph).[7]

Operation Crossroads began with the first blast (Test Able), an air burst on 1 July 1946; she was 1,500 meters (1,640 yd) from ground zero and was only lightly damaged. A skeleton crew boarded Nagato to assess the damage and prepare her for the next test on 25 July. As a test, they operated one of her boilers for 36 hours without any problems. For Test Baker, an underwater explosion, the ship was positioned 870 meters (950 yd) from ground zero. Nagato rode out the tsunami of water from the explosion with little apparent damage; she had a slight starboard list of two degrees after the tsunami dissipated. A more thorough assessment could not be made because she was dangerously radioactive. Her list gradually increased over the next five days and she capsized during the night of 29/30 July.[47]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_battleship_Nagato

~~~~~~

Offline Blinder

• Nickel Member
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2013, 09:03:01 PM »
They would have been just as beautiful had they been completed as battlecruisers.

http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/cb/cc-1/700-ihp-mq/Building_the_lexington.htm

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2013, 08:19:40 AM »
Sleek and fast!

Offline Blinder

• Nickel Member
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2013, 08:33:47 PM »
Here is a link to great wreck diving photos of Saratoga and Prinz Eugen.

http://jankocian.smugmug.com/Underwater/Wrecks/2873172_PJPjkX/154070339_nTcKRRd#!i=154070339&k=nTcKRRd

Offline Ninthmessiah

• Copper Member
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
This thread makes me want to go visit the Lex.  It's about 8 minutes from my house.  Maybe for thanksgiving.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2013, 02:23:46 PM »
This thread makes me want to go visit the Lex.  It's about 8 minutes from my house.  Maybe for thanksgiving.

You're not in Lubbock, then.  :D