Author Topic: Acer Predator  (Read 472 times)

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
Acer Predator
« on: November 06, 2013, 11:00:15 AM »
Thoughts on this rig.  A friend sent me this link and asked my opion. He wants to get it to play BF4.  Any suggestions or thoughts on what I should tell him.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Predator-AG3620-UR14-Gaming-Desktop-PC-Core-i7-12GB-2TB-16GB-SSD-HD8760-/200960970163?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item2eca350db3
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Acer Predator
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 12:02:38 PM »
It's a basic gaming rig. Lots of RAM, because it's cheap but makes a computer look better than it might actually be. The vidcard starts the upmost third of the HD8000 series, nothing fancy but capable for many games. Nothing has been said about the components used to build the rig, except the picture shows the PSU being made by FSP who years ago were known to have very few warranty issues (they have had their share of issues after that, but so have many others). I couldn't quite see the brand of the motherboard, it could read Acer Inc. there but I'm not sure. Anyway, it's a micro-ATX which usually is somewhat cheaper than a full size one. Many of the capacitors were of the dry type which sometimes equal longevity.

It's highly possible that a longer lasting PC can be built by choosing similarly specced components made by other manufacturers. You've familiar with PC-partpicker, so why not try their builder machine to test the Acer pricing? For a self-built rig I might reduce the amount of RAM by 4 gigs and use the money saved for a little better GPU. Same for the card reader unless the user is a photographer. The 16 GB SSD sounds rather ridiculous to me and leads to think the 2 TB disk might be a cheap "green" hdd, using less energy by being s-l-o-w. Windows8 32 bit requires 16 Gb of hard disk space, the 64 bit version doubles that, so what is the SSD really there for if not only for fooling people?  :furious

[Edit] In case you did not get my point, here it is: Don't. [/Edit]
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 12:15:44 PM »
Ok i will tell him to save his money and build a rig
LtCondor
          The Damned

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 12:43:53 PM »
I did the homework for you: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1YjbF is basically similar than the Acer, for $40 more and without the card reader. Even with a WiFi, which can be left out if unnecessary. A quick search told that the HD 8000 series is basically a renamed HD 7000 series, so the video card suggestion is a little better than what Acer offered. If someone is interested enough and knows better, I'd like to hear comments about my suggestion. I ask you to remember, though, that this was based on the Predator to show how much similar components would make.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 01:14:05 PM »
the radeon 8760 is a rebadged 7770, a 7790 would be marginally better.

the b75 chipset is not as good as the z77 chipset but it is cheap and stable which, for the business environment is desired. no overclocking capacity. the fact that the mobo is acer oem...meh.

the acer oem power supply is most likely one of the bottom end models that fsp isn't known for putting much quality into.

the system Bizman parted out, would be a better choice by a narrow margin.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 01:42:13 PM »
What kinda card would you recommend if he says he has 200 budget for a card
LtCondor
          The Damned

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 01:58:43 PM »
What kinda card would you recommend if he says he has 200 budget for a card
you keep going around that circle, why?

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,355743.0.html

there have been a many repeated answers to your many repeated questions and honestly, i have to wonder if you teach philosophy or some other mundane subject that deals with asking the same questions repeatedly expecting different answers.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 02:07:13 PM »
you keep going around that circle, why?

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,355743.0.html

there have been a many repeated answers to your many repeated questions and honestly, i have to wonder if you teach philosophy or some other mundane subject that deals with asking the same questions repeatedly expecting different answers.

Sorry I forgot about that  post. :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray

That was really stupid
LtCondor
          The Damned

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 05:56:02 AM »
It's a basic gaming rig. Lots of RAM, because it's cheap but makes a computer look better than it might actually be. The vidcard starts the upmost third of the HD8000 series, nothing fancy but capable for many games. Nothing has been said about the components used to build the rig, except the picture shows the PSU being made by FSP who years ago were known to have very few warranty issues (they have had their share of issues after that, but so have many others). I couldn't quite see the brand of the motherboard, it could read Acer Inc. there but I'm not sure. Anyway, it's a micro-ATX which usually is somewhat cheaper than a full size one. Many of the capacitors were of the dry type which sometimes equal longevity.

It's highly possible that a longer lasting PC can be built by choosing similarly specced components made by other manufacturers. You've familiar with PC-partpicker, so why not try their builder machine to test the Acer pricing? For a self-built rig I might reduce the amount of RAM by 4 gigs and use the money saved for a little better GPU. Same for the card reader unless the user is a photographer. The 16 GB SSD sounds rather ridiculous to me and leads to think the 2 TB disk might be a cheap "green" hdd, using less energy by being s-l-o-w. Windows8 32 bit requires 16 Gb of hard disk space, the 64 bit version doubles that, so what is the SSD really there for if not only for fooling people?  :furious

[Edit] In case you did not get my point, here it is: Don't. [/Edit]

It may be configured as disk cache (the SSD) if not, then it's nonsense.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 09:28:55 AM »
It may be configured as disk cache (the SSD) if not, then it's nonsense.

Yep, it is commonly used as cache in many systems, especially in laptops . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwb3ibxw4xU

How it works: http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/How-it-Works-Intel-SSD-Caching-148/
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 09:33:44 AM by mipoikel »
I am a spy!