Author Topic: The Noel Russell  (Read 602 times)

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
The Noel Russell
« on: October 05, 2013, 09:37:16 PM »
F/L Noel Russell DFC of 235 Squadron shot down two Bf 109s (G14s apparently, though it's not my area of strength, so I can't cross-check effectively) during a single daylight action by Mosquitos of RAF Coastal Command against JG 5 off Norway.

There is also a report that  F/O K.V. Panter of the Fighter Experimental Flight shot down three 109s during a Ranger sortie to Landau airfield, but I've not been able to confirm this - I've encountered on a number of occasions claims for Bf 109s in daylight which later turned out to be training aircraft.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Re: The Noel Russell
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 05:55:21 PM »
There is also a report that  F/O K.V. Panter of the Fighter Experimental Flight shot down three 109s during a Ranger sortie to Landau airfield, but I've not been able to confirm this - I've encountered on a number of occasions claims for Bf 109s in daylight which later turned out to be training aircraft.

A Ranger sortie you say? Do tell. :)
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
Re: The Noel Russell
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 07:13:39 PM »
LOL!

He was all camo'ed up with dark green and black face paint, and had a dagger between his teeth.

IIRC he used a lariat to bring down the 109s.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB