Author Topic: UCOAD  (Read 415 times)

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
UCOAD
« on: January 18, 2014, 09:57:10 AM »
Was sent this today, thought it very interesting for anyone considering the field.....

http://interact.stltoday.com/pr/business/PR123013062015461

Never realized the gap between the jobs and the lack of applicants.
Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
Re: UCOAD
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 04:39:11 PM »
Interesting article. Up here in Canada we have similar challenges, especially in the local area where I am. Interesting statement in the article lead me here: "https://www.edx.org/" that I'm going to follow up on.

Cheers & thx
asw
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 05:45:16 PM »
Great post, thanks!

boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 07:27:23 AM »
I'm actually in the process of going back to school for computer programing. My big concern right now is finding a job once I'm done with school. I've browsed some job searching sites and they all want experience of a couple years at a minimum. 

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 12:10:09 PM »
Was sent this today, thought it very interesting for anyone considering the field.....

http://interact.stltoday.com/pr/business/PR123013062015461

Never realized the gap between the jobs and the lack of applicants.

Its kinda of a misnomer... ie... The shortage does exists but to some extent, it is also artificial. The three trends I have seen
1) The companies want cheaper labor, so they work with 'contracting firms' which bring people from other countries on L-1 visas (not h-1s).
2) There is rampant ageism in the industry... if your 22 its a walk in the park, but the scene changes once in your 30+.
3) Companies want people with exact experience for the role they are trying to fill, so no on-the-job learning... the result, more often than not, people get pidgin holed, and breaking out can be hard.

Also, the many companies complaining about a shortage are the same companies which got charged last year for price-fixing their labor costs..

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_22962030/apple-google-intel-likely-conspired-not-poach-workers
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 12:14:44 PM by Ardy123 »
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 03:26:58 PM »
Its kinda of a misnomer... ie... The shortage does exists but to some extent, it is also artificial. The three trends I have seen
1) The companies want cheaper labor, so they work with 'contracting firms' which bring people from other countries on L-1 visas (not h-1s).
2) There is rampant ageism in the industry... if your 22 its a walk in the park, but the scene changes once in your 30+.
3) Companies want people with exact experience for the role they are trying to fill, so no on-the-job learning... the result, more often than not, people get pidgin holed, and breaking out can be hard.

Also, the many companies complaining about a shortage are the same companies which got charged last year for price-fixing their labor costs..

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_22962030/apple-google-intel-likely-conspired-not-poach-workers

so you're saying I'm making a mistake trying to do a career change into programming at 31?

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 05:30:40 PM »
so you're saying I'm making a mistake trying to do a career change into programming at 31?
No, you are not, but when selecting an employer, look for red flags if you want career growth...

Also, don't buy into the hype.. Yes its a good job but the 'shortage' is partially artificial, that's all.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 07:31:05 PM »
No, you are not, but when selecting an employer, look for red flags if you want career growth...

Also, don't buy into the hype.. Yes its a good job but the 'shortage' is partially artificial, that's all.
eded

I'm not buying into the hype. I am legitimately concerned about the career change as all the job ads want previous experience and the pay is really not that great for the demands. I quit a job making $65k a year to go to school full time to get my degree in computer programming. I just really hope I made the right choice. My previous job paid okay but it was a dead end job (worked for 9.5 years and left in the same spot I started) with no retirement benefits. My previous job was also very specialized and if I got injured on the job I wouldn't have anything to fall back on. I just really hope my age and lack of experience doesn't keep me out of the programming field.  :uhoh

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 09:07:31 AM »
I'm not buying into the hype. I am legitimately concerned about the career change as all the job ads want previous experience and the pay is really not that great for the demands. I quit a job making $65k a year to go to school full time to get my degree in computer programming. I just really hope I made the right choice. My previous job paid okay but it was a dead end job (worked for 9.5 years and left in the same spot I started) with no retirement benefits. My previous job was also very specialized and if I got injured on the job I wouldn't have anything to fall back on. I just really hope my age and lack of experience doesn't keep me out of the programming field.  :uhoh
I've changed careers three times in my life just following my nose and pursuing things that interested me (four if you count the casual gig I talked my way into just to see what cooking in a professional kitchen was like). One thing that stands out is that getting interviews can be difficult but getting jobs from the interviews wasn't. One of the keys things to keep in mind is that good companies are looking for good people not just suits carrying certificates or laundry lists of professional experience. The certifications and experience play a large part in the selection process at the "who do we interview" stage but personality and a willingness to learn coupled with integrity, good-will and the ability to think carry a bunch of weight in the hiring stage. If I was hiring (which I'm not at this point), the fact that you've gone back to school tells me three things right off the bat: 1 - you're willing to learn; 2 - you're thinking ahead; and, 3 - you're following through on your decisions. Those are extremely valuable traits and can be hard for employers to find in the stream of empty suits walking through the hiring process hoping the snag an income. Who you are is who you are. What you know can be improved or increased. Who you are is what good organizations are looking for.
Your concern is warranted but determination counts in a big way. No matter where you are in the process of getting your degree, start contacting the HR departments of companies you'd like to work for. Tell them what you're doing and what you want to do. They are looking for people like you. Chances are if you keep up with that by the time you graduate you'll have the contacts you need to get employment.
OK,  getting off the soap-box now.
Good Luck & best wishes
asw
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 10:57:38 AM »

I can tell you that it's very difficult for me to keep my talented people here because of the demand for skills.  There is a huge demand for skilled IT personnel in South Florida.

For me, when hiring age doesn't play a part in anything.  Experience, experiences, aptitude, and personality are the keys.  The only thing that an older person may require is more money than we're willing to pay for a specific position, but that's the same in any field.  If they're a good fit, the age doesn't matter.

I believe the other two MIS Managers here probably feel the same as me when they hire for their staff.

I don't think you're making a mistake, especially by becoming diversified after working at a specialized task and possibily limiting yourself.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."