Author Topic: SSD  (Read 202 times)

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
SSD
« on: March 28, 2014, 06:28:15 PM »
I have heard some folks say that adding SSD for an OS is better. Is the SSS recognized automatically for running other programs or even just the OS?
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
Re: SSD
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 07:14:32 PM »
A lot of people use SSD's as boot drives with nothing but the operation system and necessary files on it.
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 09:03:22 PM »
On my desktop I use my ssd (128GB) for operating system and several programs I wish to load quickly such as photoshop and lightroom. I use my remaining drives (1 500gb hdd, 2 WD Black 1TB drives, and 1 crucial 64BG SSD for linux) for pictures and other files.  On my laptop I use my ssd (500GB) for operating system and everything else. Both are Samsung 840Pro ssds and I love them.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 03:07:23 AM »
I have a 750gb SSD in my new macbook pro and I can tell you that it's a night and day difference when I compare it to the old one. Files, apps, bootup everything happens so much faster. The old macbook with a 1Tb hybrid drive took about a minute to boot up, the new one boots in less than 10 seconds.

If you're going to get a decent size ssd that has space for games also (512gb) you'll enjoy much shorter load times on OS and games. It won't give you more fps, that's coming from different parts (cpu, gpu, ram).
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 03:30:01 AM »
As MrRipley said, an SSD won't give you more fps. Compare your daily schedule with the amount of things you'd start on your computer, be it booting the entire rig or just starting a program. If you think you'd lose valuable gaming time in those starts, go for an SSD. I'm an old fashioned person myself, so for me a couple of minutes at boot or 15 seconds during starting up a program don't mean a thing. In fact, after changing the start tune (title0) in AH I sometimes let it play through before logging in. A good five minutes, that is! Fact is that I may sit and stare at the screen without doing anything for quite a while, well, maybe thinking about what to type, how to form a sentence that would be easy to understand. Those moments take much more time daily than all of the boots and starts combined! Your productivity level may be at a much higher level than mine, thus I can't give you any one and only true advice, only some food for thought based on personal experience.

Typing this took way longer than booting my rig...

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni