Author Topic: F4U question.  (Read 839 times)

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
F4U question.
« on: April 23, 2014, 08:39:39 PM »
It seems a lot of people think the F4U is one of the most tough planes in the WW2, some even say more than the p47 as seen in this thread: http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/p-47n-thunderbolt-vs-f4u-4-corsair-superior-738-3.html

However my corsair feels like it likes to loose the tail and outer wing sections rather easy, and the 47 is no doubt tougher in game IMO. Thoughts  :headscratch:
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: F4U question.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 08:41:01 PM »
Loses them how?

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 09:23:28 PM »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 09:25:33 PM »
bullets.

.30s, .50s, cannons? Snapshots, 3 second bursts with the enemy saddled?

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 09:31:05 PM »
.30s, .50s, cannons? Snapshots, 3 second bursts with the enemy saddled?
Just in general, it seems much weaker than many make it out to be

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 09:35:37 PM »
Just in general, it seems much weaker than many make it out to be

Well. It's not impervious. I (and other dedicated AH Corsair pile-its) have had my tail blown right off ... wing knocked off .... etc - just like you. But long range pinging, snapshots that don't involve cannons (for the most part) ... even the occasional collision have all also left me with a somewhat intact crate. My demon is the pilot wound. Like any fighter in AH, it's just best to not get shot at all.  :) :cheers:

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 09:55:26 PM »
Well. It's not impervious. I (and other dedicated AH Corsair pile-its) have had my tail blown right off ... wing knocked off .... etc - just like you. But long range pinging, snapshots that don't involve cannons (for the most part) ... even the occasional collision have all also left me with a somewhat intact crate. My demon is the pilot wound. Like any fighter in AH, it's just best to not get shot at all.  :) :cheers:
Well yes, but my main issue with the thing compared to say like a P47 is auto ack, it seems to always kill the engine or blow the tail off. I find it a bit silly how the big mighty radial engine that is known for chugging on even with the master cylinder out can get a oil hit by a 303 and die shortly after  :headscratch:

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 10:06:23 PM »
Well yes, but my main issue with the thing compared to say like a P47 is auto ack, it seems to always kill the engine or blow the tail off. I find it a bit silly how the big mighty radial engine that is known for chugging on even with the master cylinder out can get a oil hit by a 303 and die shortly after  :headscratch:

Hm, I haven't really suffered much of that. I'll hafta be more reckless (I've always had periods of such) and see if my luck's turned. It was just last month I flew 15 minutes back to base with an oil hit without the engine seizing.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 10:18:47 PM »
I've noticed the Corsair tends to lose, in order of preference:

1) Engine. For some reason, no matter WHERE the shots are fired from, there's about a 70-80% chance the round will get inhaled by the engine, and you'll have an oil leak after the first ping.
2) Main fuel. Whatever doesn't get vacuumed up by the engine will hit the fuel tank.
3) Outer wing panels. Actually somewhat understandable since the outer wing is significantly fabric-covered.
4) Aft fuselage. Again, as I understand it the construction of the Corsair makes this understandable, in that the fuselage was built as two separate components rather than one unified structure.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 10:46:43 PM »
Well look at where the shots have to go.

Front fuselage: most of it is engine or fuel

Wings: most of it is outer wing, and as Saxman pointed out, fabric covered.

Tail: self explanatory

Its that, or rounds are landing all over your cockpit or inner wing, which is equally awful.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 12:17:52 AM »

The SBD was the safest plane , operationally, followed in order by the F6F and TBF.

F6F operational loss rates were far lower than those for the FM and F4U. The SB2C ranked a poor last operationally.

The F6F was slightly superior to the F4U in combat, apparently chiefly because of its greater ability to survive damage.

The F6F appears to have shot down 15.5 single-engine Jap fighters for each F6F destroyed in combat with them. Against the Zeke the F6F ratio was over 13-to-1; against Oscar over 15-to-1; against Tojo (probably including a large proportion of misidentifications) over 31-to-1. Against the most advanced types the F6F did less well: 8.5 - 1 against the Frank, Jack and George combined.

The F4U nearly matched the F6F performance during this period, with a 15-to-1 ratio against single-engine fighters, and 12-to-1 against Zeke. The F4U, however, included a relatively large number of obsolete Nates among its kills, and while its record against Oscar and Tony was superior to the F6F's, the F4U scored only 13-to-1 against the Tojo and only 6-to-1 against the Frank, Jack and George combined.

Regarding losses from combat damage, The F6F appears to have had considerable advantage over the F4U when flown under the same conditions. Receiving about the same number of hits per sortie in comparable operations, the F6F had a far lower rate of loss per plane hit.

So.... The USAAF considered the F4U to be more rugged than the P-47. However, Navy statistics show that the F6F was notably more likely to survive damage that would otherwise knock down the F4U. One must conclude that the most survivable American fighter was the F6F.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:21:26 AM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 12:25:26 AM »
Can we please keep the F4u threads about F4us, this is the third F4u thread I've read were there's posts about the F6F.

Its like having a Thread about spitfires and the luftweinys start rambling on about the 109.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:28:10 AM by glzsqd »
See Rule #4

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 12:43:04 AM »
Can we please keep the F4u threads about F4us,

No.

Skip those posts if they annoy you. The question was to the durability of the F4U. I added relevance to other types.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 06:52:38 AM »
Can we please keep the F4u threads about F4us, this is the third F4u thread I've read were there's posts about the F6F.

Its like having a Thread about spitfires and the luftweinys start rambling on about the 109.

Relax, you. It was in a comparative context (as were the other threads, iirc).  :lol

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 10:01:14 AM »
I used to fly the F4Us a lot, and in my most recent reincarnation I flew the -1 almost exclusively.  Most of the damage that I received (especially from ack) is the loss of an aileron or the rudder, followed by main fuel.  And it almost never failed I would lose a gun, too.  It's a tough bird, but it's not invincible. 
Tours 86 - 296