Author Topic: new land and sea mode gunnery?  (Read 963 times)

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
new land and sea mode gunnery?
« on: April 27, 2014, 04:55:36 PM »
getting back into game and have angered many already and cannot find a step by step explanation on how this works for ship and shore guns. was told press ctrl and q .well duh that tells me nothing. the help page has nothing on it ,the fact that its almost totally dedicated to flying leaves out many other aspects of this game when it comes to tanks gunnery etc.
 well us newbies need help and if anybody wishes  to provide an explanation in a step by step format on how to enter sea mode and land mode ,how to use it to target objects in sea mode and land mode.i for 1 will be greatly appreciative and i thank you now!!

as for hightec i believe its long overdue for an upgrade on your help topics page to identify each aspect of this game with separate links for planes, tanks, ships,guns and any other topics needed to quicken the search efforts of your users. the current page has not changed since i last played in 2009
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
Re: new land and sea mode gunnery?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 05:43:14 PM »
There is no ctrl, just q and w.  Either use the yellow sight that comes up to aim by hand, or if you're shelling a town or base you can click on the map to aim from outside visual range.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 06:17:55 PM »
was hoping for a bit more info then this hitting q alone does nothing

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 06:34:06 PM »
Q is direct mode. Slew your aim with the joystick and fire.
Shift-Q is land mode. Left-click on the clipboard map to set your target, fine tune with joystick and fire. The gun will automatically track that area based on a normal ship speed.
Ctrl-Q is sea mode. Slew you aim with joystick to your target and fire. The gun will automatically track the area based on a normal ship speed.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 10:09:06 PM »
In sea mode.  The base of the yellow reticle aligned with the water line of the ship you are targeting gets you on range.  You still have to figure lead and adjust for targets getting closer and farther away.
AMAX  in game

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 08:38:56 PM »
Q is direct mode. Slew your aim with the joystick and fire.
Shift-Q is land mode. Left-click on the clipboard map to set your target, fine tune with joystick and fire. The gun will automatically track that area based on a normal ship speed.
Ctrl-Q is sea mode. Slew you aim with joystick to your target and fire. The gun will automatically track the area based on a normal ship speed.

I've put it in sea mode before but can't move the gun. Do I need to copy settings to a certain mode?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 08:53:09 PM »
When I jump into the gun, the buffer says "Mode 1 Selected". I don't remember setting anything special to control the manned guns.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 09:02:58 PM »
getting back into game and have angered many already and cannot find a step by step explanation on how this works for ship and shore guns. was told press ctrl and q .well duh that tells me nothing. the help page has nothing on it ,the fact that its almost totally dedicated to flying leaves out many other aspects of this game when it comes to tanks gunnery etc.
 well us newbies need help and if anybody wishes  to provide an explanation in a step by step format on how to enter sea mode and land mode ,how to use it to target objects in sea mode and land mode.i for 1 will be greatly appreciative and i thank you now!!

as for hightec i believe its long overdue for an upgrade on your help topics page to identify each aspect of this game with separate links for planes, tanks, ships,guns and any other topics needed to quicken the search efforts of your users. the current page has not changed since i last played in 2009

I'm decent in the 8" on the cruiser. Hmu if you see me in game I'll show you what I know. Same name there as here
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 02:29:31 PM »
Control + Q is sea mode (used for tracking other fleets)
Shift + Q is land mode (used for tracking land targets)

BONUS:  In land mode, bring the clipboard map up and point and click on area on map that is range = the guns automatically move to that position and elevation to target that spot on the map.

How do you know what to do next? 

Answer these Questions?  Is your target a Land Target?  Is your target Another Fleet?  Now select the proper mode.  In the upper left hand corner of the screen below the range numbers, the mode selected will be displayed.  There are also now 2 new rulers placed onto your views.  The yellow line ruler will represent the elevation in relation to the horizon.  The gray cross hair shaped ruler takes the place of your cursor.

How do I aim with the new ruler gridlines?

Move your mouse to control the gray gridline ruler.  Move it along the horizon until it meets the yellow gridline on the horizon.  Note, the actual elevation trajectory will still be represented by the white circle gunsight (this is irrelevant for anything other than AA use).  Choose HE rounds.  Depending on the movement of your guns ship, the yellow center hash mark should center on the target (move you joystick left and right to adjust).  Push the joystick back to move the yellow line up to the horizon and push joystick forward to move down from the horizon.  You may also use the mouse to move the cursors gray gridline to help calculate the amount of adjustment from yellow center line needed for an accurate line (again this is dependent on whether or not this is a land target or sea target and the direction of sailing fleets).

I've put it in sea mode before but can't move the gun. Do I need to copy settings to a certain mode?

I would bet that you were zoomed in and it appeared that you were not moving the gun when actually you were moving just at a much slower rate than what you were used to.  Try again and zoom out and use the joystick to see what I mean.  Also, the numbers in the range would change to indicate movement was occurring.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 02:34:31 PM by Chilli »

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 03:40:35 PM »

BONUS:  In land mode, bring the clipboard map up and point and click on area on map that is range = the guns automatically move to that position and elevation to target that spot on the map.

Answer these Questions?  Is your target a Land Target?  Is your target Another Fleet?  Now select the proper mode.  In the upper left hand corner of the screen below the range numbers, the mode selected will be displayed.  There are also now 2 new rulers placed onto your views.  The yellow line ruler will represent the elevation in relation to the horizon.  The gray cross hair shaped ruler takes the place of your cursor.

Move your mouse to control the gray gridline ruler.  Move it along the horizon until it meets the yellow gridline on the horizon.  Note, the actual elevation trajectory will still be represented by the white circle gunsight (this is irrelevant for anything other than AA use).  Choose HE rounds.  Depending on the movement of your guns ship, the yellow center hash mark should center on the target (move you joystick left and right to adjust).  Push the joystick back to move the yellow line up to the horizon and push joystick forward to move down from the horizon.  You may also use the mouse to move the cursors gray gridline to help calculate the amount of adjustment from yellow center line needed for an accurate line (again this is dependent on whether or not this is a land target or sea target and the direction of sailing fleets).

I would bet that you were zoomed in and it appeared that you were not moving the gun when actually you were moving just at a much slower rate than what you were used to.  Try again and zoom out and use the joystick to see what I mean.  Also, the numbers in the range would change to indicate movement was occurring.

Ill give that a shot. (Pun I guess)

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 02:38:53 PM »
just want to thank everybody for your input will have lots of things to practice now

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 03:44:14 PM »

You were correct.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 04:07:15 PM »

You were correct.

How did I know?   Happened to me also............   :lol

Offline shoresroad

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 04:10:03 PM »
This really is very good information and should maybe be a sticky in the the Help section...

Thanks to all for this!  :salute
"Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant."
Manfred von Richthofen