Author Topic: Starting New Build  (Read 432 times)

Offline Bellator

• Copper Member
Starting New Build
« on: June 02, 2014, 05:40:48 AM »
 This is my first build from the ground up.
So comments and Suggestions welcome.  Guys don't let me mess up now!

Case: Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Military Green Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case.

PSU: CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply.

OS System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM.

Hard Drive: Western Digital WD VelociRaptor WD5000HHTZ 500GB 10000 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - OEM.

Mother Board: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard.

CD / DVD Drive: ASUS DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics.

<S> Bellator

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
Re: Starting New Build
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 08:41:40 AM »
The naked MB is already in the box, first mistake already made.

2nd, that 70's furniture in the background.  Hideous!
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 10:44:17 AM »
Vid card?

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 11:15:02 AM »
There are some who would only recommend Seasonic Power supply, 850w might be a bit overkill but is fine. I think if it were me I would go for an SSD drive for OS and a regulars HDD maybe WD black in at least 1tb for storage.

But if you have the parts already I wouldn't change anything now, it looks pretty good as is. (at least to my amateur eyes)

Of course you didn't mention what vid card. Integrated graphics probably isn't going to cut it. Also, you will need RAM.

And yeah probably better to do most assembly before you mount the mobo. You may need to depending on your CPU cooler.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 11:28:25 AM by jimson »

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 02:23:08 AM »
Take the other side panel off of the case, and route /hide your wiring from that :Modular" PSU ....... through all those rubber grommets that are provided for you to do so.......... then only use the modular plug wiring on the PSU that you need for stuff like the sata cables for the DVDRW and the Videocard ( when you get one ) and the WD Velociraptor HD .....

you might want to take the Motherboard back out and mount the processor( CPU )  then apply your thermal paste ( preferably Arctic silver 5 ) then attach the CPU Heatsink cooler & Fan....

if you have a Large CPU Heatsink and cooler/fan....... you might want to test your memory to make sure it don't hit the Dimm's closest to the CPU & HeatSink ...... sometimes people will run into this problem and should order low profile memory Dimms in this case/situation.....

I personally always mount my CPU and Heatsink/cooler to the Motherboard before I install it into the case................. sometimes I even go ahead and install/seat all my system memory to.....

hope this helps............. wish you the best of luck!

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bellator

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 07:06:26 AM »
   Okay guys. Yes, I was going to take the board back out. I still have fans to install in the board itself.

Jimson: I believe the Corsair PSU is manufactured by Seasonic anyway. You just pay a little more for the Corsair name. I got enough of a deal on it I didn’t care about the couple extra bucks.
    I went with the 850 watt PSU because I intend to run 2 vid cards.
SAPPHIRE FleX 100354FLEX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Haven’t bought them yet, so I can still flex on that.

For the Heat Sink, I had thought about water cooling with the Corsair Hydro Series.
I’m kinda skittish about that because I don’t know anything about them. But the C70 case is ready made for it. So the Jury is still out on that one.

As for the Memory the MOB will support 32GB. I’d like to do that all at one time but I’m afraid I’ll end up doing 16GB for starters.  I’m shopping.

TequillaChaser: Thanks for the heads up on the Memory / Heat Sink clearance. I never considered that as a factor.

And Dragon: Now you know why I can’t buy new furniture. LOL

<S> Bellator

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 01:47:43 PM »
For what I've read the Corsair HX 850 is made by Channel Well, although the HX 650 is made by Seasonic: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913-5.html

With water cooling there's always the risk of leaking. Someone on this board once told about a minor crack in the block, covered invisible under the screw. They don't run cooler or quieter either compared to the best air systems. Neither can you enhance their performance by simply blowing the dust away. Not to mention the increased risk of loosening hoses during road trips to a lan party.

And since you feel concerned about RAM /Heat sink clearance, water cooling won't cause any airflow around the memory sticks to cool them down.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 12:04:55 AM »
   Okay guys. Yes, I was going to take the board back out. I still have fans to install in the board itself.

Jimson: I believe the Corsair PSU is manufactured by Seasonic anyway. You just pay a little more for the Corsair name. I got enough of a deal on it I didn’t care about the couple extra bucks.
    I went with the 850 watt PSU because I intend to run 2 vid cards.
SAPPHIRE FleX 100354FLEX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Haven’t bought them yet, so I can still flex on that.

For the Heat Sink, I had thought about water cooling with the Corsair Hydro Series.
I’m kinda skittish about that because I don’t know anything about them. But the C70 case is ready made for it. So the Jury is still out on that one.

As for the Memory the MOB will support 32GB. I’d like to do that all at one time but I’m afraid I’ll end up doing 16GB for starters.  I’m shopping.

TequillaChaser: Thanks for the heads up on the Memory / Heat Sink clearance. I never considered that as a factor.

And Dragon: Now you know why I can’t buy new furniture. LOL

<S> Bellator

I have the Corsair HX750 and Corsair h80i.   No problems here and I utilized the expertise of Bill Owen on my build.   Nice build, I almost went with that case and would have modded the window, but went with a Fractal Design.   But Bill has built tens of thousands of rigs, not to mention modded almost as many.   

BTW, my Video Card is the loudest component in my case when gaming.   Only time you really hear the H80i is at startup.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC