Author Topic: Real Life - Anyone know of a WWII B-24 Crew Member?  (Read 763 times)

Offline HB555

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Real Life - Anyone know of a WWII B-24 Crew Member?
« on: August 11, 2014, 11:33:58 PM »
Just received my August edition of the Collings Foundation Newsletter. http://collingsfoundation.org/enews/enewsletter_Aug.14.htm
They have two requests.

First, for an IMAX film they are working on:

"Currently, we are looking for B-24 Veterans who would like to be interviewed and potentially cast in this singularly unique film. We are also looking for any women who worked at the Michigan Willow Run B-24 plant or women pilots (WASP) who ferried B-24s from Willow Run. If you are a B-24 Vet or know one who would like to be a part of the Last Liberator film please contact Hunter Chaney at the Collings Foundation."

With the large number of people we have in game, thought some of you may be able to provide leads.

Number two, I would encourage you to read the article, and respond, if you so chose.
Thank you,
Jack Snoopy Bell
HB555

Snoopy Bell

HB555 A gentleman, with a school boys heart, and crazy enough to think he is a cartoon dog.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
Re: Real Life - Anyone know of a WWII B-24 Crew Member?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 12:27:42 AM »
Yes.  Great Uncle is still alive.  Bailed from a 24 over Italy.

Send me a pm if you need more
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline HB555

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 12:38:13 AM »

Changeup, If you read the article I linked, they are requesting a possible interview. It is not for me.   :salute to your Uncle Bill.
Snoopy Bell

HB555 A gentleman, with a school boys heart, and crazy enough to think he is a cartoon dog.

Offline CptA

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 07:34:49 AM »
It's too late now...as he has already passed on, but my friend's Father would have been a perfect candidate for an interview.

El Spencer retired from his flying career as Chief Pilot for Zantop International Airlines (ZIA) operating out of Willow Run.

During his WW2 service with the U.S. Army Air Corps, he  served as a 'first flight' test pilot for the B-24s coming off the Willow Run assembly line.

He told interesting stories of catching hurried wartime production mistakes such as improperly installed control linkages and fuel system plumbing.

CptA

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 07:46:38 AM »
PoolFool's dad, I forget his in-game ID, was a B24 Gunner in WWII. He used to play AH a lot, great guy.
Top Gun

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 09:15:08 AM »

Thanks

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 03:58:24 PM »
Changeup, If you read the article I linked, they are requesting a possible interview. It is not for me.   :salute to your Uncle Bill.

We have contact.  Thanks for the information.  They'll be speaking next week along with a co-workers father who was a Navy Liberator ball turrent gunner.

If you're interested, Uncle Donald is published at Library of Congress

Donald George Shurig
"The Day I almost enjoyed WWII"

He bailed at 10k after being shot down over N Italy.  Very compelling read.

Offline CASHEW

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 06:33:36 PM »
I knew a 24 pilot that was shot down and taken as a POW. Unfortunately he passed away last month 
Peanut1 in game.

Offline shermanjr

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 06:36:12 PM »
my cousins grandfather was a ball gunner for b24s
475th fg dgs
404th fighter group Winter SKy Deth ground
361 st fg
1st pursuit squadron avg
+flyingfury+ main arena
in game name pattonjr

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 07:00:16 PM »
my cousins grandfather was a ball gunner for b24s

Your cousin grandfather. . .wouldn't that make it your grandfather also?  :headscratch:
Top Gun

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 07:15:36 PM »
**raises hand**

**points to sigline**

My grandmother's brother, the late Cpt Ralph Oliver Brown, was a pilot in a B24 in the PTO as well, I dont have as many details on his service though.  I do have his bomber jacket, and a signed baseball from Babe Ruth when Ralph caught for him.  Lots of other little mementos, too (sidearm holster, etc).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 07:18:10 PM by SmokinLoon »
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 01:06:05 AM »
I sent an e-mail to Fred Holdrege, CO of the 790th Bombardment Squadron, the squadron that Witchcraft flew in.  He flew 30 combat missions.  (Witchcraft is what the Collings Foundation B-24 is painted as.)