Author Topic: HQ Downtime should be tied to 25% fuel reduction - Reasons Why  (Read 2303 times)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: HQ Downtime should be tied to 25% fuel reduction - Reasons Why
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2014, 03:27:55 PM »

Is there a viable alternative that does NOT involve loss of radar for a country when HQ goes down?

How about you only have access to local radar.  If you are at 10,11, then you can only see dot/bar dar for that sector.  If you move to another sector then you are able to see that sectors dot/bar dar, but can no longer see the radar in sector you just left.   Simulates losing central command & control?
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2014, 03:30:31 PM »
Lusche your solution just simply adjusts the bar (no pun intended).  What it doesn't address is a blank map showing no activity other than a base flashing here or there.  

An this was exactly my intention. Any other mechanism has very likely some additional implication that often are difficult to judge beforehand to the full extend. Or may be techically difficult to implement.
I wanted to keep any adjustment as simple as possible. In my opinion, it's simply the balance that's off witth the current settings : 1 player, with little difficulty (on several maps) vs maximum effect for long times.

So my proposal is just trying to readjust this balance without much trouble. Triple damage requirement, downtime fixed 30 minutes, no matter what.

Oh, and because I know HiTech prefers simple (or elegant) solutions... that is, if he see's any problem at all ;)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 03:37:41 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2014, 03:39:33 PM »
How about you only have access to local radar.  If you are at 10,11, then you can only see dot/bar dar for that sector.  If you move to another sector then you are able to see that sectors dot/bar dar, but can no longer see the radar in sector you just left.   Simulates losing central command & control?

I like this idea.  Couple this with Lusche's 3x(maybe 2x or 2.5x?) damage/no resupply and I'd vote for it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2014, 03:48:11 PM »

I like that idea also.  I just ponder how difficult it would be to have the servers update that much information for every pilot as they travel from sector to sector.  It could be nill..... 

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2014, 04:00:57 PM »
I like that idea also.  I just ponder how difficult it would be to have the servers update that much information for every pilot as they travel from sector to sector.  It could be nill..... 

All it would need to do is only report bardar for whatever sector you're in.  It would all be done on the client side, it would all be the same info, it would just ignore the other sectors when the HQ is down.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2014, 04:17:17 PM »
I understand better thanks Wiley.  Now, would that put strain on client's (player's) resources when switching from sector to sector, doing the same sort of updating?

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2014, 04:24:11 PM »
I understand better thanks Wiley.  Now, would that put strain on client's (player's) resources when switching from sector to sector, doing the same sort of updating?

Can't see it, it wouldn't be changing much computationally other than a check to see what sector to display for, which would only need to update every time the dar updates for your vehicle.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2014, 04:42:10 PM »
Where radar is concerned, as Hitech had years of experience in his decision to how the HO shot would be presented in AH versus AW and WB. I have to think he has an evolved experiential reason for our current RADAR. I wonder how far from our analysis as players of the reasoning behind the current RADAR is Hitech's actual purpose to it's implementation.

As forum members do the search for very old statements by Hitech on core issues, we and he are often oceans apart with our assumptions. We need to be prepared for change that we didn't think we needed. Complexity is often it's own reward in social dialogs, opposed to simple boring efficiency.   
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2014, 04:52:11 PM »
I was just imagining the most extreme example, high numbers in a furball, engaging enemy (visa versa) ... switch to another sector back and forth (intentionally or not)... could cause warping????  

This is still a question as I don't know that warps are internet related but have experienced some events on my computer that made me dizzy  :rolleyes:

Bustr,

Yes, you are right, I am most likely so far away from the reality of what is happening with this game and THEN there are times when HTC does something entirely out of the blue and it was like they read my mind (and improved on it of course). 

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2014, 04:54:12 PM »
Free your mind.  Think of the HQ blackout as excellent practice for the FSO's.

If I want to be bored to death playing hide and seek, I will sign up for FSO.

Is there a viable alternative that does NOT involve loss of radar for a country when HQ goes down?

There are many alternatives available.  I don't think 75% fuel is all that steep of a price for a downed HQ, though. 

What would be nice is:

A. HQ is hardened to require more damage.
B. Move HQ to the city and increase defenses.
C. An automated message goes out on country text whenever the HQ goes down, so noobs know what the Hell is going on.
D. An automated message goes out on country text whenever the HQ is down at log in, so noobs know what the Hell is going on.

My preference for HQ being flat is that all of the victim country's auto-ack is neutralized until resupplied.  This would give the attackers a huge reward, by helping to take bases without hide and seek. 

This is from a different issue, but the problem is the same:

Quote from: hitech on November 29, 2005, 03:01:11 PM

Docs Idea of no ICons is not workable either. People want to fight, not fly around looking for a fight.No Icons has been tried, and very quicly becomes boring.

HiTech

"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Lucifer

• Probation 9/1/2017
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2014, 05:07:32 PM »
Might be a good idea to try, Chilli.

Btw, some HQ raiders r kinda funny : they bomb HQ then 2 min later, cry on 200 because they cant find a good furball to fight in...  :aok

" Army Of Wolves "

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2014, 07:48:18 PM »
Might be a good idea to try, Chilli.

Btw, some HQ raiders r kinda funny : they bomb HQ then 2 min later, cry on 200 because they cant find a good furball to fight in...  :aok

Or bail when someone tries to intercept them. :furious
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2014, 09:01:27 PM »
How about this.
HQ down removes the dot dar across the board leaving only local dar bar.In addition to this It should also remove the "Base under attack" message
(Base under attack message should also be updated to say or include a system text message similar to "joeblow landed 3 kills in a..." as to which base is under attack.)
Another addition that IMO needs to be made is a situation board of sorts that can only be looked at in the tower that has a readout of which bases are being attacked. Which bases a side is attacking. And the number of estimated planes or vehicles both friendly and enemy involved in the engagement. This could also be effected by damage to HQ as it would represent accurate G2 intel. The3 more damaged HQ is. the less that is displayed

Leaving local dar bars on would simulate local radar

BUT if the radar tower does down at say A42 as well as HQ being down then all dar in that area and adjacent  areas without a friendly dar ring becomes non existent

Hitting HQ should also reduce ALL strats resupply by an additional 25% on top of what other damage may have been done to them
This would represent the disruption in the command communication system

With all due respect I think the opposite is really what should happen - the local dot dar stays up (after all the local operator is peering into his 12 mile scope and calling out cons on local radio), and what should happen is that DAR BAR should suffer.   The "suffering" I propose is that with HQ down, Dar Bar update time goes up (since no G2 is disseminating the intel from HQ to the local airfields).  In FSO we had a couple of scenarios where Dar Bars would only update every 5 minutes instead of in real time - something like that should happen if the HQ goes down.   Perhaps a 15 minute span of No Dar Bars, followed by Dar Bars that only update every 5 minutes as HQ gets itself put back together after an air raid.

Offline Lucifer

• Probation 9/1/2017
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2014, 09:14:17 AM »
Right, forgot this gay Lame move !  :D

Or bail when someone tries to intercept them. :furious

" Army Of Wolves "