Author Topic: Gaming Laptop  (Read 735 times)

Offline Pluto

• Nickel Member
Gaming Laptop
« on: September 22, 2014, 10:32:07 PM »
Work is sending me out of state for a month or better and instead of packing around my desktop I was thinking of buying a laptop.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should get for gaming?  My budget is between 1000 and 1500 dollars.

Offline Mitchell

• Copper Member
Re: Gaming Laptop
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 11:06:05 PM »
http://www.xoticpc.com/

I've bought 2 gaming laptops from them, ship times can vary based on all the extras you pick though.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 11:23:38 PM »
J just bought a new laptop and as I was researching what I wanted both Lenovo and MSI kept showing up on my short lists.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 04:13:56 PM »
Razer makes some pretty good gaming laptops but little on the pricey side.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Pluto

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 11:42:36 PM »
 I ended up getting a MSI GT70 2200.  It is going to take some time getting used to only having one screen.  Im not sure if I am going to take my Trackir, hotas setup and pedals though. I probably should that way I dont have to relearn  playing with a twisty stick and hat switches. Im just barely getting used to what I use now.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 11:35:26 AM »
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-republic-of-gamers-rog-17-3-laptop-16gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-256gb-solid-state-drive-black/1307523117.p?id=mp1307523117&skuId=1307523117&st=categoryid$abcat0502000&cp=1&lp=2#tab=buyingOptions

I've owned two Asus 17" laptops. While not my day to day gaming computer they do run AH with ease.

A similar model with a few less bells & whistles is sold by Best Buy for $1.3K
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 11:38:17 AM by Max »

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 03:16:42 PM »
Sager.   Everything else is fighting for second.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 04:30:44 PM »
Sager.   Everything else is fighting for second.

Are they really that good?  They approached us to do a partnering deal at a trade show but they couldn't match Razer's offer.  Heard very good things about them but never saw one in action.  I wonder if they run as hot as the Razer ones do, that's been the major downside of running the Razer laptops for extended periods of time.  We've been running them in 2 hour stretches and then letting them cool down but they do run games very well.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 06:55:39 PM »
Are they really that good?  They approached us to do a partnering deal at a trade show but they couldn't match Razer's offer.  Heard very good things about them but never saw one in action.  I wonder if they run as hot as the Razer ones do, that's been the major downside of running the Razer laptops for extended periods of time.  We've been running them in 2 hour stretches and then letting them cool down but they do run games very well.

They are that good.   I have five buddies with them and they are more than happy with the results.   While they are on par with Alienware in price, you get three times the laptop.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 10:13:59 AM »
When the Oculas Rift comes on line next year, having the 'box' computer with several monitors idea will be dead because the device drives the video.  I'm not 100% sure on a architecture - is the video driven by the headset or the video card.  For example, if you have a great video card, does it mean better and smoother the video through the headset? Or is it all though the headset?

A laptop with a good gaming mobile video card could be just as effective as having a Ferrari home gaming PC because a single video signal being driven with the Rift.

BTW Pluto - good choice on the laptop. It should run the new version of AH just fine. :aok
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 10:17:48 AM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 04:50:16 PM »
When the Oculas Rift comes on line next year, having the 'box' computer with several monitors idea will be dead because the device drives the video.  I'm not 100% sure on a architecture - is the video driven by the headset or the video card.  For example, if you have a great video card, does it mean better and smoother the video through the headset? Or is it all though the headset?

A laptop with a good gaming mobile video card could be just as effective as having a Ferrari home gaming PC because a single video signal being driven with the Rift.

BTW Pluto - good choice on the laptop. It should run the new version of AH just fine. :aok

You need to have a very fast computer and a fast display card because you're going to have to push 1080p or more at a steady 75fps minimum, preferably higher. Depending from game that may require above average hardware.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Pluto

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 09:11:33 PM »
Thanks Mister Fork. Thats good to hear. I can't wait to try it out.  I should have it in a couple of days.