Author Topic: Speeding up an older computer  (Read 1324 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Speeding up an older computer
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 09:28:54 AM »
If you say so.

Again, although even many downloadsites advertise CCleaner as an ad- and spyware cleaner, it isn't. The same result in temporary files cleaning can be achieved with built-in Windows tools if you know how to do it. Plus of course deleting each browser's history. And Flash Player's history. And...

Then again, I've heard that the worst ad- and spyware you can install to your PC are Windows, Internet Explorer, Norton, McAfee...

I suppose the portable version doesn't install anything on your computer: https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

Ccleaner helps users to clear cache of old service packs etc. which can free up to a gigabyte of hdd space. That's about the only use I see for it.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 10:51:35 AM »
Ccleaner helps users to clear cache of old service packs etc. which can free up to a gigabyte of hdd space. That's about the only use I see for it.
What else would you expect? It's built for that and it does what it promises. Plus it cleans the registry in a nondestructive way, cleaning the debris uninstalled programs leave. Plus it gives a nice interface for managing programs at startup.

I've tested other similar programs, that do all that and also claim to find and delete malware. My experience has been that they easily clean more than they should, causing legit programs to be re(pair)installed. Their malware findings look dramatic, but a closer look will reveal that the "spyware" they list are regular cookies from visited sites. I don't believe cookies from HiTechCreations and other similar sites are spying on anyone, so labeling all cookies as "Tracking Cookies" is overly dramatic and will only cause unnecessary panic among regular users who are considered about their safety. Wolf, wolf, cried the shepherd boy...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2014, 11:12:37 AM »
What else would you expect? It's built for that and it does what it promises. Plus it cleans the registry in a nondestructive way, cleaning the debris uninstalled programs leave. Plus it gives a nice interface for managing programs at startup.

I've tested other similar programs, that do all that and also claim to find and delete malware. My experience has been that they easily clean more than they should, causing legit programs to be re(pair)installed. Their malware findings look dramatic, but a closer look will reveal that the "spyware" they list are regular cookies from visited sites. I don't believe cookies from HiTechCreations and other similar sites are spying on anyone, so labeling all cookies as "Tracking Cookies" is overly dramatic and will only cause unnecessary panic among regular users who are considered about their safety. Wolf, wolf, cried the shepherd boy...

The registry cleaning portion is questionable, I haven't noticed any improvement after using it but no failures either. I've come to the conclusion that the registry cleaner does little or nothing beneficial.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 12:32:16 PM »
The registry cleaning portion is questionable, I haven't noticed any improvement after using it but no failures either. I've come to the conclusion that the registry cleaner does little or nothing beneficial.
Knowing your surfing habits and your profession I'm not surprised. You shouldn't notice any improvement, at least not on your personal computer. My customers have been very happy after I've cleaned their computers with CCleaner, so apparently it works. Furthermore, there was an article by Fred Langa in WindowsSecrets.com where he tested whether registry cleaning would do any good in Windows 7 or not. He clocked the startup of a lean clean computer, then he installed some well known "potentially unwanted programs", clocked again to notice the boot time had increased by minutes. Then he uninstalled the said PUP's the normal way, noticing the boot time was still over double to the original. CCleaner and a couple of other reputable registry cleaners normalized the boot time.

Of course you can dispute the testing method, but in my opinion if several cleaners all give similar results there must be a noticeable improvement. And as you said, no failures either. In my eyes that's a good attribute for any program.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 01:12:56 PM »
I use CCleaner and Wise 365 in conjunction of one another.  I've never had a problem with either of the programs.

Coogan  :aok

From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2014, 12:22:45 PM »
I can vouch for CCleaner as well
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you