Author Topic: Shotshell reloading  (Read 678 times)

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
Re: Shotshell reloading
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 12:56:41 PM »
It was only a couple years ago I wouldn't even waste my time reloading because I could pick up a box of winchester super speed at walmart for $5. Now ammo is so expensive I reload my own shells but its getting expensive to reload as well. I love shooting sporting clays but the cost of the game has me sidelined for a while. $60 for ammo, $45 for clays, and $10-20 for golf cart rental. $125 per outing adds up quick.  :(

This is the recipe I use for my shells. I shoot 7/8 for practice and 1 ounce for competitions.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipePrint.aspx?shotype=&weight=0.875&weightdis=7%2f8&shellid=492&gtypeid=3&gauge=12&lid=67
Why I had to quit . All my saved money went into my home I built and just never had the money to get back into it . Seems to go into home improvement now . Like the new shop I am building .
 Shooting trap's I was loading 4 oz of number 4 for the back line . We did not go by the recipe book , lol .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 04:57:49 PM »
I'm somewhat ignorant about reloading costs. Without accounting for the cost of the non-consumables such as the reloading equipment and tools; is it cheaper to reload/hand load ammunition vs purchasing a box of ammo off the shelf for common ammo types for rifles, pistols, and shotguns such as 7.62mm, .223, .308, 9mm, and 12 gauge? If so (or not), about how much is the difference between reloading and store bought?

It depends on exactly what you're loading, but generally, yes. In 9mm, I can load 115 gr. plinking rounds using plated bullets for about $.19 per round, which is about $.05 cheaper than the lowest store bought. If I'm loading 158 gr. subsonic, though, my cost goes up to about $.21 but store bought goes up to about $.38 per round. For .300 AAC Blackout subsonics the difference is even more dramatic, about $.50 a round to reload vs. $1.25 to $1.50 a pop for store bought, if you can even find it. At that rate a few trips to the range go a long way toward recovering the cost of the press and other equipment.

Reloading is also becoming more economical than it used to be for military calibers like 5.56x45mm and 7.62x51mm as the supply of cheap military surplus ammo has mostly dried up.

And of course if you shoot anything exotic, including anything with black powder, reloading is an absolute necessity.

On a less related note, is there a method out there for a private citizen to easily reload rimfire type cartridges such as the .22 LR?

No.

As to the original question, for a while loaded ammo, bullets, and primers were also impossible to get, but those bottlenecks seem to have cleared, leaving powder as the one component you can't find. Powder is coming in, it just flies off the shelf faster than it arrives. You can set an alert or backorder at a lot of online stores, but the cost of hazmat shipping makes that an expensive route unless you're buying a lot at once. The best thing is to have a friend who works at a gun store.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 07:29:53 PM »
Here in Central Oregon you can buy shotgun ammo by the cases only ammo hard to find over here is 22 ammo.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 09:16:39 PM »
Here in Central Oregon you can buy shotgun ammo by the cases only ammo hard to find over here is 22 ammo.
What about smokeless powder?
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes