Author Topic: Time for me to upgrade my I7 900 series (1st gen) cpu?  (Read 817 times)

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Time for me to upgrade my I7 900 series (1st gen) cpu?
« on: December 27, 2014, 04:50:40 PM »
So I've got a i7 920 2.6Ghz running @ 4.0Ghz. I was wondering if I would see a performance boost worthy of the price if I switched to a 4790k build?

Any of you gents have experience upgrading from Intel's first generation i7?

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Re: Time for me to upgrade my I7 900 series (1st gen) cpu?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 08:32:02 PM »
This HTPC I'm typing on is a similar PC, with an old (but fantastic at the time) 5770 ATI card.  Comparing it to my gaming rigs, which are socket 2011 and 2011v3 platforms (similar performance to the 4790k), it's quite a large jump, but much of that is based on the GPU as well.

A 4790k platform is right up there at the top of the gaming CPU systems you can build.  I've said this often before though, that various gaming magazines and sights have tested all the CPUs currently out there from the 2500k up to the socket 2011v3 stuff like the 5820, 5930k, and 5960x and so forth - with the same video card there isn't a whole lot of difference, ie it's mostly down to the GPU if you have a decent CPU issued in the last couple/few years.

I would say though that since the i7 900 series is a fair bit older than any of the newer i5/i7 platforms from the last couple years, this may stretch out to a higher value, and be well worth it.  Of course, the GPU is still going to be the most important feature in terms of gaming performance.  What GPU are you using now, and do you plan on upgrading it?  970 cards are under 300$ if you search about, or get a used/newish one, and that IMO would be an important thing to upgrade as well as your MB and CPU.  Of course along with that likely comes a PSU upgrade, and so on, so it can add up quickly.  Just upgrading your CPU alone, assuming your MB will take it, and considering you won't be able to get that much faster of a CPU on that current MB anyhow = not worth it.  However upgrading the MB, Cpu, and GPU(depending on what you have now) will be quite the jump in performance, especially going from your current setup to a 4790k with a decent GPU.

edit - A shame Midway is banned from the BBS, this type of inquiry would have him spasming all over the forums, with news of a potential Kazaa super FPH return based on upgrading.  Ha ha.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 08:35:36 PM by Gman »

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 01:04:55 AM »
Still running an i7 950 myself.  Gonna hold out and build a Skylake based rig next year.  Haven't been gaming as much lately but doing more and more work with Pro Tools, Photoshop, and Video.  Waiting for Skylake will give me a longer and better return on investment.

..edited to fix Skylark/Skylake typo
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 01:07:41 AM by jigsaw »

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 10:30:16 AM »
First of all I really appreciate both of your replies.

@Gman: I have a Nvidia 780 GTX Classified GPU so I think you'll agree that it's rather good. I also have a 1000W PSU so that doesn't need upgrading either. I've been doing a lot of streaming on Twitch as of late so I really want to get a solid system which will be some what future proof in years to come. This current system (built in 2009) has done so well but I fear it might reaching its end.

@Jigsaw: I haven't even read about Skylake yet. It sound like waiting a few months will be the best course of action.

Cheers gents,

<S>

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 08:13:02 PM »
Sounds good Kazaa, you should be good to go then with whatever you decide to do, either wait for the next platform, or pick off a good deal with a newer CPU now - some great deals this week in my neck of the woods for combo MB and 4790k packages.  You're right as well, with that PSU and GPU you should see a noticeable increase if you keep them and just plunk that current hardware into a new MB/CPU sort of deal.  I had that card in one system just recently, should work great.

So you're preparing to come back to AH for the next version I hope?  I also assume like every other British gamer on the planet you'll be playing Elite Dangerous too?

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 05:24:18 AM »
I have also seen a plethora of really amazing deals in my neck of the woods for 4790k packages also. To tell you the truth, that's what gave me the idea to ask around. The Hardware section on HTC's BBS has always been a community with solid opinions, so I thought to myself: There's no harm in asking here either.

I've been thinking about coming back to Aces High since the day I decided to cancel my subscription (four years give or take one). But there has been nothing really of note in the game's development... So I decided to seek other ventures to test myself.

I've tried almost every other flight simulator that I can find, but nothing has ever came close to adrenalin inducing action and pure overload of dopamine which Aces High gave. I'm certainly interested checking out the "new" graphics engine upon release. It would be great to stream my first ever sortie back to truly see if this old dog still has it. :aok

I've yet to check out Elite Dangerous.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:23:41 AM by Kazaa »

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 04:17:42 PM »
can I have your old mb/processor  ?    :devil
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 06:28:00 PM »
can I have your old mb/processor  ?    :devil

If you can wait a couple months, maybe. ;)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 06:39:35 PM by Kazaa »