Author Topic: Need a hand setting up a film shot from ground angle  (Read 490 times)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Need a hand setting up a film shot from ground angle
« on: December 20, 2014, 02:47:42 PM »
Been playing around with the viewer. Trying to set up a shot of bombs hitting a hangar from the general vicinity of that hangar on the ground. I can't seem to get my view as I'd like it generally on the ground looking upwards at the falling bombs as they hit. I know I've seen others that have done it. I'm missing something. Anyone? Thanks!

Pretty much wanted a record that I can hit things actually ON the ground and not JUST the ground with bombs. :D
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline F77

• Copper Member
Re: Need a hand setting up a film shot from ground angle
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 08:47:13 AM »
Hi, not the easiest thing to set up in the film viewer but I've done it a good few times.  You need to make it a "world relative".  At the point in the film where the bombs hit, move your viewpoint to the hangar and capture that position.  Move the camera to where you want it to finish and set that location.  Adjust the start time and duration to what you require.  I would then adjust your roll, pitch and yaw values at that point to get the sweeping shot you want.  The hardest bit is getting the world location.  Once you are in roughly the right place you can fine tune it by adjusting the values.

If you watch "Another one down" you'll see some carpet bombing and some pinpoint bombing done using this method.  "Alone, unarmed and unafraid" has a HQ hit which was a pain because I had to move the viewpoint down 30kft :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 08:49:56 AM by F77 »

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Need a hand setting up a film shot from ground angle
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 10:40:36 AM »
That's what I had been trying to do. Had a tough time getting myself to the spot I wanted to be in the first place. When I ran the shot to test it was a totally different external view of my plane. Timing was right. Angle all fubar. Haven't had time to mess with it. Thanks.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group